Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cut off insulation on live wire, fix with insulating tape?

Options
  • 08-01-2007 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I was replacing some old-ish sockets with switched sockets as I reckon they're safer.

While screwing in the new socket, I must have caught the live wire behind the screw, and it tore off the insulation on the wire. Switched back on the ECB and it tripped.

Anyway, since there isn't much cable left from the wall, wrapped the live wire up in insulating tape and finished the job.

Is this a safe, long-term option?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Dec McC

Yep should be fine. no problem in doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Should be fine. But the safest option is to trim it back, but if you've little or no slack then the only other option is to replace the cable :eek:

You can get a shrink wrap insulation which will do a better job than the insulation tape. But personally, if I were in the same situation I'd have used the insulation tape if it was all I had to hand at the time.

Advertisement