Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC coming to Ireland ??

• 08-01-2007 7:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

The wrestling observer newsletter is reporting that they have plans to run a show in Dublin this year.

I'm surprised but I hope its true.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

That is surprising, but I am so there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Well, Dana has said in interviews about their plans for Britain this year, which are pretty big plans, so I suppose a single Dublin show wouldn't be that far of a stretch. Never even crossed my mind til now though. I think Cage Rage are doin a show here before the summer, I forget the details. But UFC would be brilliant!!

I work in sports and i have heard things i cant say here but it could be true and there is also a possability of seeing UFC on Irish TV . So dont be suprised . Also UFC have set up headquarters in London

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

god i hope they start showing it on tv3 or something,this would be huge its bigger than boxing now in the states

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

before the UFC comes to ireland they will have a show in the uk.However with the way they now have a european headquarter in london, I think its only a matter of time before we start seeing UFC house shows where up and coming talent are given a few fights so that they can be elevated to ppv status

• Advertisement

I dunno about "house shows". I'm not so sure that would work in an mma environment. It's not like wrestling in that the more matches you have, the more experience you'll get. The fighters really have to be in top shape for a fight, and having too many will easily lead to injuries. The top fighters usually only fight around 4 times a year

I listened back to a Wrestling Observer Live show from a while ago where Dana White was a guest on it. He said that the shows they plan to do in Britain this year will all be televised in America

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

[QUOTE=Fozzy. He said that the shows they plan to do in Britain this year will all be televised in America[/QUOTE]

Yep thats exactly it.

I don't think anyone should expect Tito versus Lidell 3 at the Point. I could see it being more of an Ultimate Fight Night card.

I told a few of my friends about it. They wouldn't be really into MMA or wrestling but when I told them all 3 of them said "I'd go to that".

So I think from a selling tickets perspective (once they weren't too high) it could work. The big advantage it would have is that its such a fresh sport. It would be something that very few people have ever gone to and the novelty factor would be high.

Even if it's not the top names fighting the fights can still be very exciting. And hopefully if it does happen then the smaller competitions around the country will get some more support. Might even get me back doin BJJ!

Something to watch out for though is the media coverage of "human cock-fighting", as they seem to love calling mixed martial arts. You can bet that there'll be all sorts of people lobbying against UFC in Britain just because it's something new that they don't know about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

From Sherdog website:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=6501

HBO will televise three Ultimate Fighting Championship cards in 2007 and holds an option for three more broadcasts, respected boxing scribe Thomas Hauser reported Monday. According to the report on SecondsOut.com, HBO's UFC cards will air at midnight on to-be-determined dates.

Hauser's report confirms the long-rumored deal between HBO and UFC, though the agreement did not come without objections from HBO Sports President Ross Greenberg. "He did everything in his power not to televise mixed martial arts," Hauser wrote of Greenberg. "But in the end, he had no choice."

Speaking last week with Hauser, Greenberg said he's not a "big" fan of the UFC — and one would presume MMA — but also conceded he wasn't much of a boxing fan when he joined HBO. "I recognize the fact that UFC appeals to a fan base and demographic that boxing doesn't have right now," Greenberg told Hauser.

So with 3 possibly 6 more shows added to the list in 2007, I guess it does make sense to expand.

Advertisement