Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

first car

Options
  • 08-01-2007 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

I know this has been done allot, so if you are sick of this kind of post just ignore it.
    I'm 24 and have a provisional licence and have finally saved up enough to buy a car + pay insurance. I have 4k to spend on the car maybe 5k if I see something I really like. I’m open to any suggestions really because I’m not sure what I want.
    So please help me find something I like :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

carzone.ie or cbg.ie type in max value 4000 happy surfing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Ya but I'm clueless on cars, so i need advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 BackwardRussia

I'd go with a vauxhall astra, 2000 or so model. Good reliable car.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭slick

You can't go wrong with a micra,they're not babe magnets but are very reliable.VW polo is good and sturdy.Seat Ibiza is a nice stylish car spanish but made more or less by VW.The most reliable is the toyota corolla.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Lexus LS400? No but seriously...its not an easy question to answer. My stock answer is a Yaris. You'll get a 99 or 00 on your budget.

• Advertisement

I'd go with a vauxhall astra, 2000 or so model. Good reliable car.

We call em opels over here im afraid.Yes go for an astra or a Corolla 1.3 engines im sure you would get insured wouldnt go with the micra.Id consider a 1.4 polo Ibiza not bad either but get the 1.2 version not the 1litre

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'll get flamed for this but.... Rover 214

Reasons I bought this as my first car:
    Cheap to buy
    Cheap insurance
    Affordable Tax
    I was told it'd blow up - but just taking the usual care of it, I still have it and it's on 110,000 miles and still going strong! (Getting TB done next week)

I've had it for 3 years and i'm very happy with it as a first car. Never gave me grief and didn't cost a fortune to get on the road. Compare insurance with a Rover 214 to a 1.4 Civic and you'll see what i'm talking about

Having said that, i'm buying a new car in the next 4 weeks, fingers crossed ill be able to afford a jeep :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Ok thanks for the suggestions so far. For a hatch back I quite like the corolla or ibilza. Any recomendations for a saloon?
    I have been checking quotes online with quinn direct and one thing I don't understand is, I'm given the same quote(€1,500) for a 1.3 corolla as a 1.8 avensis. Doesn't seem to make any sense :confused:

its quinn its not supposed to make sense ;) em saloon Cordoba,Lancer and the likes only your going to know what you like its up to you.

A guy in college with me (Don't know him well but will ask) is thinking of selling an 02 1.1 Ibiza, 3 door, silver. Think he said if he got 1900 he'd sell it as he wants to sell quick (Was rambling on about buying a Corolla)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

whatever it is for God sakes don't make the same mistake as me and figure out a few weeks/months down the line that you're actually too big for the car. I can't recommend the Corsa enough...It's been great to drive and I'll be sad to see it go but I need something with more roofspace

I liked the drive of the Ibiza though and the 206 is great fun in 1.4

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I just got myself a Mitsubishi Mirage Asti 1.3l as my first car. Insurance with Quinn is €1500 and I'm 23 on a provisional with no ncb. Might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Im in the same boat at the moment, looking at a 99/00 corsa as my first car. was looking at a Polo but lack of power steering put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Avoid Astras like the plague - the engines are terrible and prone to blowing head gaskets some have blown so hard they caught fire

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JohnCleary wrote:
    A guy in college with me (Don't know him well but will ask) is thinking of selling an 02 1.1 Ibiza, 3 door, silver. Think he said if he got 1900 he'd sell it as he wants to sell quick (Was rambling on about buying a Corolla)

That's a good deal provided the car is ok. Will be easy to sell on in a year or two with only very little depreciation, if any

unkel wrote:
    That's a good deal provided the car is ok. Will be easy to sell on in a year or two with only very little depreciation, if any

Car is sound from what I can see, he drives from Mayo => Sligo (College) everyday so doubt he'd be driving it if it was about to blow up. Tis totally standard, doesn't even have alloys

Advertisement