Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My Car Nightmare

Options
  • 08-01-2007 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

So the storey goes, about a month ago I got my 01 Mondeo TDDI serviced, and after a few days i heard a rattle when i turned on or off the engine. I checked under the bonnet and the Diesel Filter (i think) was off its bracket. I checked the fittings and the clips for the bracket had broke off the filter.

I rung the mechanic who was a mate(ish) and he said to tie it with a plastic cable tie as tight as i could, and he would look at it and fix it in january. He said there would be no probs.

Last wednesday, driving home from work, the car started like it was running out of fuel, but i had half a tank, and the engine died. When i got it to a mechanic near when i lived, he said the the filter was shaking to much, it loosened the joints on the filter where it connects to the pipes, and it was leaking diesel and suckin air into the engine, and put too much pressure on the electric fuel pump which is under the car beside the tank, and it cut out.

So had to get filter, pipes replaced, and the mechanic said that engine was runnin ok and pump seemed fine but to keep eye on it. I drove about 50miles in the car when it happened again. Rang the mechanic beside me and legend that he is, towed the car back to his garage late sat eve for no charge and worked on it sunday.

Now my prob is that is that i have to replace this pump, and ford are charging 580 for a new one, but the mechanic said that he can get it from the makers bosch (i think) a bit cheaper but wed was soonest he can get it.

So now i got no car, im already out of pocket and really pi$$ed off.

So mondeos are great, but if someone scr€ws about and breaks somethin, its gonna cost ya.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

3 years ago I bought my first car, I knew nothing about engines.

I read a lot of stuff online, I bought a Haynes manual, I studied it, and then studied it some more until I had all the pages learned off by heart.

110,000 miles, driving a Rover, not too many bills and still running fine :D

Conclusion: Learn to DIY, not as hard as you'd think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

JohnCleary wrote:
    3 years ago I bought my first car, I knew nothing about engines.

I read a lot of stuff online, I bought a Haynes manual, I studied it, and then studied it some more until I had all the pages learned off by heart.

110,000 miles, driving a Rover, not too many bills and still running fine :D

Conclusion: Learn to DIY, not as hard as you'd think

Ive been trying to pick up some bit and pieces, but when it comes to parts, i either need alot of cash, or macgyver with a coke can, a pen, a straw, an elastic band and a paper clip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

So the storey goes, about a month ago I got my 01 Mondeo TDDI serviced,
    yup theres your problem there you gots a mondeo :D Seriously though with these kind of things it comes down to luck you could have a car like that land rover 110kmiles never any bother and then you could get a new land rover and have 2 clutches gone in the space of a year.As they say Sh1t happens hope it works out ok for you and there wont be any more problems.

Car Mad wrote:
    yup theres your problem there you gots a mondeo :D Seriously though with these kind of things it comes down to luck you could have a car like that land rover 110kmiles never any bother and then you could get a new land rover and have 2 clutches gone in the space of a year.As they say Sh1t happens hope it works out ok for you and there wont be any more problems.

Until this, Ive loved the mondeo, plenty of power when i need it, loads of room cos im 6ft 1 and i can get my mates in including sitting behind me without bein kneecapped, and its confortable. So im gonna upgrade to a mondeo ST 2.2 TDCI in about 6mths i hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

I was messing you know what ever car you get you can have problems with as I said it comes down to luck.Mondeos are a good car I love the 2litre.Was the bracket broken in the garage?Have you no come back with them.

• Advertisement

Car Mad wrote:
    I was messing you know what ever car you get you can have problems with as I said it comes down to luck.Mondeos are a good car I love the 2litre.Was the bracket broken in the garage?Have you no come back with them.

the guy that serviced it was a friend of my sister and he doesnt usually service cars so no come back on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think the real moral of the story is
    "Don't get someone who doesn't usually service cars to service your car"

colm_mcm wrote:
    I think the real moral of the story is
    "Don't get someone who doesn't usually service cars to service your car"

hmmm wait......yes.......ya know what, i think your on to somethin there

yup my fault, guy works with bodywork on cars and had the gear, he was just a bit of a muppet

th_69110_Motor_122_319lo.jpg

I got my baby back an hour ago. Im so happy. Now next on my to do list is one of these.

Advertisement