Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL broadband not loading some sites

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mdev

rapidshare.com was back working for me for a couple of hours but its gone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

yes,...RS.com & others did come back for me too but gone again now......:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Carroll

I am having a similar problem access some sites on NTL (home), that I can access fine on a different provider (work / mobilephone).

One of the sites I can't connect to is DogTrainingIreland.com. Yet I can access DogTrainingIreland.ie perfectly fine. Both the websites are hosted with the same US company, with the .com autoforwarding to the .ie. They have different IP's. (I look after the site).

It seemed to suddently start on Tuesday (16th Jan 2007) evening.

Am waiting on an NTL technician to not ring back :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

It seems to be US based sites, from what I can see, and when you do a traceroute it always breaks down at blueyonder.co.uk

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Of course i am still waiting for NTL to call back. My last cal lto them being last Friday. i was even promised an engineer... i guess he got lost.

here 2 speedtests:
    A good one, where it is at its normal behaviour and the bad one, usually i have the good connection early evening, till around 9 pm. then it is back to bad.

14/01/2007 22:19 5349 kbps (653 KB/s) 0 kbps (0 KB/s) 82 % 47 ms 308 ms
    14/01/2007 20:01 5897 kbps (720 KB/s) 524 kbps (64 KB/s) 99 % 45 ms 19 ms

I just cant get a single bit away here. Causing websites to time out or load horribly slow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭LumoColor

Im also having problems with NTL when accessing some sites, for example: bf2s.com (BF2 stats site). Stopped working on Sunday night.

Works fine through netsource.

Logged a call through the website to support 3 days ago, no response.

I've tried using OpenDNS and according to the test page it's configured correctly but the same problem exists. What's that about?

I have opendns in use as well but it doesn't improve much. I have asked a round at work a bit and i hear quite a few people complain about this problem. And they are on different providers.
    I am more or less out of options. I did my bit, now it is the providers turn. Not holding my breath though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lateshift

i've had these problems since the new year (NTL max), tried OpenDNS a week back but it made no difference. a lot of the free file hosting sites seem to be affected, first to go on me was 'filefactory.com', then 'megaupload.com', followed by 'rapidshare.com'. RS came back after a few days, but the others are still just blank pages and tonight i found that 'gigasize.com' is another no-go.

i put in a call to NTL tonight and they claimed not to know of any problem with these sites. but.. the guy did ask me for the mac no. on my modem??
    if this is NTL's way of reducing bandwidth abuse i think i'll be heading for the Smart alternative.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

They trace based on modem macs. Its tied to your a/c. They'd ask for it regardless when reporting any BB issues.
    They would only reduce bandwidth with a stream analyser that minimizes available bandwidth for P2P and BT traffic during peak hours. Because of the amount of traffic that'd have to watch and learn trends and what not, I doubt they have any constraints on bandwidth abuse.

• Advertisement

Tonight is the first day since december 29th that i seem to have the proper connection. Whether NTL is controlling data abuse i dont know. i had a warning a few months ago but after that i did behave (was a matter of different interpretation of their rules). Since that letter i have been every month around the 40 gb data (up and down =40 gb, i assumed you had 40 gb a month download only....) so i cant believe that 5 months later they will "teach" me a lesson. Times my connection was bad was rather inconsistent as well.
    Come to think of it... 40 gb per month on a 6mb line is somewhat hilarious....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

lateshift wrote:
    i've had these problems since the new year (NTL max), tried OpenDNS a week back but it made no difference. a lot of the free file hosting sites seem to be affected, first to go on me was 'filefactory.com', then 'megaupload.com', followed by 'rapidshare.com'. RS came back after a few days, but the others are still just blank pages and tonight i found that 'gigasize.com' is another no-go.

i put in a call to NTL tonight and they claimed not to know of any problem with these sites. but.. the guy did ask me for the mac no. on my modem??
    if this is NTL's way of reducing bandwidth abuse i think i'll be heading for the Smart alternative.
    RS.com, RS.de, gigasize.com & filefactory.com working for me now (NThell max) megaupload.com is not.

Still having problems. Has anyone else noticed it getting better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lateshift

lensman wrote:
    RS.com, RS.de, gigasize.com & filefactory.com working for me now (NThell max) megaupload.com is not.
    today i saw megaupload and gigasize were working again.. and filefactory is still dead unless i use a proxy.
    i got a return call last night from BB support. she could only suggest i lower my browser privacy settings, which made no difference.. but 'they are looking into the problem'.

and maybe they really are :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭speedy21

Megaupload not working for me at 3.30am - so cant be off peak.
    Logged in using dial up and Megaupload works no problem - so deffo being blocked by NTL for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

browser privacy settings ? these people really are clueless arent they. what in the world has browsers' settings got to do with whether NTL are able to route your traffic to a server lol.

MAJOR UPDATE::

https://www.inex.ie/technical/peeringmatrix

UPC live at INEX

currently there are only 3 useful peerings up at the moment though. Microsoft, Eircom and NTL Telewest.
    Looks like they are slowly getting things sorted

RIPE data shows that they have yet to switch on the BGP announcements, so might take awhile before the new routes kick in
    http://www.ripe.net/fcgi-bin/whois?searchtext=AS6830&form_type=simple

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

I've been noticing the same thing.

Before X-Mas, for two days there were a load of sites in the UK I could not connect to via NTL, from one of the UK's largest hosting providers.

Running a tracert stopped within NTL.

Using alternative connections, these sites worked just fine.

Yesterday, I couldn't connect to EA.com for a while. Then it fixed itself - so I'm rather confused as to why this is happening, though I've noticed it myself.

its the routers within the NTL network either having conflicts between each other during routing updates, or just plain dodgy software being run on these systems which are either crashing/locking or causing the devices to act completely strange lol

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

JNive wrote:
    MAJOR UPDATE::

https://www.inex.ie/technical/peeringmatrix

UPC live at INEX

currently there are only 3 useful peerings up at the moment though. Microsoft, Eircom and NTL Telewest.
    Looks like they are slowly getting things sorted

About time. Hope they peer wth heanet pretty soon.

• Advertisement

Still a joke here, look at the last 10 tests i did:

Called NTL 8x now (asked how may calls were logged... 3)
    Was promised an engineer for the 2nd time.

24/01/2007 18:58 5509 kbps (673 KB/s) 2 kbps (1 KB/s) 94 % 45 ms 42 ms
    24/01/2007 18:30 5762 kbps (704 KB/s) 550 kbps (68 KB/s) 98 % 43 ms 29 ms
    23/01/2007 22:54 5870 kbps (717 KB/s) 517 kbps (64 KB/s) 98 % 44 ms 22 ms
    23/01/2007 18:54 5760 kbps (704 KB/s) 521 kbps (64 KB/s) 97 % 51 ms 32 ms
    23/01/2007 18:19 5847 kbps (714 KB/s) 523 kbps (64 KB/s) 98 % 41 ms 48 ms
    22/01/2007 19:45 1236 kbps (151 KB/s) 438 kbps (54 KB/s) 59 % 367 ms 318 ms
    22/01/2007 19:43 262 kbps (32 KB/s) 446 kbps (55 KB/s) 37 % 350 ms 526 ms
    22/01/2007 19:28 1513 kbps (185 KB/s) 488 kbps (60 KB/s) 91 % 311 ms 240 ms
    22/01/2007 19:27 1449 kbps (177 KB/s) 510 kbps (63 KB/s) 78 % 290 ms 271 ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Erratic pings between 50 and 300ms to other Eircom users within a few km of my house so looks like those new routes haven't kicked in yet. In 3 weeks time I wont give a **** though, I'll be using BT for my BB and phone and Sky for my tv. Fúck ntl and im not gonna look back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JamieD

I'm subscribed on Chorus line in Clonmel area, and the last few days have been awful trying to browse web. I can reach speeds of around 600kb/s from Usenet (but not constant, falls to 0 very often and usually lingers much slower than the norm) and yet browsing is no good to me, it's just incredibly slow, everything times out.

If I try, for example, to check my Bank Of Ireland account balances, by the time it actually loads after I login, my session has been terminated because I have been inactive for over 5 minutes. I can login to barely any sites because as soon after I submit the details, 9 times out of 10 it will fail to load the next page (instead Firefox just gives me blank page and "Done" status).

It took me over an hour to register on these forums. Worst of all, I do some work on the Internet and with this problem, I've lost literally 100s of euros since the service slowed down for me because I have to wait unbelievable times for web pages to load or even reach the company I work for - this also does not make me look very good to my employer.

I really am getting tired of have frequent problems, and they always seem to occur at the worst possible times - any of you here live in this area that can recommend a more reliable service?

Oh and BTW, as was mentioned earlier, 40GB monthly limit for a 6MB line is completely ridiculous, but right now, I'm willing to settle for less just as long as the damn service "works".

Oh and.... since I have these problems, if I accidentally double post, I do apologise, I anticipate it will take a couple of attempts to submit this message..

Chorus is so bad for you it really sounds like an emergency SOS you are trying to send.

If you can get Digiweb Metro or Magnet ADSL2+ you might have some good luck, or Smart Broadband however things tend to proceed at a slower pace with them.

If all else fails, BT is probably the best option for you, or if reliability and just working is the most important thing, with speed and cost not as important, Eircom themselves would be your best bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JamieD

things are looking up a bit now but I hope it's the same tomorrow during the day which is when I'd prefer to get some work done.

@JNive, thanks for the advice man :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Give NTL a little time for the peering to have its full effect and about time that they peered with INEX tbh.

Still got problems with Imageshack, Imagevenue and lots of other US based sites which simply don't load.

They'll work if I use a proxy in my browser but that is a pain in the arse.

I don't know what that means. Can you explain?

Give NTL a little time for the peering to have its full effect and about time that they peered with INEX tbh.

I think i have been patient enough. My connection is a pain in the ... (fill in the blanks) for 4 weeks now. If NTL is updating, making changes... fine with me but give your customers info. Dont have them call your support 8x (and log 3 calls) and brake all the promises you make.
    At the moment NTL is a joke. Too bad i cant laugh about this joke as it is costing me €40 a month.

Just to be clear, OfflerCrocGod, this is not aimed at you personally of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

inforfun wrote:
    Just to be clear, OfflerCrocGod, this is not aimed at you personally of course.
    I know I didn't take it personally :) I once desperately wanted NTL to roll out in my area so I could dump Eircom/Bitstream. I can't tell how long it will take to fix the mess that has become the NTL network but I do think that NTL will regain it's position as one of the best broadband providers in the country; I don't think UPC want to become a UTV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 2000ad

Just found this thread and I've been experiencing similar problems. For example,
    http://img150.imagevenue.com will not load in NTL but will load from Eircom. The strange thing is that other imagevenue hosts will work. The net effect is that if someone posts 20 pics to a messageboard, all using imagevenue, then I only see a few of the thumbnails. My first impression was that this was a sneaky way of NTL limiting bandwidth but you guys recon this is a routing issue?

Advertisement