Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religious people and blame

Options
  • 09-01-2007 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Firstly, this is not intended as a troll. I'm not religious myself, but I have no problems with other people's religions.

My missus is Sikh, but not into it that much. Her mother is really into it though. Apparently, according to the Sikh religion, you're not allowed to wash your hair on certain days, one of them being Sunday. Anyway, yesterday the missus washed her hair and her mother complained about it. The missus replied that she has never followed that rule and washes her hair whenever, to which her mother replied "Well, maybe that's why your life has been so miserable"

When I heard this story, the first thing I thought was maybe her life wouldn't have been so miserable if her parents hadn't married her off at age 18 to a mentally unstable alcoholic loser (arranged marriage) instead of letting her go to college like she wanted.

Anyway, the whole episode got me thinking about how I feel that a lot of really religious people blame God for their problems. Instead of accepting that their problems may have been caused by themselves, a lot of people put it down as God punishing them for something, or it being part of God's plan.

Is this something people agree with, or are deeply religious people able to accept their own faults? Obviously, it's not a black and white answer, and not everybody is the same, but in general, do you guys see this trait in religious people?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Exit wrote:
    Anyway, the whole episode got me thinking about how I feel that a lot of really religious people blame God for their problems.

Well by saying blame God then I'd have to ask which one? Are y ou talking about one particular religion? Sounds very generalised for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

6th wrote:
    Well by saying blame God then I'd have to ask which one? Are y ou talking about one particular religion? Sounds very generalised for me.

Each religion has their own version of God, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Exit wrote:
    Anyway, the whole episode got me thinking about how I feel that a lot of really religious people blame God for their problems.
    To this I would have to say that IMO if one really understands and connects with one's God(s) one would see clearly that problems are our own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Exit wrote:
    Each religion has their own version of God, no?

Or Gods, but really i think your comments are too general to sit well with me. As someone from a religious background I know of very few people (if any) who would blame their God/s for there misfortune.

I might be wrong but one of the few places I could imagine it would be in a stronge, guilt driven catholic setting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Some religions hold that those of that religion have a compact/contract/agreement with thier gods and that they have to honour that or else face the consquences.

Yes there is a stick and carrot approach to a lot of religions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Exit wrote:
    Anyway, the whole episode got me thinking about how I feel that a lot of really religious people blame God for their problems. Instead of accepting that their problems may have been caused by themselves, a lot of people put it down as God punishing them for something, or it being part of God's plan.
    Which is of course a cop-out. If the same people weren't religious they'd find something or someone else to blame.
    Exit wrote:
    Is this something people agree with, or are deeply religious people able to accept their own faults?
    If anything, my religion encourages me to accept the consequences of my actions, and deal with them as best I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Talliesin wrote:
    Which is of course a cop-out. If the same people weren't religious they'd find something or someone else to blame.

Actually, I think some of that is just the way mothers operate. Mine says more or less the same things, but ascribes them to how late in the day I get up.

Essentially, it is very difficult for most parents not to give advice along the generic lines of "if you did [social or religious convention] instead of selfishly suiting yourself you'd be [happier/wealthier/whatever].

It's nothing to do with religion - it's the just the mumbling of charms out of fear for your child. It's far easier to brave on your own behalf.
    Talliesin wrote:
    If anything, my religion encourages me to accept the consequences of my actions, and deal with them as best I can.

And atheism leaves me no choice!

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote:
    And atheism leaves me no choice!
    No, you do also have the choice to go "ah, it'll all make no difference anyway when I'm dead".

It's your having some cop-on that leaves you no choice as to how you deal with the range of possibilities your belief-system leads you to foresee.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Talliesin wrote:
    No, you do also have the choice to go "ah, it'll all make no difference anyway when I'm dead".

It's your having some cop-on that leaves you no choice as to how you deal with the range of possibilities your belief-system leads you to foresee.

Well, it will make a difference to my daughter, but I take your point. Also your compliment - thanks!

Tell you what I do find weird about certain Christians and blame - when they blame Satan for something.

For example - arguing with a Creationist about the 'great global atheist conspiracy of materialist science':

Me: "seriously, I'm a scientist, I know lots of scientists, there really isn't anything like that happening"

Creationist: "yes there is, you're wrong"

Me: "do you think I'm lying?"

Creationist: "no, I think you are deluded by Satan"

It cracks me up. It's like someone saying with a straight face "you are deluded by Santa Claus".

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 saabi

"My missus is Sikh, but not into it that much. Her mother is really into it though. Apparently, according to the Sikh religion, you're not allowed to wash your hair on certain days, one of them being Sunday.

Dude this has nothing to do sikhism, your wife may be a sikh but is following some Hindu traditions..

Sikhism as religion conveys a high degree of mutual respect and tolerance for other religions. Hence, some non practicing sikhs adopt habits, superstitions or traditions from other religions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

It seems to me that most religions have some element of social codes which are based on culture rather than the teachings of their founders. Over time they become so institutionalised that no-one really questions their validity or relevance.

Going back to the original question, it would appear that the idea of divine retribution for our wicked deeds is very common, however I think it is human nature to look to blame someone about things we don't want to confront in ourselves - who better to blame than God(s)? After all, it/they does not usually manifest for a punch up after receiving verbal abuse which makes blaming it/them very convenient!

www.electricpublications.com

Scofflaw wrote:
    Creationist: "no, I think you are deluded by Satan"

It cracks me up. It's like someone saying with a straight face "you are deluded by Santa Claus".
    People like to ascribe motives to other people's behaviour that fits their understanding.

It's no different to some atheists saying those of us that are religious don't understand science.

Advertisement