Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rambo look for target shooting!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

There is nothing wrong with wearing camo on the range, it keeps you warm and dry when you don't want to get your Berghaus mucky. I would find it a little creepy if someone turned up in full period uniform, head to toe but heh what ever rings your bell, if they're safe I'm happy.

It's not the golf club, it's the range. Some people are going to think we're daft just because we want to shoot firearms, regardless of what we're wearing. We're always trying to over-regulate ourselves for fear they will take our toys away, like the restricted list, we're the ones thinking of what should and should not be restricted, when nothing should be.

This has probably been said in earlier posts but I couldn't arsed reading them all.:D :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Sparks wrote:
    That's not what happened CG, if you're going to call a large group of the community traitors, at least get the historical facts right.

Well then YOU tell us Sparks what happened!!!Give us your version of history!:rolleyes: After all,I am just a mere reader of the firearms press at the time,a then member of the shooters rights group,and then applicant for a firearms cert to bring my firearms to the UK on or about the time Dunblane happened.So I would be totally confused about the whole thing,I'm sure.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Traitors ??No ,more like Quislings. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

What happened CG, was that the NSRA accepted the government's assurance that it would not draft policy until after the Lord Cullen report was published, an assurance the government then broke. What happened was that a marketing-savvy New Labour used Dunblane and the negative public image of shooting left over from Hungerford to push in a worse ban than the Torys thought up, shafting the NSRA and everyone else in the process, purely to get into power. What happened was that everyone thought they could ignore PR and public opinion as being irrelevant and in some way dirty, and they were crucified for it.

In the meantime, you had ISSF pistol shooters on marches, on the BBC, and writing everywhere opposing the ban, not just for their firearms, but the ban as a whole. If anyone did in pistol shooting in the UK, it was New Labour's marketing department, not ISSF shooter; and if anyone in the shooting community there should have fingers pointed at, it was those who were wandering around muttering 'Molon Labe' while firing handcannons at sandbags at a point where public opinion was critical. As to shooters rights groups, don't make me laugh. SA do nothing but promote crackpot books on dunblane and opposing holding the olympics in London. About as useful as a chocolate covered frying pan, and the way they continually "forget" that there were ISSF shooters in the protests with everyone else is very insulting.

Sparks wrote:
    What happened CG, was that the NSRA accepted the government's assurance that it would not draft policy until after the Lord Cullen report was published, an assurance the government then broke. What happened was that a marketing-savvy New Labour used Dunblane and the negative public image of shooting left over from Hungerford to push in a worse ban than the Torys thought up, shafting the NSRA and everyone else in the process, purely to get into power.
    What happened was that everyone thought they could ignore PR and public opinion as being irrelevant and in some way dirty, and they were crucified for it.

Apart from the few crackpot organisations and people as you would call them,who thought the "dignified silence" was a bad move.But were drowned out by the "respectable" organisations who turned out to be total paper tigers.
    In the meantime, you had ISSF pistol shooters on marches, on the BBC, and writing everywhere opposing the ban, not just for their firearms, but the ban as a whole. If anyone did in pistol shooting in the UK, it was New Labour's marketing department, not ISSF shooter;

Just ISSF???There were quite a few others as well.
    and if anyone in the shooting community there should have fingers pointed at, it was those who were wandering around muttering 'Molon Labe' while firing handcannons at sandbags at a point where public opinion was critical. As to shooters rights groups, don't make me laugh. SA do nothing but promote crackpot books on dunblane and opposing holding the olympics in London. About as useful as a chocolate covered frying pan,

Ah yeah,there were have Sparks bigoty and bias against anything that comes up against olympic style shooting.Typical.:mad:

Mind telling what sort of backroom deals were being cut with the old boys networks and the olympic comittte were cutting with new Labour and the Tories???Well the Tories leader was about as much help as a piece of wood in a fire and were on the way out.
    Maybe they have a point about London.Why should a minority elite of backstabbers and appeasers be given extra privilidges just because their olympic minority sport is now being supposedly held in gun free Britan?We are all equal as gun owners supposedly,so the Olympians as far as I am concerned can go hump off and travel like the rest of us,no matter how many gold medals they win is irrevelant to the great unwashed anyway.Plus Sparks,when I talked to people in the NRA UK,it was oh get a 22 pistol and take up target shooting old chap it will be as safe as houses,and that came from a few of the organisations.After I asked why,it was well, somone will have to go,better them than us.Sorry Sparks,I dont hold the UK branches of the "respectable" side of shooting in any awe or honour.As a matter of fact that bunch of yesterdays men and the way they treated and backstabbed my side of the shooting sports,I hold them in utter contempt!!!!

At least SRA had the gumption to see the writing on the wall,unlike the rest of the fuddy duddies in the NRA ,etc.

Personally Sparks,I can see this will go on for ever between us,and we have debated this issue before as wellyou will counter and I will counter and I have more things to do than engage in a FLAG style flame on this.You have your convictions on this,I have mine.So lets agree to disagree?
    and the way they continually "forget" that there were ISSF shooters in the protests with everyone else is very insulting.

Maybe you should remove the mote from thine own eye before seeing to your neighbours:(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Just ISSF???There were quite a few others as well.
    I didn't say otherwise CG - but you did imply that ISSF shooters weren't out there.
    Maybe they have a point about London.Why should a minority elite of backstabbers and appeasers be given extra privilidges just because their olympic minority sport is now being supposedly held in gun free Britan?
    First off, quit it with the name-calling.
    Secondly, it's an ISSF shooter who's done the most for the pistol cause in the UK in the past decade - Mike Gault.
    Thirdly, if you're wondering why they're supporting the London Games, ask yourself whether boycotting the Berlin games in protest would have made as much impact as Jesse Owens running in them.
    Plus Sparks,when I talked to people in the NRA UK,it was oh get a 22 pistol
    The NRA don't shoot with .22 anything.
    And the NSRA just got through a long legal case to get back longarm pistols in the UK.
    At least SRA had the gumption to see the writing on the wall,unlike the rest of the fuddy duddies in the NRA ,etc.
    The SA was good for taking swipes at the others. If they ever did anything, I might have sympathy, but frankly, the NSRA and NRA do more for shooters in the UK than the SA ever did or ever will.
    So lets agree to disagree?
    So long as the name-calling gets dropped, fine by me.

• Advertisement

[
    QUOTE=Sparks]I didn't say otherwise CG - but you did imply that ISSF shooters weren't out there.
    Nope,I was implying that certain people in these groups were trying backroom deals,and scarificing undesireables.
    First off, quit it with the name-calling.

Fine,quit making out that anyone who is not in a precision disipline shooting ,is somhow a undesireable in the shooting community.
    Thirdly, if you're wondering why they're supporting the London Games, ask yourself whether boycotting the Berlin games in protest would have made as much impact as Jesse Owens running in them.
    Well, I dont see the point of yours there.Did it stop the invasion of Poland,because Jesse Ownes beat a bunch of uber menschen.Or did Jack Dempsys win overMax[forgot his second name]stop the US from still wanting to stay out of ww2?? Maybe,just maybe if the US,Uk and the rest of the free world stayed away in protest from Berlin somthing might have changed,and a few million Jews might have still been alive.
    The NRA don't shoot with .22 anything.
    No,but THAT is what I was suggested to me by NRA Bisley in the post Dunblane days,if I wanted to continue pistol shooting in the UK.Or join them and take up antique pistols .
    And the NSRA just got through a long legal case to get back longarm pistols in the UK.
    Dunno why they botherd.A longarm pistol is neither fish or flesh.Too long to be used as a pistol in it's true sense,illegal to put a stock on it to make it a carbine.Would have been better off trying to get
    The SA was good for taking swipes at the others. If they ever did anything, I might have sympathy, but frankly, the NSRA and NRA do more for shooters in the UK than the SA ever did or ever will.

Er it is the shooters rights group I am talking about,run by Richard Law??
    So long as the name-calling gets dropped, fine by me
    .Deal.
    Lets get back to sorting out next years fashion attire line on the firing range.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

I generally wear olive green combats when airpistol shooting, for no better reason than I can fit more stuff into the pockets. I do the same when doing archery.

Advertisement