Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation - QuinnTherm?

Options
  • 08-01-2007 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Am thinking of insulating my attic with Quinn Therm which is a cheaper similar product to the Kingspan product. Has anyone done it and if so have they found it to be good? I am told it give the same insulation as 12" of the more traditional roll out insulation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Are you insulating along the joists or the rafters??
    You will need less thickness as it has a better conductivity. But if you are going for a board insulation, there are better products again.
    But as for cost im not sure which is the cheapest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭elqu

I'm insulating the floor of the attic. Want to be sure of doing the best job for my money. What thickness should it be? I've tried to find a standard on the internet without sucess. Is there a better product I should be considering?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you are insulation along the joists (floor), using a board type insulation can be difficult. very hard to cut the boards to fit around timbers. I would consider using boards along the rafters (slope), but along the joists go for a quilt insulation,

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

We have quite a few Scandinavian builders working for us and they tell me that Polyeurethene is never used between the rafters there.
    "When the Thermal Imaging cameras become more prevelent here we will see why" they told me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭elqu

Did they say what they do use? :)
    Have decided to go with rockwook in any case, 150mm thickness. Hope it keeps me warm! Thanks for all the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

For a really good job, go with the rockwool between the joists and then counter batten them and insert sheets of quinn or kingspan in the space. Then floor over that.

elqu wrote:
    Did they say what they do use? :)
    Have decided to go with rockwook in any case, 150mm thickness. Hope it keeps me warm! Thanks for all the advice.

Rockwool and Paroc are the market leaders in Scandinavia for insulation between the rafters, they both have a good combination of density and U-value, and both are breathable.
    A windstop board would improve things a lot more though when used with the rockwool.

davidoco wrote:
    For a really good job, go with the rockwool between the joists and then counter batten them and insert sheets of quinn or kingspan in the space. Then floor over that.

Sheets of Quinn or Kingspan are not breathable and will push the moisture that will build up in the rockwool, towards the roof wood and cause fungal or mould growth.
    Better to use a breathable board on top of the rockwool like softboard.
    This improves the decrement delay, windstop abilities and U-value of the roof and also allows it to breathe/sweat.

Advertisement