Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to speak to a real, live Eircom engineer?

Options
  • 08-01-2007 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Does anyone know a simple way that I can ring a technical / engineering department to know about broadband work being done around Cork. I'm thinking of moving house to an area in Glanmire with no ADSL and no wireless but I've heard they're doing something to the local exchange which may or may not enable it for broadband.

I'm going slightly mad trying to navigate their general customer service numbers, and it seems impossible to get their sales department to acknowledge the work or put me through to someone who could help me.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭com7

chorus have broadband in some areas of glanmire

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The only way you'll find out is to sit in your car outside the exchange, wait for someone to arrive in an Eircom van and ask him/her.:p

There is actually a specific number you can ring and they are supposed to know what exchanges are being done or will be done. I'll have a look and post it if I can find it.

What exchange is it btw? Some one here might have info.

EDIT: Two numbers for you to try (not sure which one it is)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Didn't Eircom publish a list recently of exchanges that they will be enabling this year?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52226517&postcount=8

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055005172

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

The only way you'll get to speak to an eircom engineer on the phone is if they call you. I work in networks for a company who have a 7 figure annual spend with eircom and I still don't have any contact numbers for engineers.

On occasions where an eircom engineer has called me, and I have asked for their number so I can call them back (after they have asked me to test that something is working), they go "oh, I don't have a phone here".

No phones? At eircom? Riiiiiggghhhht....

To be honest, modern service models (i.e. ITIL) dictate that Level 2/3 support should never speak with the customer, all contact should be through the service desk. If the engineers had to field customer queries then it would delay critical technical works.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Cerdito wrote:
    To be honest, modern service models (i.e. ITIL) dictate that Level 2/3 support should never speak with the customer, all contact should be through the service desk. If the engineers had to field customer queries then it would delay critical technical works.

This is pretty standard to be honest, if I was a engineer I wouldn't want joe public bothering me with stuff to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

kaizersoze wrote:
    The only way you'll find out is to sit in your car outside the exchange, wait for someone to arrive in an Eircom van and ask him/her.:p

True... I've done this on several occasions. Worked every time. Most of the engineers I've come in contact with are only too happy to answer questions if they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Have a mate who works in Eircom and he says people will call once every 15 mins for an update when something needs to be repaired. He usually responds with "If I call for an update sir I will be delaying his progress". Pretty much the response is 'I'll know when you know'.

Advertisement