Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M&S for the Crescent???

Options
  • 09-01-2007 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

My mother works in the Crescent and there's a rumour going around that Marks are going into ther retail space currently occupied by Shaws and JR Fashions...

JR are definately moving to town, but what she heard is that Shaws are taking the lease on Newsoms...

I think this would be great as Marks Pick and mix will be more than welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I'd be surprised if it was I don't think the unit size would be big enough for M&S would be nice to see something else go in there though Shaws is just so outdated it's not funny and as for JR's - the name says it all! Most of the women who shop there learned how to dress from watching Dallas

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ninty9er wrote:
    My mother works in the Crescent and there's a rumour going around that Marks are going into ther retail space currently occupied by Shaws and JR Fashions...

JR are definately moving to town, but what she heard is that Shaws are taking the lease on Newsoms...

Everytime a new development is announced in Limerick the M&S rumour wagon starts up again. I don't think M&S would be allowed into the Crescent shopping centre as they sell groceries as well as clothing. This would make them a direct rival to Tesco who are the anchor tenant in the Crescent shopping centre. They would surely object. I think that is the way it works anyway. Notice there are no Tesco and Dunnes Stores sharing any shopping centres together.

More likely if M&S were coming to Limerick they would opt for the more centralised Opera Centre if it ever gets built.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanigamadan

bazz26 - I thought that there would never be a Dunnes and Tesco in the same shopping centre but I was in the Sky(?) shopping centre in Shannon Town a few weeks ago.

There they are like two sisters who don't like each other at Christmas dinner table.

bazz26 - I thought that there would never be a Dunnes and Tesco in the same shopping centre but I was in the Sky(?) shopping centre in Shannon Town a few weeks ago.

There they are like two sisters who don't like each other at Christmas dinner table.

The Skycourt centre is different as in it is the town centre rather than a shopping centre owned by the same landlord afaik. Aldi or Lidel are also located there. Dunnes Stores and Tesco are also not far from each other in Limerick City Centre but they are not located in the same building as they are rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Thought that too, but what else is likely to be able to fill a space that size. It's a whole corner of the shopping centre

Another TK (not so cheap) Maxx or another Carphone Warehouse....these people are springing up everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I don't care where M&S locate in Limerick ..... just come ..... please !!!! :)
    (when I was born I was given a card saying ..."when your a big lad Limerick will have a M&S" ..... I didn't realize I was going to be 90 before they arrived :( )

Shannon Sky Court is a Town Centre .... not a Shopping Centre ? .... :confused:

...... core blimey that's splitting hairs for sure .... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Shaws are going? since when? tbh I'd much prefer M&S in town....

Shaws are going?

MOVING!!!

I've been in Marks and Sparks stores in both Cork and Dublin and to be honest I don't see what all they hype is about. Their grocery department is like most other grocery departments, their clothing and hardware are not great and rather pricey imo.

Imo Limerick is not missing much.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

eamon234 wrote:
    I'd be surprised if it was I don't think the unit size would be big enough for M&S
    Should be bigger than the space they have in the Corrib centre in Galway. Now that's pathetically small.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Yahoo.....whether it's TKmaxx or M&S, it's just another UK chain whose Irish stores can stock "UK coin sorters" for Christmas, as spotted in TKmaxx at the Parkway :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

bazz26 wrote:
    Aldi or Lidel are also located there. Dunnes Stores and Tesco are also not far from each other in Limerick City Centre but they are not located in the same building as they are rivals.

No aldi in shannon, and the sky court is run by a single company iirc.

@Liam - Not the coin sorter thing again! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

M&S is needed just for their ready made meals and their oakham ready to roast chicken. M&S is the holy grail for lazy cooks everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I agree :)
    Their ready made meals are lovely...

bazz26 wrote:
    I've been in Marks and Sparks stores in both Cork and Dublin and to be honest I don't see what all they hype is about. Their grocery department is like most other grocery departments, their clothing and hardware are not great and rather pricey imo.

Imo Limerick is not missing much.

I live in M&S jeans ..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Liam Byrne wrote:
    Yahoo.....whether it's TKmaxx or M&S, it's just another UK chain whose Irish stores can stock "UK coin sorters" for Christmas, as spotted in TKmaxx at the Parkway :rolleyes:
    I bought that for my father in Next last year for christmas
    Course I never knew till he opened it and tried to use it
    face was priceless

arent TKmaxx american?

1huge1 wrote:

arent TKmaxx american?

Yup, but they have a different name there. TK something or other

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

If all these roumors about Marks and Spencers opening in Limerick came true, they would have had more branches than dunnes stores by now.

They were supposed to open on Cruises Street, Opera Center, Crescent, Childers Road SC, where else?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

:)

Still, it'd be nice to see them in Limerick.
    Love their food, and I love Blue Harbour clothes....

There's a snippet in the post this week page 4 or 6 I think, saying they're still looking for a suitable location

apologies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

If all these rumours about Marks and Spencers opening in Limerick came true, they would have had more branches than dunnes stores by now.

They were supposed to open on Cruises Street, Opera Center, Crescent, Childers Road SC, where else?

George Hotel, Harveys Quay, Hilton, Newsoms/McCarthys.
    wrote:
    There's a snippet in the post this week page 4 or 6 I think, saying they're still looking for a suitable location

pg16

They were going to take the Spaights site at one time ...... :rolleyes:

1huge1 wrote:
    arent TKmaxx american?

Aside from the UK companies that think "it's only Ireland, it'll do", the US companies are the worst offenders for not realising that it's a separate country.....hell, Bush-brain couldn't even differentiate between Iraq and it's leader and Afghanistan and one of its organisations. :dunce:

My response when I spot something like that is to email them saying "I know you're a Canadian company and probably didn't realise, but......" :D

OT: The last encounter I had was while checking around for the Budweiser Christmas music and when it would be on TV; when I emailed Anheiser-Busch and asked them, and they told me to check out "bud.co.uk" or something like that for things in my area.....I replied saying that it was pointless my checking out a foreign website looking for things that would be on TV here.

BOT: Seriously, though - what's the point in stocking stuff that is of absolutely no use to anyone who calls into the shop ? Especially if that stuff makes the customer realise that the chain doesn't give a bollox about their prospective customers ?

Since their food is reportedly so good, if and when M&S do arrive, I'm gonna pop in to see if they do Yorkshire puddings or stuff for a "Full English Breakfast" :rolleyes:

And no, I'm not a raving nationalist (at least, not in the currently-interpreted definition of the word since it's been hijacked by extremists) but these chains need to be told to cop on; imagine if they tried selling skimpy bikinis in Iraq or Christmas decorations in Amish or Jewish countries....they wouldn't; so why should we fawn at them and eagerly await their arrival and settle for less-than-respectful service ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Every time I visited Cork I used to bring back food from M&S.
    The qualitly of the food I found for my tastes way way better
    and even the Sweet section was yummy.
    Even buying a ready made sandwich or breadroll in there the
    bread was tastier/softer than other places.

The Clothes dept was WAAYYYYyyyyy too expensive though.

~B

Liam Byrne wrote:
    Aside from the UK companies that think "it's only Ireland, it'll do", the US companies are the worst offenders for not realising that it's a separate country.....hell, Bush-brain couldn't even differentiate between Iraq and it's leader and Afghanistan and one of its organisations. :dunce:

My response when I spot something like that is to email them saying "I know you're a Canadian company and probably didn't realise, but......" :D

OT: The last encounter I had was while checking around for the Budweiser Christmas music and when it would be on TV; when I emailed Anheiser-Busch and asked them, and they told me to check out "bud.co.uk" or something like that for things in my area.....I replied saying that it was pointless my checking out a foreign website looking for things that would be on TV here.

BOT: Seriously, though - what's the point in stocking stuff that is of absolutely no use to anyone who calls into the shop ? Especially if that stuff makes the customer realise that the chain doesn't give a bollox about their prospective customers ?

Since their food is reportedly so good, if and when M&S do arrive, I'm gonna pop in to see if they do Yorkshire puddings or stuff for a "Full English Breakfast" :rolleyes:

And no, I'm not a raving nationalist (at least, not in the currently-interpreted definition of the word since it's been hijacked by extremists) but these chains need to be told to cop on; imagine if they tried selling skimpy bikinis in Iraq or Christmas decorations in Amish or Jewish countries....they wouldn't; so why should we fawn at them and eagerly await their arrival and settle for less-than-respectful service ?

1. I believe the term you're looking for is republican and not nationalist

2. UK companies are far worse at checking out our laws than than US ones...(probably because the yanks know that we're second only to them in the suing stakes)
    The US company my dad works for at least went to the bother of checking out Irish H&S in the workplace as opposed to the document I was presented with by my UK employer which I unwittingly signed not realising at the time that they must use Irish and not UK H&S in this jurisdiction. I'm holding that back for a while though just in case I need a bit of ammo against them at any stage

I rem the old days in Limerick before the big Multi National stores arrived .... it was fine as long as you didn't mind not being able to buy what you wanted .... :)

...... and if by accident you got what you wanted, it cost twice as much as it should have ..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

^^ ah the good old days
    they will be missed

though im just about 17 so I dont really remember being much different from what it is
    my earliest memories are being dragged around dunnes stores in the parkway and the cresent (before what seems like years ago now the cinema and library were built)
    the shops there used to be really crap

how long has GAME been on cruises street I can't remember it not being there

1huge1 wrote:
    how long has GAME been on cruises street I can't remember it not being there

Which ? GAME or Cruises St ? :D

how long has GAME been on Cruises street I can't remember it not being there

How did you get into it .... I can't remember ...... was it through the front entrance to Cruises hotel? .... :rolleyes:

attachment.php?attachmentid=3603&stc=1&d=1165256224

attachment.php?attachmentid=3612&stc=1&d=1165280895

ps. My new years resolution has been changed ..... I'm never ever going out with anyone called Tracey ..... ever again !!!!!!! :cool:

1168378796314_0.8304535287479087.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭4tothefloor

ninty9er wrote:

Im a director of a company in the Crescent and I know JR well. Anyway, to put a few things right:

1. Shaws own their unit in the Crescent, so they are going nowhere. Unless that is Clancourt Management (who own the CSC) buy Shaw's unit off of them, which would cost millions at this stage. Lots of rumours and those in the know say they are just that....
    2. IF, and it's a big IF, M&S come to the Crescent.....there will be no groceries or food. Tesco have that sewn up, and all the units on the mall that Tesco currently occupy will eventually be given over to Tesco. There will not be another grocer. It will be a Tesco mall geared towards 24 hr shopping. But that's down the road. Secondly, If M&S decide to take up JR's unit on the Dooradoyle Mall the most likely scenario is that an extension will be built out on to the car park adjacent to JR's/Chartbusters. This has already been mooted.

On a side note, JR's isn't the only store closing down in the Crescent. Brambles Resturant and Adams Kids are also closing down. This follows closures for Esperit, Benetton and a few others in recent times. The reasons for these closures is rent reviews. Basically the crescent management are DOUBLING everyones rent. So someone who is paying say €100k annual rent will now be paying €200k. It's a bit of a joke and a disgrace really. The upshot is, get ready for stores in places like the crescent eventually all being British/Mult-National multichains. All well and good, but they all sell the same stuff, often rubbish quality. Plus everyone gets to dress the same.....

The quality of store that clancourt have recently attracted to the crescent since the new extension leaves a lot to be desired. The likes of Next, River Island, Monsoon, H&M and Mexx may all be big names but what they are selling is nothing but ****. Anyone who has tried shopping for anything half decent there will tell you. I'll spare Zara, for now, but nothing to write home about there either. I won't even get started on Jeanscene......As for the amount of mobile phone stores, again ridiculous. Basically, the Crescent has gone from being a decent middle class SC to one that is now offering nothing more than poor high street drivel, and all at the expense of the independent retailer who is being slowly squeezed out. Sad really.

Advertisement