Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Password protecting a USB flash drive

• 08-01-2007 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I'd like to be able to password protect files/folders on a usb flash drive. I've had a quick look online and plenty of apps to choose from.
    Qustions is which one do i choose? Free aps are best offcourse and something not to bloated.

It really to prevent anyone taking/borrowing my pen drive copying my data to a pc for use in their projects, it has happened in my class :confused:
    (i use my flash drive a backup medium for my docs)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

If you use a U3 enabled drive it has good security built in.

Cal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

what i used to do was password the folder with my actual documents in it and name it something like "holiday photos" (oh I used some software that came bundled with my USB stick) then I'd have false copies of my reports and handups with various lines replaced with "whoever handed this up to you thinks you're a bellend" on the USB for any wouldbe plaigeriser to copy to their hearts content :D I could always tell who it was bu whoever got called up to the front about their report at the end of class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

No U3 software im affraid, ive got a sandisk cruzer drive.

Lol at the changing lines in docs. Nearly all out projects are cad which makes it even easier to copy without being able to trace.

The was some encryption software that came with the drive but its very slow and i can actually see/edit the files unless i decrypt them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 maplanois

I use Truecrypt on my USB flash drive, not sure if you've heard about it before. its free open-source disk encryption software for Windows and Linux If you've any questions about this just ask.

http://www.truecrypt.org/

http://www.truecrypt.org/faq.php

Q: How can I use TrueCrypt on a USB flash drive?

A: You have two options:

Encrypt the entire USB flash drive. However, you will not be able run TrueCrypt from the USB flash drive.

Create a TrueCrypt file container on the USB flash drive (for information on how to do so, see the chapter Beginner's Tutorial, in the TrueCrypt User Guide). If you leave enough space on the USB flash drive (choose an appropriate size for the TrueCrypt container), you will also be able to store TrueCrypt on the USB flash drive (along with the container – not in the container) and you will be able to run TrueCrypt from the USB flash drive (see also the chapter Traveller Mode in the TrueCrypt User Guide).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Got truecrypt the other day, involved some messing and readign but i got a container setup on my flash drive for some important college stuff. Only down fall is i cant use it on the college pc's because i dont have admin rights to install the software other than that it works fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

I've used this in the past, LocknGo...its not free....$19 for one copy, but i found it fast and simple, and its a single file thats run from the memory stick

http://www.keynesis.com/products/lockngo/

Advertisement