Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

was I wrong or right

Options
  • 08-01-2007 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

ok i work as a supervisor. i have worked in duty managment positions for small companies but this job contains a lot more work than I have done in the other position.This was recognised by my previous employers and they said they felt they saw potential in me to live up to the job decriptions... I also saw this as a learning curve for me. Something to challange me. To date I have been succussfull in managing a happy team bar one who is not up to scratch. So i held a disciplinary meeting with her(within her probationary period) by rights I could have let her go because of the severity but as at the time she was going through a lot of personal problems I held it on file for 6 months and was to review. This was after consulting with the union and my GManager. So things didnt get better and a further 2 months down the line her probationary period is over and managment had changed. Two members of staff have logged greviances of which i must follow up. So i did and my new manager and his consultant basicly told me I was not doing my job and that I was wrong to not sack her. is that correct???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

It sounds like you gave her the benefit of the doubt, which would show the people working under you that you're a fair boss.

However, if she was still causing a problem, why wasn't it dealt with fully before the end of the probation?

More information is needed here, such as what she did to have you give her a talking to, and what were the grievances that were filed/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

So i held a disciplinary meeting with her(within her probationary period) by rights I could have let her go because of the severity but as at the time she was going through a lot of personal problems

By your own words you say you could have fired her because of what she had done. After another two months things were still bad and you did nothing.
    Exactly how long were you going to ignore her behavior, if the two members of staff had not logged their grievances.
    They obviously got fed up of waiting for you to do something.Things must have been bad.
    You should not have allowed her personal problems to get in the way of her work. At least not as long as you did.
    Your new manager may now see you as being to soft when it comes to making hard decisions.
    You gave her every chance to keep her job, and she refused to take it. Instead she repaid you by continuing to do whatever she was doing and has now gotten you into a spot of bother.
    If you fire her then she only has herself to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,433 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well if you have enough reason to fire her, then you have to do it, don't you? It sounds like your new Overlord doesn't think too much of the way you handled the situation thus far, and that may mean replacement for you. She's not in her probabtional period, no, but if she's not fit for the job she's not fit for the job.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

This isn't really a legal issue, so I'm moving it to business management.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Sounds like you need to start disciplinary procedures now, really.

If you gave the benefit of the doubt before your new boss started, they're unlikely to have the precise details of what went on before, or at the very least they're not going to have had the experience of the mood in the camp at the time. If they are seeing an employee who's being effectively a waste of space now they're probably wondering why she's still there, and why she was allowed past the probationary period. AFAIR it's not easy to get rid of someone past the probationary period, so now you have to go through the full disciplinary process of the relevant number of verbal and written warnings.

I'm open to correction on the above - it's been a number of years since I had to put anyone through this process.

• Advertisement
Advertisement