Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warlock Nerf.

Options
  • 09-01-2007 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

oh you b@stards.

http://www.wowinsider.com/2007/01/08/warlocks-nerfed-every-other-class-throws-a-party/#comments

10% dot reduction my @rse, i may aswell jump on the bandwagon with the rest of the winers:
    • nerf rogues, dont allow them to wield swords, or weapons, make them wear oven mits. and make them get a 10 minute debuff called cowardly bastard reducing all stats by 75% whenever they gank somebody in the back while grinding.
    • nerf hunters, make there pets have a 5.0 attack speed and turn their pets into fluffy pink bunnies. give them leprocy also, so their fingers fall off and they cant wield a bow.
    • nerf shadow priests, give them an "under clerical investigation" debuff after each attack which stops them from blatantly screwing the next character they come accross, and makes them hide down the country. also disallows them to stand within 20 meters of the children in stormwind. Also randomly god should SMITE them for 20,000,000 damage for being an abomonation to the faith.
    • kill all undead, they have been alive long enough
    • WOTF, now makes them wet their pants and annouce a loss when they use that IMBA racial.
    • Taurens all get afflicted with BSE, get round up and thrown into blackrock mountain lava pit.
    • warlock fear should be instant cast.
    • palladins should be vaccuum packed next time they are placed in a bubble and sent back to the cathedral for retraining.
    • all classes (except gnomes and dwarves) get a talent called squash. inflicting 100,000 dmg to the gnome's face you are dancing on.
    • next time an Undead eats my corpse he is afflicted with a debuff called "indigestion" causing his insides to spill out. and die. for good.
    • Blizz remove Shaman's totems after an in-depth survey down south in the US realises where the cows keep those totems.... sick puppies.
    /end rant

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

ha,
    nerf shadow priests, give them an "under clerical investigation" debuff after each attack which stops them from blatantly screwing the next character they come accross, and makes them hide down the country. also disallows them to stand within 20 meters of the children in stormwind. Also randomly god should SMITE them for 20,000,000 damage for being an abomonation to the faith.

love that :D

i dont think they deserve the nerf though...its like giving a child a puppy for christmas and running it over for being too happy, it shouldnt have happened in the firstplace and im sure blizz had a good reason for doing it..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,338 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Now for Hunters and Rogues to get the same treatment. Was thinking of respecing from afflication to destruction, this has made up my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Now for Hunters and Rogues to get the same treatment. Was thinking of respecing from afflication to destruction, this has made up my mind.

i would advise demonlogy. its truely the best grinding and pve spec IMHO.

try 5/41/5 insta corruption / fellguard / improved shadow bolt. i found it to be the best.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Demonology is quite boring in my opinion. I was always a Demo lock, simply cause i like the idea of having strong pets. But its the same thing over and over again. Granted, you survive longer then any other class in the game, but its nowhere near as fun as affliction (havent tried destro).

The dots did need a nerf, but the Demonology tree also got as big nerf (felguard is now worse then the succy apparently), so its going to hurt us alot.

Hunters definatly need a nerf though. They do insane damage, insanely quick...although kitting Mor'Ladim (lvl35 elite) with my lvl21 hunter was great fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

hunters will probably get a nerf during early TBC when the developers realise that giving the new hunter ability Steady Shot no cooldown wasn't the best idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

hurray.jpg

edit: just reading some of the ccomments on that page are just ROFL.. example:
    5. Christ. Get some gear with fear immunity, ignore the pet, and kill the Warlock. Seriously. We have nothing but cloth armor, and the pet is only an asset if it can distract the enemy from killing us first.

Overpowered my ass. Warlocks have their ways of surviving (Fear, DoT), other clases have their own (healing, shields, armor, magic resistance, etc).

Whiners

Fear immunity gear rofl.. and WTF how are you suposed to ignore a felguard charging, whacking you with a big arcanite reaper then when you get sme range again he intercepts you.. Yeah, thats easy to ignore. I'll just ignore hte succubus and go straight for the warlock. Oh no I won't because I'm seduced every 2 ****ing seconds. Voidwalkers and imps are easy to ignore until the vw gets sacrificed and the warlock goes immune to damage for ****nig ages.

Hit the warlocks with another nerf bat please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

DRakE wrote:
    how are you suposed to ignore a felguard charging, whacking you with a big arcanite reaper then when you get sme range again he intercepts you.. Yeah, thats easy to ignore.

intercept is on a 30 second cooldown, i fail to see how you/the warlock survived the 30 seconds.
    I'll just ignore hte succubus and go straight for the warlock. Oh no I won't because I'm seduced every 2 ****ing seconds.

kill the succubus, she has ****e all health. and dots interupt the seduction. if you resist/trinket one effect you will get into the locks deadzone. then you will be lolcoil'd, but that is besides the point.
    Voidwalkers and imps are easy to ignore until the vw gets sacrificed and the warlock goes immune to damage for ****nig ages.

thats at most 1000 dps, and we lose our bloody pet! not even comparable to mana shield, pala bubble etc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

cance wrote:
    thats at most 1000 dps, and we lose our bloody pet! not even comparable to mana shield, pala bubble etc

In fairness, if your Demonology specced, you can Sac the voidwalker for a 2.5k health immunity shield (immunity from damage, not stuns/kick iirc, and can be dispelled), then instant cast another voidwalker and sack it again. Take into account that we have a minimum 4k health, with soul link...thats almost 10k health with 30% damage reduction.

I dont see how they can nerf us without bringing us back to Warlocks of old..ie free honour kill. Start by chaning Deathcoil to a 5 yard range, since its supposed to be a defensive spell.

Either way i'll be playing my Pally in TBC (well, until i get sick of seeing about 2 million new pally's with the switchover)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

DRakE wrote:
    hurray.jpg
    QFMFT :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

DRakE wrote:
    hurray.jpg

Dear Mr Warlock. Cry More Please.

You knew this was coming. You know that more nerfs are coming. Take it like a man.

All the hunters in the corner giggling should be under the same warning.

As to the idiot who said "when you get into the locks 'deadzone'" ahahaha, deadzone? Since when do locks have a minimum range on spells? (On the subject of deathcoil, you know that thats eventually going to get a minimum range dont you? Dont whine when it does).

Locks have enjoyed being completely imba for as long as rogues and shamans did and its about time they got some of the nerfs they needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hahahahahahahahahaha *breath in* hahahahhaahahaahaha

Oh dear, I know I'll always be a wow addict when I see a thread title like this and can't resist posting.

Oh jesus, I've been reading druid changes, I'm so tempted to come back.... arghhhhhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I love it when warlocks get all upset about nerfs, like they're not overpowered. Denial!

:p

hooza for most priest kicks...mass dispel no longer removes stealth and wound poison is 5times stackable,does damage and reduces healing done by 10% each stack....this is hurting my priesty :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

About time. Hopefully this will get the ball rolling and they'll get some more soon enough.
    hooza for most priest kicks...mass dispel no longer removes stealth and wound poison is 5times stackable,does damage and reduces healing done by 10% each stack....this is hurting my priesty
    Yeah, it'll be a bitch, but hardly any rogues these days actually use wound poison, which is the only bright side that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Binomate wrote:
    About time. Hopefully this will get the ball rolling and they'll get some more soon enough.

Yeah, it'll be a bitch, but hardly any rogues these days actually use wound poison, which is the only bright side that I can see.

Yeah they use crippling :( nothing worse than having to strut away from a rogue slice and dicing your ass

yeah but now they will use both....if they dont they deserve to be beaten... and i aint giving out, i can still do a lot of damage in shadow form but its just making me less useful at times that i can just be ripped apart easy in pvp...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Fear immunity gear rofl.. and WTF how are you suposed to ignore a felguard charging, whacking you with a big arcanite reaper then when you get sme range again he intercepts you.. Yeah, thats easy to ignore. I'll just ignore hte succubus and go straight for the warlock. Oh no I won't because I'm seduced every 2 ****ing seconds. Voidwalkers and imps are easy to ignore until the vw gets sacrificed and the warlock goes immune to damage for ****nig ages.
    Hit the warlocks with another nerf bat please

Unfortunately your ignorance of the lock class is why people think we are imba. As long as that continues people will cry nerf yet still suck against locks.
    Locks have massive dead zones, most spells require you to face the target quite rigidly. Getting close (like you would to a hunter, its a pet class thing) and using WoWs lack of hit detection to "stand in" the lock is key. AOEs work well to dmg pets and locks at same time, not so much vs Felguard (remember SL Pet takes way more dmg than normal). I dont see these minor changes as affecting ownage in PVP myself. :p

Matt

PS: The Felguard "nerf" was already in the live servers, the only major change coming is the alteration of the BWL Trinket (Black Book), instead of boosting Pet dmg by 100% for 30secs, it boosts it by a piss poor static amount instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Matt Simis wrote:
    Unfortunately your ignorance of the lock class is why people think we are imba....
    Locks have massive dead zones, most spells require you to face the target quite rigidly. Getting close (like you would to a hunter, its a pet class thing) and using WoWs lack of hit detection to "stand in" the lock is key. .

Unfortunatly your ignorance of the GAME is why people laugh at locks who say "were not imba".

Locks do not have dead zones. ALL CASTERS must face their target to cast spells at them. Locks are not alone in this. In fact, if youd spend 10 minutes playing another class youd realise that ALL chars must be facing their targets to damage them (aoe aside). Do you think people run around in pvp to keep fit?

Its not a pet class thing. The reason a hunters deadzone is so called is because once you get to within a certain distance, they cannot use ranged attacks and must either melee or gain range. Casters do not have this problem

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Dustaz wrote:
    Unfortunatly your ignorance of the GAME is why people laugh at locks who say "were not imba".
    /QUOTE]

I'm going to have to agree. Wow is supposed to be like all games, a balance of rock/paper/scissors. Rouges gank casters, casters gank plate wearers, plate wearers gank rouges, with some hybrid mixs in between. But in Wow its Warlock>All, your a high damage caster with a consistent crowd control in pvp(fear/pet) and pve(pet). There is nothing in the game that can win 1v1 versus a warlock with some brains.

This has turned into the biggest whine I have ever seen on the Wow forums, FFS its a nerf to warlocks with +500 damage gear. Its not 10% overall, but 10% to plus damage gear, so the more you have the more you lose. At least I am certain that when the hunter nerf comes(and it will) they will take it with a bit more grace then the whiny locks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Matt Simis wrote:
    Unfortunately your ignorance of the lock class is why people think we are imba. As long as that continues people will cry nerf yet still suck against locks.
    Locks have massive dead zones, most spells require you to face the target quite rigidly. Getting close (like you would to a hunter, its a pet class thing) and using WoWs lack of hit detection to "stand in" the lock is key. AOEs work well to dmg pets and locks at same time, not so much vs Felguard (remember SL Pet takes way more dmg than normal). I dont see these minor changes as affecting ownage in PVP myself.

Matt

PS: The Felguard "nerf" was already in the live servers, the only major change coming is the alteration of the BWL Trinket (Black Book), instead of boosting Pet dmg by 100% for 30secs, it boosts it by a piss poor static amount instead.
    Thats the biggest load of crap I've ever heard.

Deathcoil, fear, get your dots on, pet attacks, fear, more dots, opponent dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

As a level 60 lock on a PVP server i have to admit that i was major pissed off when i heard about the nerf.. BUT

in all fairness i do think we needed one, i have fought 3 level 60's at a time and killed them all with out any problems, i and demo specc btw, i have just under 6000 health and mana un buffed.

i was playing again last night and i have to admin not noticing a huge difference in DOT damage, but the Felguard totally sucks now.

I think what pissed me off most is that we did not get a free talent repect this patch, Rogues and Druids i believe because of major changes.

I would think that a 10% DOT nerf, Felguard nerf (He hits for about 140 now, used to hit for about 270), Soul link nerf(now only takes 20% damage), and ShadowFury buff( i think thats what its called, cooldown was reduced from 1min to 20secs) count as major talent changed no? these are all top level talents

Dustaz wrote:

Locks do not have dead zones. ALL CASTERS must face their target to cast spells at them. Locks are not alone in this. In fact, if youd spend 10 minutes playing another class youd realise that ALL chars must be facing their targets to damage them (aoe aside). Do you think people run around in pvp to keep fit?

Its not a pet class thing. The reason a hunters deadzone is so called is because once you get to within a certain distance, they cannot use ranged attacks and must either melee or gain range. Casters do not have this problem

Way to totally use my own words against me, how clever.. :rolleyes:

I have a Hunter too, Ive played a Mage. I never said Locks exclusively have dead zones. I also never said Dead Zones were a pet class issue, I merely compared fighting a Hunter and Warlock. Honestly, take the time to read and absorb before virtually foaming at the keyboard.

What you fail to appreciate and in turn exploit is that unlike say, Mages, Locks have far fewer instant cast Direct Damage spells. Infact, currently all Felguard-Demo locks have 1, one instant cast Direct Damage spell on a 2min timer (Deathcoil). They are entirely reliant on their Pet and singular instant cast DOT to kill you unless they attack at safe distance or without you noticing, at which point you are at a significant disadvantage regardless.

I have to fight plenty of Warlocks too and Warlocks by design can exploit weaknesses in their class better than anyone (except being Stunlocked by a rogue), so I think that combined with (primarily) playing a lock since launch and fighting them you can believe me when I say annoying as they are, they are just as beatable as any other class. What likely screws other people up is that the 3 Lock Talent builds play entirely differently.

I stick by it, even today most classes do incredibly stupid things against Warlocks.. couple of weeks ago a well geared Mage tried to stop me interupting him capping a Flag in AB by Sheeping me... with my Felhunter out. FH attacks him, dispells the Sheep... he sheeps me 2 more times and continues trying to cap flag, surprised everytime I get out of sheep so fast. Then there are the Druids that root and Moonfire, the Mages that Frost Nova me for no apparent reason or gain, the Pallies that bubble to clear 2 dots then run around in circles, unbelievable stupidity exists in WoW PVP.

Not accounting for player skill, Ive done as well in PVP over 1yr ago as I do now, before Deathcoil and nerf crying, when people used to compare Locks to "retarded mages".

Binomate wrote:
    Thats the biggest load of crap I've ever heard.

Deathcoil, fear, get your dots on, pet attacks, fear, more dots, opponent dead.

Why praytell would I want to reset the timers on my Dots (ie COA does a lot less dmg when just cast, Immolate isnt mana efficient that way) right after casting them? Fear is breakable by anyclass (talents, trinkets etc), also on DOT dmg and very much so on Pet melee attacks.

Opening with Deathcoil is retarded as the Lock is now defenseless for 2min.. unless of course you are proposing Locks "totally own" 1 person every 2 min?

Following up DC with a fear is again pointless (use the time to dmg, not fear a feared opponent). All you have proven is you dont know how to manage Locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

The reason a hunters deadzone is so called is because once you get to within a certain distance, they cannot use ranged attacks and must either melee or gain range.

Its exactly not that either :p The dead zone is the area between 5yrs and 10yrds where they CANT melee OR shoot. If you get there, there is nothing they can do bar send their pet on you. Thats why its called the DEAD zone.

Since when are mana effecient spells ever used in PvP? Its kill as quickly as you can then drink/eat. Saying immolates not mana effecient in pvp is kinda silly no?

All the nerf did was lower your dot dmg by approx 10% (or more accurately, you no longer get 100% of your spellpower on dots) and lowered felguard dps. I dont see whats changed for warlocks otherwise. You still have to throw your dots and shadowbolt as before (except that it takes slightly longer to kill your target whcih means 10% more time needed to survive if you only use dots) and survive. If you can survive vs two then you can easily survive vs one with 10% less dot damage.

As was said in this thread, i've seen locks take on 2 or 3 people and win easily, or if not winning at least stay alive long enough that both are very low hp and then die after lock is dead if not ooc fast enough. I have no sympathy for this nerf, at least you haven't been nerfed every patch for the last year like my poor ickle warrior.

Depending on the lock in pvp I would have said,

dot-dot-fear-fear(incase of trinket)-shadow bolt-dot-dot-fear-shadow bolt dead.

Obviously instant cast howl of terror-deathcoil-intercept(felguard)-seduce would all be used if neccesary.

I'm a shadow priest, twinked to **** at 39(by accident) and I ****ing hate warlocks. Saying I can beat them if I play my cards right is a ****ing joke. You would want to be a retarded 4 year old with 2 working fingers and a bad eye to ever have any problem's in pvp, and having a tank in pve is something I would sleep with the developers for.

And yes I know I have a bubble, its amazing how handy a bubble with a 15 second timer that can be one-shotted away by most people or creatures my level is. And the instant cast fear with the 30 second cooldown as well.

Complaing that you were nerfed because mages and other class's dont know how to play against warlocks isn't a valid argument. Even when they know how to play against you they still get beaten. And its not a nerf, it's a slight damage reduction on dots, and removing a pet the equivalant of a green spec'd warrior for demonoligist's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Matt Simis wrote:
    They are entirely reliant on their Pet and singular instant cast DOT to kill you unless they attack at safe distance or without you noticing

Wow. That's BS.

Matt Simis wrote:
    Warlocks by design can exploit weaknesses in their class better than anyone

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! Wow! Thats BS!

Matt Simis wrote:
    they are just as beatable as any other class.

Yup. BS.

Matt Simis wrote:
    What likely screws other people up is that the 3 Lock Talent builds play entirely differently

Pure unadulterated BS. Fear is trainable.

Matt Simis wrote:
    unbelievable stupidity exists in WoW PVP.

You don't say ...

{edit}Oh ... 5 1/2 years for 1000 posts ... {/edit}

B-K-DzR wrote:
    All the nerf did was lower your dot dmg by approx 10% (or more accurately, you no longer get 100% of your spellpower on dots)

As far as I can tell, warlocks were on 120% of +spell damage being applied, this was reduced by 10%.

krazy_8s wrote:
    As far as I can tell, warlocks were on 120% of +spell damage being applied, this was reduced by 10%.

Again, is anyone reading (including the "bs" guy, not worth wasting time on that one) or is the "Warlock = bad/unskilled/godmode/unbeatable/etc" mentality so ingrained?

Firstly the (affliction tree) damage reduction is effectively reducing spell damage bonus to under 100%, making it the only DOT in the game to operate like this. To get this back to untalented 2.01 levels requires about 5 talent points to be spent.

However, Im not the original poster, I clearly said I didnt care about this change, its largely insignificant. My point was that people dont know how to combat Locks. The replies to this thread alone not only prove this, but also show people are willing to actually read posts, just skim and try to think up witty replies.

Goto to official US and Euro Lock forums and exploit everything they complain about. Everytime I have issue with a class, I do this, its really easy to screw a Lock over just as much as anyone else.

Matt

Dont forget the Op was proud to post up the how to kill a soul linked warlock guide. Moany git admitted many times he was a overpowered class. Then he winges when it gets reduced a little.
    Matt Sims wrote:
    Goto to official US and Euro Lock forums and exploit everything they complain about. Everytime I have issue with a class, I do this, its really easy to screw a Lock over just as much as anyone else.

Dont forget I came from Css, complaining is ingrained. Damm n00bs.

I saw a video of a affliction warlock and a holy priest in the Bc betas. He was able to run round in circles putting dots on everything that moved in a high respawn area, and with life taps, and heals from the priest he was able to pull down thousands of xp with little trouble. I think this was one of the reasons why the dots got nerfed a little.
    Matt Simms wrote:
    My point was that people dont know how to combat Locks

Of course I know how to take down a warlock, roll a rouge:rolleyes: .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I have a 60 warlock, I can lose against all classes at any given moment. Warlocks are just fine. Stop nerfing us, I didn't level to 60 for you all to moan and nerf my character!

Advertisement