Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreaming about people I know.....

Options
  • 08-01-2007 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Strange I know, but until I met my current girlfriend I never, ever had dreams about people I know. They were always about people I had never met or were really abstract and "out there" dreams. These days I tend to dream about situations involving my circle of friends (which hasn't really changed since I met my girlfriend) and my family. I'm with my girlfriend two years in June and it's only really something that dawned on me last month. Has anyone any thoughts on this? I'm baffled.

Thanks,

D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

Sounds like your ready to settle down or just thinking a lot about something that is currently based in your life and placing it among your everyday life. Sounds abstract I know, but all your dreams been abstract before your girlfriend could mean you were trying to find direction in your life and all dreams after your girlfriend are based around your current life, so maybe your just happy and are only making the connection (of course this depends on what the dreams are about etc etc) which means this is just a guess in the dark.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Dibs,

I'd agree with KShiel about current events and their impact on your dreams. She's made a quite good stab in the dark [no apologies for the pun :D ].

But IMHO dreams are one way of subconscious processing what's going on in your life or things that you are thinking about on a subconscious level. You could read any number of dream dictionaries telling you what symbols are supposed to mean; look at them from a Freudian, or more likely Jungian viewpoint, but it won't make any difference. You'll have to make up your own mind what your dreams mean. But in saying that a dream dictionary might be a good place to start, and if the description of whatever is happening in your dream makes sense to you, then that could be it. This is why I think K Shiel says she is guessing.

But it might be a good idea to think back to when these dreams started, or when you noticed them and try to remember what (if anything) was going on in your life at the time. There could be a link.

Anyway good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Aisling&M

From what I've read, people in dreams more often than not represent different aspects of the dreamer. So perhaps you dreamt of yourself as an abstract/unfocussed individual in the world and now the world of your dreams embodies the more focussed and family/friend orientated parts of yourself.
    It would be interesting to know, if you remember if your dreams had different themes to what they have now.

The most important thing is to be aware of how you feel after waking from a dream, do you have a smile on your face or a tear in your eye?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

OP - I subscribe to the theory that dreams are subconscious representations of what you are supressing in your conscious mind.

Because the subconscious deals primarily with symbolism and not language, you really have to strip back the crazy layers of imagery to understand what your repressed anxiety is all about.

I would guesstimate that there may be a little friction happening between your gf and your close friends that you may be choosing to ignore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭ladybirdirl

Hey Dib,

I think I would go along with a lot of what the other guys say. Just thinking about it though, I remember one time a psychic telling me that say if I dream about you(which you know I do all the time:p :p ,all my paranormal boys) well apparently I'm actually thinking about myself reflected in you.So if I dream of you going up a big hill and getting to the top triumphantly, I'm actually subcouncoiusly processing that I'm going up a big hill but I will get to the top.

I hope that makes sense

Also I've heard(not sure about this) that when guys find their first major partner in life(whether they marry her or not) that it changes them quite substantially on an emotional level -probably true if you subscribe to the men are from mars,women from venus stuff. But anyway my point is that maybe you're just 'bedding in' to being in a relationship(don't want to say settling down) and so obviously you're processing that on lots of levels

I would say enjoy those dreams,every last one.

Ladybird

• Advertisement
Advertisement