Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live in Galway City (West)

Options
  • 08-01-2007 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm starting a new job in Galway next month and I'm looking for advice on where to live in Galway. I'll be working in the IDA business park on the clifden road so I'm looking at areas to the west of the river.

Ideally I would like somewhere that is walking distance from both work and town or else a short drive to work in the mornings. From looking at a map I'm thinking of looking for somewhere in newcastle, dangan or maybe salthill.

I don't know Galway very well so here are a few questions:

What is traffic like getting from salthill or city center to the clifden road in the morning?

Are there any dodgy areas that I should avoid?

What other areas I should look in?

cheers,

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Galway traffic is a major headache.....best bet is to ring the company and ask someone to recommend someplace....It will be also handy in getting to know some of your new co workers....enjoy galway

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Newcastle would prob be best for you, walking into town about 15-20 mins. Salthill is too far to walk and the traffic is bad in the mornings.

For ads check the classifieds here http://www.galwayadvertiser.ie/content/ or here http://www.daft.ie/ And if you get a so-so place you can always relocate within the city once you're here.

Welcome to Galway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I moved to Galway recently, living in Lower Salthill. Its between Salthill and the city centre. Very nice area, only 5-10 mins walk to town. I drive to work in Spiddal - the traffic is pretty light but then again I don't have to go on the ring road or thru Newcastle. Good luck with the move, was in the same boat as you 3 months ago and I love the place now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Any amount of places to live in Newcastle. Well, maybe not so much now as in the summer as most of the student's will have the places snatched.

Newcastle or Dangan will be a fine place to live, within walking distance, and also nice walking areas (along the Corrib)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Dangan, Fairlands, Greenfields, Hazel Park and the like would be ideal - walking distance to work, and about 20-25 minutes walk into town.

Welcome to the Black Hole of Ireland (as in people never leave!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

moving back down at the end of the month to Newcastle myself! Its a great place to live, really handy to town and far enough away at the same time!! Id def check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

Thanks for the tips guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dv

Well, I just got offered a job so I'll be headin' to Galway soon too. I'll be looking for somewhere at the other side of the city though, working at the Parkmore Industrial Estate.

Beyond Eyre Square and Shop Street I don't really know Galway so any sort of advice at all would be great. At the moment I'd be thinking Ballybrit, Ballybaan or Doughiska Road/Merlin Park for accomodation. Are these places ok?

Also, is it very hard/competitive? The last thing I want is for my search for accomodation to end up like another round of job interviews.

Again, any help at all and I'll be your best friend...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

dv wrote:
    Well, I just got offered a job so I'll be headin' to Galway soon too. I'll be looking for somewhere at the other side of the city though, working at the Parkmore Industrial Estate.

Beyond Eyre Square and Shop Street I don't really know Galway so any sort of advice at all would be great. At the moment I'd be thinking Ballybrit, Ballybaan or Doughiska Road/Merlin Park for accomodation. Are these places ok?

Also, is it very hard/competitive? The last thing I want is for my search for accomodation to end up like another round of job interviews.

Again, any help at all and I'll be your best friend...;)

Ballybrit will be the closest to you. No supermarkets there though, and you'd want to have a car for going into town.

Doughiska is a nice place, but you'll have a mix of nationalities for neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

I looked at 8 places and was offered 4 of them so I wouldn't say its that competitive. Now is probably a good time to be looking as you're not competing with the college students. I would also advise using both daft.ie and the Galway advertiser as I noticed a lot of places were advertised in one but not the other. The advertiser comes out on thursday mornings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Advertiser accommodation section can be picked up at Eyre Sq Wednesdays at 2pm for two euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Remove.

JohnCleary wrote:
    Ballybrit will be the closest to you. No supermarkets there though, and you'd want to have a car for going into town./QUOTE]

Theres Supervalue in Ballybane,a Centra in Doughiska,a Spar in Parkmore and a couple more small shops around that area,i think your well covered.There is also a bus service that covers the area in fact there is a choice of bus routes, no real need for a car unless you like sitting in traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dv

Thanks for the info everyone, feel a bit more confident of getting somewhere nice near work now. I sure hope I don't need a car 'cos I ain't got one.

Anyway, I'm off to spend the rest of the day on daft...

Get a bike , i wouldnt bother with a car,traffic is brutal,theres better places to put your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Like into your local Post Office.

Advertisement