Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Pro

• 08-01-2007 7:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've seen a lot of things about Guitar Pro. Is this the Google of the guitar world, as in, is it renowned to be the best of it's type or are there loads of programs like it?

Also, do you need to be able to read music to use it properly?

Any feedback would be appreciated:)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Guitar Pro is basically used to play midi and show the tab for the songs. Much like Powertabs. Download both (demo of GP, PT is free) and google some songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Alucard II

GP > PT
    much more versatile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the feedback. So how exactly does it work? I know tab-talk isn't allowed here so just say I wrote a song myself and my friend had guitar-pro and wanted the tabs, would I have to create a midi of the song for him to get it, or would it be read from a text file?

See I don't want to bother getting it if I can't make use of songs that wouldn't be popular enough to be in the right format, if there is one:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

how exactly does it work?

well its very straight forward, you should download a copy of the demo and have a look for yourself(hard to explain/easy to use)

you can't access the copyrighted files on the guiitar-pro site(mysongbook.com) but from what i hear ultimate-guitar have an awful lot of tabs there that ARE very accurate

as regards to MAKING your own tabs i haven't a clue, check forums regarding this, google is your friend , hope it helps.....:cool:

i use guitar pro a fair bit for learning solo's 'n' stuff and i find it very useful indeed, you can speed it up and slow it down, turn differant musical channels up/down also.

GET IT!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Guitar pro works by playing whatever tabs are written into it, so you make the tabs in pretty much the exact same way as if you were to write it on paper, except the diagram type thing of the strings is there, so you just have to put the fret numbers and such, and then it plays itself in a midi format.

It also has a diagram of a fretboard, and a keyboard to illustrate the notes. You can add more tracks like bass and drums and more diverse instruments, it's fairly easy once you get the hang of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Had a look anyway, looks pretty complicated alright but hopefully I'll be able to use it properly. Thanks for the help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Its easy enough to get the hang of it and especially useful as the tab you write comes up as notation too so you can get accurate rhythm too. which especially handy for tabbing odd time signatures.
    Its also a good way to finalise a composition so that you know the general structure and it can get printed out nice and neatly! :D

Advertisement