Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying Tyres Online?

Options
  • 08-01-2007 4:29pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone here bought tyres online? I need 2x Bridgestone Potenza 205/45/ZR17 and want to find the best deal.

www.eiretyres.com has been recommended here before, and so far I agree, great service and price - I emailed them and they got back to me very quickly and answered all my questions, with a price of €142 per tyre.

This sounds pretty good to me, but others have said you can get better prices through the UK. Does anyone know any off hand, or am I better off going with the safe bet of EireTyres?

How much does it usually cost for fitting and balancing per wheel?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Ive only just received my latest set of tyres of this company on thurs last (my third set in total in the last 24 months). Great price but their service is appaling. They took a month to arrive after loads of calls to some call centre in the middle of nowhere, where a woman named anca with a funny accent was unable to explain to me why my tyres hadnt arrived yet despite being assured of a delivery date 2 weeks earlier. It turns out they got my address worng and the tyres were sent back to germany from a uk depot. I was never allerted to this even when the tyres had been logged as returned to them and they refused to ship the new batch of tyres express courier even when I explained that my car was laid up because of the situation and that I had no transport. When I wished to make a formal complaint I was told to write an email and when I asked to speak to the persons supervisor I was refused.

A mate is in a similar situation, ordered four tyres in late november, and to date has only recieved one tyre if you'll believe it! For the sake of an extra 20 euro a tyre you are nearly better off going to a local guy imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I haved used eiretyres.com 5 or 6 times without issue. I got my tyres fitted at DR tyres beside kart city, near the airport. 10euro per corner to fit, and 5 extra euro per corner to balance. (they were the prices for balancing 7 months ago anyway). But balancing isnt always necessary. Last month I added 2 new Bridgestone Potenza RE720's fitted by DR tyres to the back without balancing and there is no vibration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Got 4 potenzas before christmas, 225 40 18 and it cost me €680 for supplied and fitted by a place in Cabra.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

recently got 2 tyres from eiretyres, ordered and delivered within 10 days...no complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

I have not bought tyres off eiretyres but a mate of mine has and he was very happy with them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Wheels should ALWAYS be balanced, both front & back. You'll make ribbons of your suspension & steering systems. You'll wear balljoints, drop links & bushes in no time.
    Balancing the rear wheels as well as it doesn't make a difference, this is again incorrect, you will cause wear without even knowing it.
    Tyres are not perfectly balanced when they come out of the factory, every tyre is different, they are made within tolerances (in other words not exact) so it would be irresponsible to say you can go without balancing.

http://www.carcare.org/Tires_Wheels/balance.shtml
    http://www.toyo.com.au/tech_info6.html

The roads in Ireland punish cars enough without out-of-balance wheels contributing.

As for Eiretyres I have never used them, but I have always used the site as a bench mark when looking for tyres. I have always been able to get the tyres fitted & balanced for the same price of supply from Eiretyres.

I find that Advance Tyres are always more expensive than the some of the smaller operations. I would make a few calls before committing to anything. Remember most tyre fitters when providing a quote actually qoute for the tyre fitted & balanced.
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

Remember most tyre fitters when providing a quote actually qoute for the tyre fitted & balanced.
    Best of luck!
    And can also supply faser than an online outlet!

I have used East Coast Tyres and found them very good. They can call to your home or place of work and supply, fit and balance the wheels. They also successfully straightened an alloy for me once ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

my brother did it, and he's happy - but he didn't save any money at all, really....he just didn't shop here properly !!

I got two 245/45-17 balanced & fitted for Eur 290 in local fitters, in rural Galway !! I challenge anyone to beat that for service - and they were off the shelf too.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Anyone have any suggestions of places in south Dublin to get them supplied fitted and balanced for a decent price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭eurotrotter

but there not any cheap so why bother?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

but there not any cheap so why bother?
    What?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I bought a set of Eagle Nct 5 's off eirtyres about 8 months ago. All went smooth even if I did manage to tear a hole in the wall of one of them when I clipped a kerb on a tight mini roundabout about a month after I got them. :mad:

Advertisement