Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kangoo van

Options
  • 08-01-2007 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭

I'm in the process of getting a 2nd vehicle for general "running around". It really just has to be an A to B machine which is reliable.

I have narrowed my choice down to a Renault Kangoo van.
    A 2004 with 20-30k on the clock will set you back about 8k (possible cheaper in a haggled private sale) . The tax and insurance are very cheap and running cots are low as it's a 1.5 D engine.

Now - does anyone have any downsides? reliablity issues etc. I'm not bothered with speed or comfort etc......
    OR
    Can anyone think of something that would be a better option than the Kangoo?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

disadvantages: no passenger airbag, passenger seat folds (practical) but is very small and narrow (uncomfortable) ....doesn't matter if you don't regularly carry passengers.

possible alternatives:
    Opel/Vauxhall Combo ...the latest ones are only 1.3 diesel, so even cheaper
    Fiat Doblo ...also available as 1.3 diesel ...but buck-ugly

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I know two people using them as work vans. One a painter and one a plumber, both haulign a lot of crap around and neither have given any bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭delboy159

Thanks for the responses lads. Was looking at the Combi - it's an option if I find one at a good price.

Am a bit narrow minded on the FIAT option - can't get over the Fix It Again Tom image!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Delboy, we bought an 02 Kangoo at work about 18months ago. It had about 35k on the clock, and was purchased from a sparks, who was buying another one - usually a good sign. Ours is also the 1.5d (i think the turbo is a 1.9).
    As previous posters have pointed out, it is a very practical van/runabout, surprisingly good loadbay for small van, great visibility, low maintenance & running costs. One surprising omission (for a French vehicle) is the lack of a cup-holder - not a deal breaker i know, just thought it an oversight.
    Vans can come either with or without the side door, so although this is handy, it is only possible to open it from inside (no exterior lock/handle).
    Only gripe we have is with an aftermarket alarm.

It strikes me as the spiritual successor to the R4 van of yore, which aint a bad thing

Advertisement