Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

stadium noise question

• 09-01-2007 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Does anyone know what causes the drone during matches played in places like Russia and Ukraine?

Here's a link to a Dynamo Kiev game, the sound I'm talking about is most prominent straight after the goal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o4XJByfO8M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

a question which i have often wondered in the past

an answer would be super

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Why not ask The Knowledge?

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Always thought it was some sort of a horn myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Just a stab in the dark but is it the noise from the fans knocking around a mostly empty stadium.

Those commies built massive stadia back in the day. Are they always full?

Nah, the noise the OP is on about isn't like that.

It's like a low pitched continuous hum, or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

gosplan wrote:
    Just a stab in the dark but is it the noise from the fans knocking around a mostly empty stadium.

Those commies built massive stadia back in the day. Are they always full?

The commies and eastern europeans always seem to have great atmospheres.

The greeks are nuts aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I hate the sounds from spanish matches. the constant air horn that seems to go off and the "whooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" sound when a goal is scored. Its just annoyin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Always thought it was some sort of a horn myself.

It is actually.

The noise was something I always remembered from Sportsnight's and Midweek Sports Special's coverage of British clubs' European games in the USSR and East Germany in the early 80s.

They sell these horn type things outside the grounds and all sorts of fans buy them, they're not just used by ultras. In fact I can't recall seeing any ultras with them....

Did you actually ask them, or is this some mad co-incidence? :eek:

This week's knowledge

It's the second question for next week. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

seansouth wrote:
    Did you actually ask them, or is this some mad co-incidence? :eek:

This week's knowledge

It's the second question for next week. :D

Ha, I did indeed! I've sent in one or two questions before and never seen them get a mention so I wasn't expecting to see that at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

Here's the answer from The Knowledge, it's Zebra3's answer with a bit more detail.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/theknowledge/story/0,,1996808,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

evad_lhorg wrote:
    I hate the sounds from spanish matches. the constant air horn that seems to go off and the "whooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" sound when a goal is scored. Its just annoyin

just about to post that i love the sound when a spanish team scores!!!!!
    then i saw your post.
    different strokes i guess :)

Advertisement