Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mavic rims / Road Wheels

Options
  • 08-01-2007 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

......to get a pair made up on good Mavic rims , handbuilt, in town seems to be alot cheaper than factory wheels.
    Was considering buying Fulcrum Racing 3 or Ksyrium Elite or ES but they seem so expensive compared to geting a pair built up, no?
    Then again, I haven't got a quote on handbuilds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

The factory wheels you mention are top of the range so you'd easily find something cheaper. It'll depend on the specific hubs, rims and spokes you choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Tales Of Topogr

Ultegra hubs would be fine I reckon.
    Can you get bladed spokes to build up these rims, eg Open Pro rims or the CP ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Yes you can - there are several brands of aero spokes you could use. It might be a small bit more expensive to build up since care needs to be taken not to twist the spokes. I wouldn't go for them myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭telecaster_dub

what about mavic helium wheels brandnew clinchers , shimano , 9 speed €350

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinarello

Stay away from Helium wheels. We don't have the roads over here for them. There is a guy selling Dura Ace hubs on ebay.com for $59.95+ shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-Dura-Ace-7800-36-Hole-10-Speed-Rear-Hub-NEW_W0QQitemZ200070689328QQihZ010QQcategoryZ36144QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭telecaster_dub

i know i saw them , some bloke selling a Pinarello alluminium frame with carbon fork also

its at €305 euros but its brandnew was never assembled as a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

yes, it is cheaper to get handbuilt wheels. easier to fix if spokes break. can be made as strong and robust as you like or reasonably light and a bit more fragile.

i was about to invest in a set of mavic open pro rims with shimano 105 or ultegra hubs with double butted stainless steel spokes. this seems to be the optimum design for a reasonably light, responsive and robust set of wheels. But got a newish secondhand set off ebay for £80 stg. Normally you would pay upwards of 110-120stg for a set including postage from UK or €160 + for a local shop.

I personally don't like the look of the modern wheels, more of retro guy myself.

Advertisement