Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opty 170

Options
  • 08-01-2007 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

Just recieved my opty today.

Checked the stepping, And apparently i can hit >3.0ghz On air.

05a170daa6cd
    ccbbe 0615dpmw
    1455511d60318

Meant to be the best stepping out there. And i got it for 100£.

Fx-62 killer :eek:

Only problem is im having problems activating windows. The cd-key isnt generating a new auth. So i have to ring microsoft teeh support. But their only open from 9-5 monday to friday. But i work them hours myself. Dunno how im gonna do this tbh :/

Might just install windows again i suppose. but that would mean spending hours and hours installing drivers. and setting it up how i want. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

wow... I thought everyone who builds and upgrades computers regularly would already know how to turn off that XP hardware change limit. Guess not?

Either way, kudos on the good stepping, you lucked out, there are quiet a few nasty 170 steppings out there that you could of gotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I do, but i went away for xmas. with 4 days left to activate. And i said ill do it when i came back, but ofcourse i fecking forgot :/

Its also a authentic copy of windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

You got a bargain mine cost €300.00 last year.

What would you reccomend good timings for the 170? Internets people vary hugely in their oppinions.

All opterons will run rock solid at 2.70ghz on air and up to 2.90ghz if you are
    lucky.The trade off is a 5 degree rise in temperature for every .10ghz gain.

2.70 ghz -28c
    2.80 ghz- 33c
    2.90 ghz -38c

add 10c under load.

using Arctic cooler pro.

• Advertisement

Under 50c at full load. not to bad at all. I should be grand considering i have the tuniq. But liked i asked before, what memory timings are you using ? And also what cpu voltage? I heard they dont need over 1.5v, where as my 3500+ needed 1.86v to go over 2.8ghz. But it stayed at below 55c under orthos.

Right now the v core is 1.45v
    Bus speed 300.00mhz
    Multiplier 9x
    Core speed 2.700.mhz
    Memory 246.5 mhz 3-4-4-8
    temp cpu 32c

I usually leave it at these timings when i am not gaming ect. hoping not to stress things too much.

btw I am using q-fan at these timings the cpu fan is running at under 1000 rpm and the computer is almost silent
    i can overclock up to 3.000 mhz with all fans running at max but it sounds like a wind tunnell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Where'd you get it? I'm getting bored of my 3000+

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Anti wrote:

Its also a authentic copy of windows.

dont lie :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Oh, so XP didn't deactivate itself because you changed too many pieces of hardware, it deactivated because you couldn't be bothered registering it or "turning off" the activation notice. Have you rang MS yet? Do they need you to be infront of your computer to give you the activation number or can you ring them from work.

Oh and the timings depend on what kind of RAM you have. Your best bet would be to read up about what other people have been getting with your RAM then underclock your CPU and test you RAMs limits.

• Advertisement

correct l31mr0d. I was extreemly lazy over the xmas and new years peroid :(

And unfourtanatly i need to be infront of the pc for this. I can't do it from work.

And thats for the advice. I will certainly try that.

And andy, it really is a genuine copy of windows.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Where did you get it?

I want / need a s939 Dual core!!!

conzymaher wrote:
    Where did you get it?

I want / need a s939 Dual core!!!

I will have one for sale when i finish my new build.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Would be interested also.

I got mine from http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Products.ASP?CatID=11&FilterCategories=252&Thumbnails=yes

There are other s939's here http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Products.ASP?CatID=11&FilterCategories=408&Thumbnails=yes

But they are only the 1mb cache manchester cores. So not really worth it.

They have a huge range of cpu's atm. Although some are not in stock ( like mine ) I had it delivered within 2 weeks. And got 20% off as the site said 10+ stocked, but the automated email said it was out of stock. So i rang up and complained about them taking money from me when the product was infact not there. Cant complain really. And it seems if you get a 170, hopefully it will be the same steping as mine. which seems to be the best one available.

Advertisement