Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installed MSDN Windows on OEM machine. Genuine Validation failing. Help!

• 08-01-2007 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I have a Dell laptop. It didn't come with any Windows CDs.

I needed to reinstall Windows.

I used a Windows MSDN CD I have to reinstall. It wouldn't accept my OEM Windows registration key, so I used the MSDN registration key.

Now I cannot register Windows, as it's recognising it as a pirate version (or something like that.)

Is there anyway I can fix this without having to format and reinstall using a Dell Windows CD? Obviously I'm not looking for a crack or some nonsense like that, all my copies of Windows are valid, I just want to be able to register Windows and continue as normal.

What options do I have?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Why doesn't your MSDN key work? Is it not valid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Might be worth giving Dell a ring to see if you can wangle a replacement CD out of them? If you have your Service Tag and OEM install key handy, all the better.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The OEM key probably won't work for the MSDN CD since it's not an OEM.
    also you aren't getting home/pro mixed up ;)

anyone know if the keys changed with service pack levels ?

borrow a CD from a friend

hassle Dell - sob story about loosing the restore partition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Thanks for all the replies.

Got it sorted -

When the Windows Activation fails it says "please ring Microsoft", so I gave them a ring.

An automated voice says "please type in the number on screen" so I did as they said. They then gave me another number to type into my computer.

And that was it! Windows is now working fine.

I guess their thinking is that a pirate wouldn't actually risk ringing them.

Advertisement