Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pleeeeeeeeease help me choose a DVD Hard Drive recorder??

• 09-01-2007 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

I've looked at roughly 19,362 (:rolleyes:) reviews and guides and I still haven't a clue which one to go for, mainly because I haven't a clue about this stuff.

So, PLEASE help!

Budget: preferably under E350 but would be prepared to go E420ish if it was really worth it.

Need the recorder to work hassle-free with NTL Digital.

Multi-region would be great, but it wouldn't be too big a deal if it only played Euro DVDs.

Would like a big hard drive (120+).

Electronic Program Guide (EPG) would be great.

Ability to store and display photos and music would be ideal.

That Simultaneous Record and Play feature, ie watch a programme from the start while recording it.

Will take any advice on brands but have always had a soft spot for Sony.

Can anyone out there think of something that fits the bill?

Thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I've looked at roughly 19,362 (:rolleyes:) reviews and guides and I still haven't a clue which one to go for, mainly because I haven't a clue about this stuff.

So, PLEASE help!

Budget: preferably under E350 but would be prepared to go E420ish if it was really worth it.

Need the recorder to work hassle-free with NTL Digital.

Multi-region would be great, but it wouldn't be too big a deal if it only played Euro DVDs.

Would like a big hard drive (120+).

Electronic Program Guide (EPG) would be great.

Ability to store and display photos and music would be ideal.

That Simultaneous Record and Play feature, ie watch a programme from the start while recording it.

Will take any advice on brands but have always had a soft spot for Sony.

Can anyone out there think of something that fits the bill?

Thank you!

Hello TS.

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055025798

I've had the Toshiba for a month now and it's a brilliant unit. Be very careful when choosing between 'Timeshift' and 'Timeslip' which are completely different things. 'Timeslip' is the more efficient of the two. I think the Sony ones only do 'Timeshift' (also known as 'chasing playback').
    They are, IMO, grossly overpriced, as are the JVCs.

Freddie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

My pioneer 530h has 160 gig and a really handy EPG and also can change the channel on my ntl digital box (unlike some recorders). Very happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Thunder_struck

Thanks a million Freddie and Sweetie, I took the plunge in the end and went for the Pioneer DVR540 Multiregion....gulp. Was very tempted by the Toshibas and Sonys but the Pioneers seemed to score consistently well in everyone's reviews. No doubt it won't have a bunch of features I'd like, but it sounds good. Fingers crossed. Thanks again.

I'm sure it will do everything you requested above. Where did you purchase it and how much was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Thunder_struck

sweetie wrote:
    I'm sure it will do everything you requested above. Where did you purchase it and how much was it?

Hi Sweetie, I bought it from www.richersounds.ie for E450 :eek: A lot more than I originally intended paying but hopefully it will mean it won't be obsolete in six months! I haven't got it yet, fingers crossed it arrives in one piece.

• Advertisement

Same as where I got my 530. Believe me it is well worth paying the extra tp get such a quality product. I had a liteon that crashed a lot and died after a year so I did my research and have been very happy with the pioneer.
    Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Thunder Struck i was going to post the exact thread but found yours:)
    450 is a bit steep for me i was thinking of spending 350 max.I really dont have a clue on how to use them is the manual you get easy to comprehend????
    I may pop into town and get one later and figure it out:confused:
    Just realised Richer sounds in dublin closed..

Ordered mine from richer sounds a few days ago so hopefully get it shortly:D

13th of jan I ordered the dvr took them 4 days to tell me it was out of stock.No sign of it yet:mad:

That's a shame but stick with it. It is a great machine!

• Advertisement
Advertisement