Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Watch out M3/RS4 - the Japs are on the hunt again!

Options
  • 09-01-2007 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

2008 Lexus IS-F.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2007/01/08/2008-lexus-is-f/

One thing i noted was "world’s first eight-speed "direct sport-shift" transmission." - if the Germans had come up with this everyone would be going on about it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Watch out M3/RS4? I doubt it, but we'll see when it comes out
    DukeDredd wrote:
    if the Germans had come up with this everyone would be going on about it!

The Germans did come up with it. That's why Toyota will pay them a license fee for the use of that tiptronic box

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

unkel wrote:
    The Germans did come up with it. That's why Toyota will pay them a license fee for the use of that tiptronic box

I see our resident Jap basher is quick on the ball today! :D

It was the worlds first bit that's throwing me here - are you referring to the CVT box in VW's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

:eek: droooooool , that is absolutely gorgeous!

DukeDredd wrote:
    are you referring to the CVT box in VW's?

No, I'm referring to the Porsche Tiptronic gearbox. Toyota/Lexus is already paying license fees to Porsche for using the technology in those "direct shift" boxes. BTW the CVT box is a Dutch invention ;)

Just realised that the Lexus doesn't come in a manual version. Big mistake if you want to compete against RS4/M3. I'm a big fan of tiptronic autos myself, but most people buying those cars want manuals...

I predict the 2008 Lexus IS-F is going to be a commercial flop in Europe, although the Americans might like it. What do they know, hey? ;)

DukeDredd wrote:
    I see our resident Jap basher is quick on the ball today! :D

So far I was being objective, but I can do subjective too: it's ugly! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

As the Americans say - 'Ricer'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Agh!
    Those Pipes! That bodykit! It looks like they finished the important bits, and added the body styling as an afterthought. By an intern. Who's just completed Need For Speed: Carbon.
    The profile looks like someone's photo chopped it. I'd love to see a more restrained "IS500" version, a wolf in sheep's clothing. I bet it'll sell by the bucket in the States, though. We'll also probably see the smaller engined ISs being clad in this kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

2 Espressi wrote:
    Agh!
    Those Pipes! That bodykit! It looks like they finished the important bits, and added the body styling as an afterthought. By an intern. Who's just completed Need For Speed: Carbon.
    The profile looks like someone's photo chopped it. I'd love to see a more restrained "IS500" version, a wolf in sheep's clothing. I bet it'll sell by the bucket in the States, though. We'll also probably see the smaller engined ISs being clad in this kit.

I have ...and speaking of Need For Speed ... I find it interesting that in "NFS most wanted" which was released in 2005, it featured the old style Lexus IS , and one of the fictional, imaginary bodykits in the game looks exactly the same as this new IS-f with the twin vertical exhaust pipes. I bet you lexus saw it in that in the game and ripped it off!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

It does nowt for me tbh. 4/10 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

that car says skanger to me already.
    This is not as much subtle M car as ott street racer.
    I doubt the m3 or rs4 will even register its existance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the body kit is naff but I'm more interested in what is under the bonnet. 400bhp sounds interesting.

It never fails to amuse me though how anyone can determin how good or bad a car is just by looking at a photo. That and the fact if it isn't one of the big three then there is no way it could ever be good.

If I remember correctly it was only a few years ago that the Audi/VAG RS cars were considered inferior to the BMW M cars. They seem to have caught up these days or at least are edging closer. So it will only be a matter of time before Lexus do the same. Maybe if they relocate to Germany they may get a bit more respect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

I personally rate Honda just as highly as Lexus for many reasons. When it comes down to it at this stage anyone here can only speculate on the looks, although as Unkel points out if there is no manual, it is a poor start when comparing to the RS4 or M3. I don't like the looks, I don't like the looks of the Merc 'Ocean Drive' concept either, which, shock horror, is German.
    From what I read, only the RS4 from the VAG group holds a candle to the established leader in it's class, the other warmed over cars in the range don't cut it. Either way, the best super-saloons are currently all German, although I have a soft spot for the Quattroporte.

If I had the cash I'd as happily buy an NSX as a 911....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

she's a beauty alright how much would it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Jap performance cars are an acquired taste.

I don't think I have acquired it yet!

The European cars, be they BMWs, Audis, AMGs or whatever just seem so much classier and refined.

Advertisement