Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Help - 3rd Level Student

Options
  • 08-01-2007 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Searched around, read the charter and so far as I can see, this is the most suitable spot for my post:

A friend of mine has quit college. They completed 1.5 years before they left.
    She is reapplying to the CAO this year and has hit a stumbling block.

When she fills out that she was already in a 3rd year course, the CAO requires proof of attendance. Can anyone confirm what this is? And if so, where to obtain it/what exactly is needed?

She has already called CAO who were no help and the site was equally as bad.

Thanks for reading,

Brian

Edit: Proof of attendance is probably just proof you were at the college, but is a note from college neccessary etc..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

It's usually just a letter from the college stating when you started a course and when you finished.

I hope she knows that she won't qualify for free fees this time around, she will have to pay for the equivalent of the duration of her first course (ie. if she stayed on the first course for a year and a half and the course she wants to do is three years she has to pay for half the course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

Just ask her to get a letter saying what duration she done the course. Her lectuarry will probably do it no bother. or just thinking if she got a grant she could use one of the letters from that? im not entirely sure though, just a thought

Before your friend goes through the CAO, contact the college as mentioned by the other posters but also make sure that she told the college that she was dropping out. If she just left and didn't tell anyone, she may have to pay two full years of feels instead of a year and a half.

There should be a student records/admissions/admin area wherever she was, so just ring 'em up and party on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

I have had to do this also I droped out of my first year in march but I never properley withdrew the college are sending me a withdrawal form to fill out where I state the date which I started and left so that they can give me a cert of attendence. Hopefully ill only have to pay first year fees

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

You should enqire of the college you are going to. You may not have to pay the full 18 month fees if the course is in a different area. You might be able to get an academic year waived.

Probably talking 1,300 + 800 approx per year Tuition + capitation fee.

You may be able to go onto the second year of a course, no need for CAO, apply directly to the college, if it is in a cognate area. Also when you get to college look at getting exemptions forr modules already passed. i.e. Maths and communications may be on both courses.

Best of luck this time around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement