Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

about potty trainning and stop bottle feeding

Options
  • 09-01-2007 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hello there,

I'm a S.Korean but living in Dublin with my Irish family.
    And I have a 2 year-old-boy now.

About the son, he has had an eczema since 4months old
    and he is allergic to milk and seafood as well.
    So I've fed him Wysoy milk instead of cow milk.
    But you know he doesn't like any bread or bread roll.
    He likes only food contains milk in it such as pastas,
    coddle(is the spell right? I heard it's an Irish traditional food), creamy butter etc..

So I've been in an agony everytime I cook something for my son.
    So that's why I couldn't stop bottle feeding sooner.

1.What is the good food for eczema boy?
    Actually I'm not good at cooking Irish food.
    If you know something good , would you tell me the recipe as well?

2. I'm going to stop feeding bottle on bed before going sleep.
    What is the good idea to stop feeding at night and just lef him fall asleep of himself?

I left him without nappy over 2 hrs to check it's the time for the potty training in day time.
    And he didn't pee at all for 2 hrs so I want to start the pee training.

But he doesn't want to get out of sofa without nappy at all.
    And he refuses going to potty chair.
    He peed on the carpet in the sitting room without notice.
    I couldn't see any different facial sign on his face at all when he felt like peeing.

3.So How can I know he feels peeing??
    Or is it a good term of potty training for him?

I think he feels very cold and that's why he is stuck on the sofa.
    so I gave him a nappy with trousers again,
    he started to walk around house.

If you give me good ideas for them, I appreciate you.
    We have Korean way for the potty training but I can't apply it here because
    you enjoy using carpet in your house, but Korean rooms are almost floor.
    So I want to learn Irish potty training. Thanks for reading till the end.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Maybe he is still a bit too young for potty training?
    Most boys start potty training at about 2 and a half in Ireland as that is the age at which the start to get enough control to hold it until they can get to a potty.

For food, try any of the books by Annabel Karmel

Your doctor will need to advise you about his skin condition. Our son had very bad skin that seemed to be triggered by Johnsons baby products (he would scratch until he drew blood). Our doctor advised us to use E45 and emulave for his bath and Silcocks Base or Aqueous Cream on his skin at night this cleared up his skin (except for some patches that needed steroid cream from the doctor), but even now johnsons baby wipes (huggies pure are okay though) can bring him out in a rash.

For the bottle try changing him to a beaker by giving him his bottle with the beaker spout on it instead of the teat (the avent bottles and beakers can interchange the teats and spouts) then move him to using the beaker completely. We have started this process with out 11 month old but it worked for our son at about 1 year.

Best of luck with your son, don't forget that you can call your community nurse in your local health centre for advice on all of the items you have mentioned, she will have seen all of these issues before, and may even be able to put you in contact with other S. Korean parents or advise on how they overcame these issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭frany

Thanks very much for the nice reply.
    I visited clinic and talked about these problems with a nurse there.
    And she said my son is bit young to start the potty training
    and it's winter time so it's too cold for the baby.
    She said mostly, Irish babies start it in summer time in Ireland.

As for the bottle, I think you have a really good idea.
    But nurse said it still should be fine with feeding bottle before going sleep only.

Yes my son also has steroid cream with anti-histamine syrup for just in case.
    And I use Paraffin gel for him because Silcock's base cream doesn't work for him.
    But now almost of eczema has gone.
    Anyway, I still save some medicines for his eczema for just in case.

For food, I will have a look the stuff you recommended.
    Thanks very much for the good reply one more time.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Frany,
    I'm glad that you got some good advice from the nurses clinic.
    My son was 2 and a half when I trained him last summer. It is so much easier in the summer as you can let your son run around without any pants or nappy on and he won't get cold. My son still isn't fully trained as he still needs nappies at night and he is now 3. Some children are slower to train but i'm not too worried. He still gets a bottle at night but i'm trying to take that off him. He has a sister aged 1 and she gets a bottle so it makes it harder to take his bottle away.
    I hope your sons eczema clears up.

Best wishes, Crea

Advertisement