Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 - Window in the Skies

Options
  • 09-01-2007 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

This is by far lyrically one of the worst songs to hit the Radio in a long time. The first verse is Bono trying to get as many metaphors to rhyme as possible, and the Chorus is comical. Bono's falsetto is so poor, he's barely able to keep the melody flowing - he's clearly incapable of hitting the notes, and the falsetto takes from any potential feeling in the song.

I truly hope U2 won't make a return to this type of crap. If any other band released this tripe, they'd be laughed off the Radio - the stuff U2 released in the 90's was horiffic too. Unfortunately, take any song, stick Bono on it, have the Edge play any delayed jangly riff, and the public lap it up because it's 'U2'. Why? It's clearly a poor song ...

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Worst lyrics since Elevation I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Not one of their best-but a hell of a lot better than a lot of the tripe out there at the moment.
    Just as somepeople tend to be U2 bashers, some also like what they do.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

ned78 wrote:
    This is by far lyrically one of the worst songs to hit the Radio in a long time. - the stuff U2 released in the 90's was horiffic too.
    Opinions?
    I actually think its one of their better songs of the last 5 years.
    Lyrically its poor I agree but it has a very good melody.
    As for your statement that the stuff U2 released in the 90's was horrific,well thats codswallop.
    Achtung Baby released in 1991 is arguably their best album and one of the best albums of the 90's.
    They also hadnt sold out in the nineties something they have done since ATYCLB.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I actually think its one of their better songs of the last 5 years.
    Lyrically its poor I agree but it has a very good melody.
    As for your statement that the stuff U2 released in the 90's was horrific,well thats codswallop.
    Achtung Baby released in 1991 is arguably their best album and one of the best albums of the 90's.

You mean you thought Zooropa and Pop were good? And all the crap Bono did with his MacPhisto persona? I went to ZooTV in Parc Ui Chaoimh with huge expectations, and was so disappointed, and I thought some of the stuff that got serious airplay would have genuinely been laughed off if any other band released it. I'm glad to see a return to form with How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, but then again, we hear Window to the Skies on the Radio with just one melodic motif repeated over and over again, and you wonder if they're even trying anymore. Bono was quoted recently, expressing a desire to move away from Rock and take the band to a new direction. Is this the start?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

ned78 wrote:
    You mean you thought Zooropa and Pop were good? And all the crap Bono did with his MacPhisto persona? I went to ZooTV in Parc Ui Chaoimh with huge expectations, and was so disappointed, and I thought some of the stuff that got serious airplay would have genuinely been laughed off if any other band released it. I'm glad to see a return to form with How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, but then again, we hear Window to the Skies on the Radio with just one melodic motif repeated over and over again, and you wonder if they're even trying anymore. Bono was quoted recently, expressing a desire to move away from Rock and take the band to a new direction. Is this the start?
    Yes I thought Zooropa was good.
    Pop was average.
    I too saw U2 in Pairc Ui Chaoimh and visually I rate Zoo Tv as the most impressive tour by U2.
    I watched Zoo Tv Live from Sydney on DVD the other night and it looks amazing.
    Achtung Baby is a masterpiece.
    Dark ,brooding, lyrically superb.
    I am amused when people say HTDAAB is a return to form .
    Its a mediocre album at best ,it does have some heart wrenching songs but it has a few poor songs too.
    I miss McPhisto and U2's nonchalant attitude .
    They did things their way and with style.
    Sadly they sold out commercially after the PopMart tour.
    Ipods,Save the World,Arselicking ,Grammys etc.
    Mr McPhisto would have had none of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Uh Oh...another U2 abusefest on the horizon...

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Bobon

I agree with you on 'Window in the skies'. Terrible terrible song.

However, I think they recorded some great songs throughout the 90's. Achtung Baby was superb. Fair enough, Zooropa had one good song (Stay) but Pop had some absolute gems (MOFO, Last night on Earth, Gone). I liked the fact that they experimented even though it didnt always come off.

Would really like if they pushed the boat out on their next album and tried something completely different to what they're used to just because they can afford to. However, I don't see this happening. They have sold their souls to the devil.

A dissillusioned U2 fan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

i am somewhat a confused u2 fan. i agree that some of their 90's stuff def is not as good as 80's stuff. but same can be said about lots of bands ie earlier stuff is better.

regardless therer gigs are always an event, and mcphisto was brilliant so was mcfly. entertaining. i honestly cant believe how well how to dismantle.... done so well, is kinda crap and boring bar about 3 songs. pop is under rated, mofo is a great tune, even lol discotheque (after about 1000 listens i like the riffs)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

'm of the opinion that Window in The Sky is a fairly decent song. Not a classic by any means but certainly catchy and easily listened to. WRT lyrics, not every song has to have perfectly structured rhymes. In fact many of the best songs of all time don't make a lot of sense at times!

Obviously U2's 1990's songs were not quite as good as the 1980's, you just have to look at the 'best of' albums to see that. However, U2 have released some of the best songs of the 1990's e.g- One/Mysterious Ways/The Fly.

By setting such a high standard with the Joshua Tree, everyone has come to expect greatness from them everytime they release a new album. Fact is they havent been able to recreate the Joshua Tree (close with Acthung Baby), but have still made some of the best albums of the last two decades.

ATYCLB was a very good album and a return to rock following the experimentation with POP. HTDAAB had a number of very catchy songs and a few poor ones but still managed to outsell ATYCLB nearly twofold!

With regards to live concerts, Ive had the pleasure of being to 3
    Pop - Belfast
    Elevation - Slane
    Vertigo - Croker
    Each time they put on an excellent show - elevation in particular
    Fact is even if you don't know/like the songs they'll still put in a performance you'll remember for years to come.

/stooge

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yep, WITS is not their best song but it's not incredibly bad either when compared to other stuff on the radio. There are better songs out there at the mo and there are worse.

I'd describe WITS as a spacefiller, middle-of-the-road song. It won't be a classic but then again not all U2 songs can be classics. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 btowner

What's with the video for it aswell it has a lot of singers that would be considered their competition in the US such as Kanye West

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 MorriganGael

Bono is a great man and all of U2 are. They've done alot of good for the world.

I actually think the 90's songs such as Mysterious Ways are more profound in terms of Love than some of the 80's songs.

It is good you tell Bono that he's trying to do too much with a song, trying to mix and link too many metaphors in. Remember good songs evolve, things drop out and other passages are emphasized.

Bono has got to get his religion in line with what is happening with the wars in the middle east. I feel he has a spiritual blockage and he needs to make some songs about Peace he can't do thay by being on the spiritual defensive. He has to put his music with Love before his politics. Love before Politics.

He does listen to us, so it's important we are honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

heard it for the first time earlier on there and its very bad alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I take it your not a U2 fan, OP.

It's so easy to jump on the bandwagon and slag U2. It's ridiculous. Their home country, and the amount of people who actually hate U2 is unreal. Not dislike, but hate. It's crazy. Yes, there's many many fans (as they have all over the world) but outside my group of friends I'd be pushed to find a real U2fan.

Anyway, back on topic I don't see how Windows in the Skies is a bad song. The melody is one of their best. Lyrics, not great. Who gives a crap? Metaphors aren't the worst type of lyrics we have on our charts. Take a look at the prespective here people.

Fantastic melody - I hope their new album is like this.

And to say their 90s stuff is crap is just.....weird...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

I think U2 are hugely overrated... I find most of the recent stuff bland and generic, I really loved the pop album. at least they had the balls to try something new. They had so much promise in the 80s, it's a pity it never really materialised.. but fair play to them, they made a load of money.

And kudos to them for having Fela Kuti in their new video. though a lot of the artists in there shouldn't be there. Beyonce!!??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sangeetha

Hi Friends,

I am new to this forum.I will hear the song...

Advertisement