Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Halford's brand filters - Would you?

Options
  • 08-01-2007 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

I was bored off my skull earlier, so thought i'd pop down to Halfords, just for a look. While browsing, I thought i'd take a look at the fuel/oil/air filters for my boat, as it shares the same filters with a certain car brand. I managed to find the filter, 'Great' I thought. I opened up the box to discover the quality of the filter.

Absolute SH1TE! The filter in question was a cartridge oil filter (Not very common, I know) but the filter material was actually coming apart at the edges. I put it back in it's box and walked away

Just wondering if anyone has has used them before? Maybe the screw on filters are far superior.

In conclusion to the thread title: I wouldn't!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd agree with you JC. These components are designed with price in mind. If you do use them then be sure to change them a LOT more regularly than you would the manufacturers filter. The best bet is to look at the original filter and identify the manufacturer and then buy that brand from a motor factor.

I remember a lot of years ago when I worked in a VW distributor, we disassembled 2 oil filters, one was a VW filter, and the other was a MAN filter for the same make and model as the VW - the VW filter element, when unravelled, was 3 times longer than the MAN filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Weird thing, is there was onlt 50c in the price difference!

I mean, the Halford's one was 10.50eur
    The one I get in my local factor's is around 11eur

I always inspect the local motor factor's one before buying, and was always happy with the quality.

This particular filter is the cartridge type so you can see exactly the quality of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I use Halford's filters all the time (the screw on ones). Once they don't leak oil, I don't care about the rest really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The cartridge filters make it easier to spot any poor quality attributes, but it's not so apparent with the cassette type (screw on). I'd always prefer to buy a good quality oil filter. Dirt in the lubrication system can destroy an engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Oil and oil filters are probably the most important thing as regards engine life tbh. I always fit manufacturers filters and quality oil and you should too if you value your car that is.

• Advertisement

junkyard - I agree. I'm not too bothered about the car, but I give my boat the best quality stuff money can buy, 2l of gearoil (an annual change on marine gearboxes) cost me 32euro... eek!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

Some interesting links:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html

Ok, they are american but it gives an insight into the different types of filters.

Armadillo wrote:
    Some interesting links:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html

Ok, they are american but it gives an insight into the different types of filters.

Never knew the the screw-on filters were basicly the same concept as cartridge filters except with a housing. Thanks for the link, a long read but I reckon it'll be worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

I used to do a bit in the Motor Trade and for my own cars: always a genuine manufacturers oil filter and good quality oil. (Castrol Magnatec at the moment)
    In the past genuine parts were always much more expensive but the manufacturers realised they weren't selling many and reduced prices to compete with the 'spurious' manufacturers.
    That being said, in some cases the spurious part is exactly the same as the genuine; identical, made in the same factory, etc., but you cannot stand at the counter in your local motor factors and make a gob****e of yourself examining an oil filter before you pay for it, I don't bother and just get genuine.
    Incidentally I bought plugs in Halfords recently for an Opel Zafira I have, I like NGK plugs, but they were the wrong type so I brought them back and picked up a set at Opel when I was getting filters there and guess what: the Opel plugs were cheaper ! And I wasn't getting a trade discount cos I didn't know the guy

Advertisement