Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interested in the Army

• 08-01-2007 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭

I just have a few questions that I'd like to ask about the Army - sorry if they're stupid but I've only just got interested in this.

1)I'm a girl. Whats the general status of women's role in the army? Do we get the same courses, same treatment, or is there a different department?

2) Is there basically two forces, the RDF and the PDF or is there still the FCA/Volunteers...whats the difference between the FCA and the RDF?

3) I am in no ways obese or unhealthy - I'm just quite unfit. If I were to sign up would I need to get reasonably fit BEFORE doing the training? Otherwise I am healthy and have no medical problems apart from asthma - would this be a big deal?

Thanks in advance for anyone who replies to this!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 BlinkyJJJ

1. Yes ye get the same treatment only thing is if your going for PDF you may be better off going into the caddettes pays better and they still need more women officers to show that they are not bias.

2. FCA/RDF are the same just units have been merged and new units formed there is new integration coming in this month where a section from each RDF unit will work with the PDF for a while as to better understand the role they play. (I'm in the RDF 3* 5th Field Engineering comp. best unit I must say :P)

3 Asthma as long as you have your medication and can complete the course your fine but this is only for PDF as the RDF have yet to implement it. The fitness test itself isn't too strenuous, but you should check it out before going near any of the PDF stuff first easily found if you google it.

Hope I answered your q's and whatever you choose it really is a life less ordinary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

2) Is there basically two forces, the RDF and the PDF or is there still the FCA/Volunteers...whats the difference between the FCA and the RDF?

Volunteers were around the time of Collins as far as im aware.

FCA got the name changed to RDF, and Units De-Mobilised and New ones created.

PDF is the full time Army/Navy/Air Corps, they wear the Black Berets and the RDF are Part time Soldiers/Naval Service Personnel who give up their free time to serve the Country, they wear the Olive Green Berets.

visit www.military.ie for EVERYTHING you want to know/find out about the Irish Defence Forces such as the Army,Navy,Air Corps and all their roles and equipment.

FYI log onto www.irishmilitaryonline.com and join as a Member ( FREE ) and go to the discussion Boards located on the top of the screen and post your questions as that website is made up of people Serving in the Army/Navy/Air Corps/Army Reserve/Navy Reserve so if you want more intimate questions about what its really like they will answer as they are wearing the shoes so to speak, hope this helps and if you get in then fair play as it is a rewarding and honourable career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Thanks for the quick replies! Will check out those websites too.

Do you get paid for joining the RDF?! :eek:

I'm really considering it cos I think it's cool to be in a reserve force. I doubt I would ever be needed for anything but would gladly serve my country if I were called up and the military training would be cool. I think it'd be a great experience and I'd absolutely love to go overseas and serve in a defence force for wherever is needed (thats PDF right?).

Don't mean to be real corny about it btw!

The only problem is I'm very unfit. It's not a health thing (apart from asthma) - I get excercise in school with double sports class once a week and PE twice a week. I play soccer and tennis - I like excercise, I'm just terrible at it and I feel like crap cos I'm really bad at running (I get out of breath quite easily).

Do you get paid for joining the RDF?

Only for Annual Camps and Training ones every so often.
    I doubt I would ever be needed for anything but would gladly serve my country if I were called up and the military training would be cool. I think it'd be a great experience and I'd absolutely love to go overseas and serve in a defence force for wherever is needed (thats PDF right?).

PDF for the moment anyhow, there is a new RDF Integrated Reserve coming up soon this year where you will have to pass a fitness test,interview etc and if successful you will get to train for some of the year with the PDF and do all that they do as the Integrated Reserve is all about training RDF Soldiers to the same level as their PDF Counterparts so that the Integrated Reserve Units will be able to go Overseas, but Legislation regarding your job has to be sorted yet but its a step in the right direction as everybody else is doing it so why not us.

BUT for now if you want to join the RDF there is no fitness test to take just a hearing test, basic medical and drug test. Just start to improve your lung capacity with exercises like swimming and you will be happy out in no time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Alkers

Steyr wrote:
    RDF are Part time Soldiers/Naval Service Personnel who give up their free time to serve the Country, they wear the Olive Green Berets.
    NSR wear black Berets also.

• Advertisement

Oh ya forgot that!:D Pity it has not started in Galway as id would drop the Inf for the Sea anyday and come on L.E. Aisling is the ship of Galway.

Cool...

As soon as I'm 17 I will probably apply (I will be 16 this September so a little while to wait!). My mate also wants to join but I'm not sure if she's 5"4 which might be a problem as that is a requirement.

Why are they strict on height? Surely smaller people would be, at times, more useful to the army...under battle conditions anyway...

Height is not an issue, i feel like im repeating myself,

check out

www.irishmilitaryonline.com

www.military.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 BlinkyJJJ

lol the height restriction is a good'un lol I'v seen some funny things myself where ppl r just about the right height to join lol.

One time while out on tactics we came to an "obstacle" (a small wall) and when we were going over it didn't the small one slip and landed on their back lol now with a full kit on your back properly tightened (well maybe too tight) etc lol nd ur on ur bac it's dificult enough to get up but this person did not want to save face and didn't tell the NCO that was in charge that it was too heavy in the first place, so they ended up looking like turtles flipped on their bac lol twas fair funny. Now if this person was taller this may not have happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No fitness test in the RDF at all? What sort of requirements are there? Could you be fat, unhealthy and still be in the RDF then? I thought there would have been something similar to the army test, 20 push/sit ups and 1.5miles in ten minutes or whatever, maybe not as strenuous but i definately thought there'd be something...

• Advertisement

I think as far as the new Re Org is going etc there will be tests, there are definately tests for the IR

Steyr wrote:
    Height is not an issue, i feel like im repeating myself,

check out

www.irishmilitaryonline.com

www.military.ie

Hey I'm sorry I'm p1ssing you off but I created this thread to enquire and ask questions..

And I checked out www.military.ie (there's a lot of content there so I mightn't have read everything..) and www.irishmilitaryonline.com and it never said that height was not an issue. In fact, from http://www.military.ie/reserves/fca_recruiting.htm ;

"To be eligible for enlistment, an applicant must be not less than 17 years and not more than 35 years of age. Male and Female applicants must be not less than 5' 4" (162.5cm) in height"

I know alot who got in at 16, and i know alot of "shortarses" in the RDF just go for it!

ok :)

Has anyone joined the army before doing their Leaving Cert? Probably not a good idea for me as I'm a sh1t studier anyway so the army would be another distraction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I think it'd be a great experience and I'd absolutely love to go overseas and serve in a defence force for wherever is needed (thats PDF right?).

if you were called for UN duty in Lebanon would you think the same thing?
    (assuming the PDF do serve under the UN banner... if not what is their purpose)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Kilaqueen for some reason nobody here either knows or wants to tell you but the height restriction was lowered a couple of months ago to 5 foot 2 check it here

foinse wrote:
    Kilaqueen for some reason nobody here either knows or wants to tell you but the height restriction was lowered a couple of months ago to 5 foot 2 check it here

Thanks I saw that but then on another page from that website it said 5"4 so I was wondering if it just wasn't updated or if there were different height restrictions for the RDF and the PDF.
    Jakkass wrote:
    if you were called for UN duty in Lebanon would you think the same thing?
    (assuming the PDF do serve under the UN banner... if not what is their purpose)

To be honest, I don't know. I say that I'm very interested in joining the army but who knows I might actually hate it. That's why I will join the RDF maybe after my Leaving Cert. So I'll do the trainging and hopefully have the possibility to go overseas. If I enjoy it, and most importantly, if I'm a capable 'soldier' than yes, I would consider getting a permanent job in the army and I would go to Lebanon if needed.

But then again I could hate the RDF...and be sh1te at being in the amry. Ya never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Stay in school and study hard.

When you finish school get a summer job.

save your money for a year away in Australia or the US.

If you still want to join the Army after that then go for it.

But if you dont see the world with your mates first you'll regret it.

The army facilitate a year leave of absence but its pot-luck if you get it

hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭aido_2006

im in the pdf... theres plenty of females in the army now, all treated the same! dont pay to much attention to height restrictions... for fitness test u need to be able to do 20 press ups (not the normal press up for females as a normal press up can damage a females ovaries or something, most people think its coz its bias but thats the reason) in a minute and then 20 sit ups in a minute and also be able to run a mile and a half... think the time limit is 13 and a half mins for females... so a bit of training before u go for that and ur laughing... recruit training aint easy, ur away for 6 months and its tough mentally and physically but is a great laugh and is well worth it even at the hardest of times coz the army is a great job!! anymore u wanna know jus pm us

aido_2006 wrote:
    im in the pdf... theres plenty of females in the army now, all treated the same! dont pay to much attention to height restrictions... for fitness test u need to be able to do 20 press ups (not the normal press up for females as a normal press up can damage a females ovaries or something, most people think its coz its bias but thats the reason) in a minute and then 20 sit ups in a minute and also be able to run a mile and a half... think the time limit is 13 and a half mins for females... so a bit of training before u go for that and ur laughing... recruit training aint easy, ur away for 6 months and its tough mentally and physically but is a great laugh and is well worth it even at the hardest of times coz the army is a great job!! anymore u wanna know jus pm us

Wow that sounds tough. I'll be dying. We sometimes do a 1mile (or 2mile) run in school but I just walk it because I get out of breath very quickly!
    Hard Larry wrote:
    Stay in school and study hard.

When you finish school get a summer job.

save your money for a year away in Australia or the US.

If you still want to join the Army after that then go for it.

But if you dont see the world with your mates first you'll regret it.

The army facilitate a year leave of absence but its pot-luck if you get it

hope this helps.

That's good advice but is this all just for the RDF? Sure don't you only serve a couple of years anyway and then you have the chance to renew?

I've done nothing with my life so far and I can't see my life getting any more interesting when I'm older so i might as well do something worthwhile.

• Advertisement

Yeah the RDF is a great start if you want to sample what the basics of the Army is about. I joined when I was still in school and I was a year underage....and I saw plenty of borderline Dwarves in the ranks!

With the RDF you talking about maybe turning up one night a week and a few weekends away a year and an annual camp in the summer.

With the PDF/Army as soon as you pass the fitness tests and interview and recieve notice that you've been accepted you hit the ground running.

Depending from where you're from is where you'll train. According to your info you're from Dublin so you'll more than likely do recruit training in Gormonston Camp in Meath or in Cathal Brugha Barracks, Rathmines.

You'll do a 2 week induction period where you'll be brought for lectures and brought to Museums and told the background of what you're getting into. You'll also be told your rights within the DF and what to expect in the future.

Recruit training is intensive so keeping up your fitness prior to joining will pay off from the start. Recruit training is 3 months long and your advanced 3 star training will take another 3 months. Monday to Friday you will be confined to barracks but you should recieve Local Leave most weekends, but do expect to be confined to barracks some weekends.

Your tactical training phase will be spent in the general Wicklow Mountains area, and is great fun if you are the kind of person who likes being wet,cold,dirty,hungry,tired, bit by insects, in the dark and shouted at.

When you sign up you sign for a 5 year contract and then are given the option of re-engaging your service after this period. IMO anyone looking to join the Army should be doing so with a career in mind and not just pack it all in after 5 years.
    That first 5 years will be over before you know and some people when they reach there realise 'Damn if I'd have gone to college I'd be finished by now' so it is a major decision to make.

Although you can buy yourself out at any stage you want during your contract just make sure you have a job to go into.

The Army is a life changing event. It will give you an entirely different outlook on life.

But even if you do decide to join up and not go to college, my original advice stands. Have a blast the first year after you leave school (and yes you could be in the RDF during this time)

Serving your country is the ultimate sacrifice you can make and the Army will teach you to become a highly disciplined member of society...

...but apart from all that tripe they pay you to play with guns and blow **** up! it roxx man!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Bam Bam

Army Reserve contract is 3 years long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

i signed one when i joined yet to see a second and i'm in 7 years :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

someone forged your signature so... twice....

i still get paid and feed so i dont care :D

Hard Larry wrote:
    Yeah the RDF is a great start if you want to sample what the basics of the Army is about. I joined when I was still in school and I was a year underage....and I saw plenty of borderline Dwarves in the ranks!

With the RDF you talking about maybe turning up one night a week and a few weekends away a year and an annual camp in the summer.

With the PDF/Army as soon as you pass the fitness tests and interview and recieve notice that you've been accepted you hit the ground running.

Depending from where you're from is where you'll train. According to your info you're from Dublin so you'll more than likely do recruit training in Gormonston Camp in Meath or in Cathal Brugha Barracks, Rathmines.

You'll do a 2 week induction period where you'll be brought for lectures and brought to Museums and told the background of what you're getting into. You'll also be told your rights within the DF and what to expect in the future.

Recruit training is intensive so keeping up your fitness prior to joining will pay off from the start. Recruit training is 3 months long and your advanced 3 star training will take another 3 months. Monday to Friday you will be confined to barracks but you should recieve Local Leave most weekends, but do expect to be confined to barracks some weekends.

Your tactical training phase will be spent in the general Wicklow Mountains area, and is great fun if you are the kind of person who likes being wet,cold,dirty,hungry,tired, bit by insects, in the dark and shouted at.

When you sign up you sign for a 5 year contract and then are given the option of re-engaging your service after this period. IMO anyone looking to join the Army should be doing so with a career in mind and not just pack it all in after 5 years.
    That first 5 years will be over before you know and some people when they reach there realise 'Damn if I'd have gone to college I'd be finished by now' so it is a major decision to make.

Although you can buy yourself out at any stage you want during your contract just make sure you have a job to go into.

The Army is a life changing event. It will give you an entirely different outlook on life.

But even if you do decide to join up and not go to college, my original advice stands. Have a blast the first year after you leave school (and yes you could be in the RDF during this time)

Serving your country is the ultimate sacrifice you can make and the Army will teach you to become a highly disciplined member of society...

...but apart from all that tripe they pay you to play with guns and blow **** up! it roxx man!! :D

Thanks, the army sounds great! I know it'll be tough but to be honest, I need to toughen up. I'll probably cry as soon as anyone looks at me let alone shouts at me but I'd say I'd be suited to it (I've been told I would).

As for careers, I'm in 4th year at the moment and seeing as nothing else is going on, the only thing I hear from teachers is about career choices. I'm definitely going to college whether I like it or not (I would like to go to college if I could take a year out or do some travelling or do an interesting work experience etc. but no...) but I haven't a clue what course I would like to do. What sort of careers are there in the army that I would need a college course in? I'm not the physics type, so Engineering is a no-no although I think I'd be interested in it. I know there's the Medical side to it...emmm....Medicine and Engineering seems to be it!

I still can't believe you get paid for serving your country! I suppose you have to be supported financially if your in the army long term. But for the PDF you basically live in the barracks - only getting home for some weekends. Still...getting paid would be nice! Does that go for the RDF as well?

I take it there's a seperate camp for women and men? (Unfortunately...hee hee). I know this is a huge sweeping generalization but what are the women like in the army? I don't want to be stuck bunking with a big beast of a man who only joins the army to be a big tough guy. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the girliest of girls but I'm not a big man either!

Anyway, I think joining even just the reserves would give me a good chance to get fit and disciplined while having fun as well (and getting paid?!!) and hopefully it'd be a chance to get gto know some new people - women and men (hopefully ;) ) so it seems to be win-win!
    babybundy wrote:
    i still get paid and feed so i dont care :D

What's the food like? hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Bam Bam

According to your profile you're 15, so it'll be a few more years til you can join

What's the food like? hehe
    its not bad most of the time now

What I described to you was recruit and 3 Star training for the PDF....If you are going to college than you should set your sights on Cadet Training and become an Officer. Better Pay. But less freedom.

There is a shortage of Doctors, Dentists and Engineer Officers in the DF
    But plenty of Jockeys for some reason.

Women in the Army are just like women outside the Army. No different...although most are generally smaller tee hee hee.

There is seperate Male and Female Accommodation but Males and Females undergo the same Training. (Except for slight differences in the Physical Fitness test)

Trust me the males will be more scared of you than you will be of them. Sexual Harrassment Laws and Bullying are not tolerated whatsoever in th DF.

All that stuff about staying in during weekends and at night is only for Recruit Training as soon as you get posted to your Unit depending on how close you live to your barracks means you will be in your own bed most evenings
    ( barring Duties, Going Drinking, Tactical Exercises and ((God helps us all)) a War.)

If your in 4th Year and havent done your work experience yet then you should look into visiting one of the barracks near you. Ask your year head or Careers Guidance Teacher to look into it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Larry, when you say Officers have less freedom, what do you mean by that? I'm a student and was considering the DF after I graduate, for the 5 years anyway.

Advertisement