Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else ever got a fine for putting out the recycling?

Options
  • 08-01-2007 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

My wife has just got a fine in the mail for putting out the recycling on the wrong day.

The bastards have obviously gone through the bag to find a name and address. Thing is we have always made an effort to recycle properly but we haven't had any info until last week on when the collection dates were, so we've tried to just follow everyone else. We've only moved to Ireland in the last few months so we weren't even sure how often it was supposed to happen.

Never mind that any one of four of us could have put the bag out, they've gone for a name at random.

€125 seems a bit steep for trying to do the right thing.

Sorry for the rant I'm a bit grumpy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

ring them and tell them your story. Also they will send you out a schedule. If they stonewall you you tell them you rang them and the woman said Tuesday was your day. Mind you if you left it out for a week you deserve it tbh. It just annys people and you end up with normal rubbish put in there by passing aholes. Then thye wont collect it. By the way putting stuff into bins with recognisable names and addresses is dumb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mr p

I've never been fussed before about putting my name and address in the bin, if you want to know who lives here you've only got to knock and be friendly. Or look in the phonebook. It's not like we're putting bank details in the bin.

It wasn't left there for a week, we put it out with all the rubbish and we usually check to make sure someone else's was there as well.

I really don't like littering, or rubbish being around, so getting a fine for it is somewhat galling.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

that's a bit of a piss take alright... all they had to do was just leave the recycling there and leave it at that, and when u did ring up to ask why it was not collected then they could explain it was out on the wrong day.... send the bill back to the collection comp and tell em go jump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mr p

The fine isn't issued by the collection company, it's issued by Dublin City Council. If it's not paid within 3 weeks it automatically results in a court appearance. Never mind that the fine is dated the 18th of Dec but it turned up today...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It seems a bit harsh, but in another way, it's good to know that they're out there trying to keep the place clean.

THe muppets in the flat below me keep putting glass bottles and plastic into our recycling bin. I'd love to see them get slapped with a fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Can't believe they actually fined you for that. Seems very harsh. I'm always forgetting the day. So I end up having to compact 2 months of stuff into one bin. Can barely move the bin when I'm finished with it. I'm surprised they haven't complained about the weight. There should be more collections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Unless you are charged by weight, put all your rubbish (recyclable or
    not) into your standard bin.. what's the disincentive for not
    recycling? I'm sure if you like hugging trees you may object on
    moral grounds, personally I couldn't be ar$ed. Seems like the councils
    are looking for excuses to penalise the slightest slip-ups. You're paying
    for your normal bin collection, may as well fill it.

And before I hear replies along the lines of 'but we need to save the planet',
    do you really think that what a small country like Ireland does in recycling
    terms is helping save the planet when you have waste produced in such
    vast quantities by the USA and even from less developed countries
    like China, Mexico, Brazil, and India? Keep filing your green bin if it helps
    you sleep at night otherwise get your moneys worth and fill the regular bin.

The councils are playing silly beggars. Have a look at this recent UK cases
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/6058952.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/5165148.stm
    I know it's the UK but 'tis rather similar here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

what's the disincentive for not
    recycling?
    Because the stuff in the green bill don't take up space in your all garbage bin which is the only bin you pay for (at least we do). Hence anything recycled in the green bin saves you money on top of giving you brownie points with nature. For us it's the difference of putting out the black bin every second week or every third week.

Advertisement