Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL Filter/Splitter

Options
  • 09-01-2007 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

I've been without a filter for about 3 weeks now and have to just put the broadband cable directly into the socket when needed. This means any time I get a phone call my internet dies for a few minutes (I assume this is why we use a filter?). I bought a filter from Ebay but it was an English version. Peats finally got them in on Friday. I put it in. Connected the phone and DSL into the correct lines. The phone worked fine but the Internet didn't work.

What could be the reason for that?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

Do you have another phone socket in the house? If so place filters on all your phone sockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Do you have another phone socket in the house? If so place filters on all your phone sockets.
    No I only have to one socket.

I'm with BT. The cable from the router to the phone socket has 4 "pins" on it. The cable from the phone to the socket has 2 pins on it. The ADSL filter has 2 pins for the phone connection and 4 for the ADSL. The filter seems fine to me but for some reason it's not working.

This is the one:
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/test_new/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=9595

Do BT use special filters? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

ok, get a 2-port adapter ( nto a filter but just a little adapter to make one telephone port into 2 ports ), now plug your modem directly into one port, and plug the filter into the other port. now plug your phone into the 'phone' port of the filter

JNive wrote:
    ok, get a 2-port adapter ( nto a filter but just a little adapter to make one telephone port into 2 ports ), now plug your modem directly into one port, and plug the filter into the other port. now plug your phone into the 'phone' port of the filter
    It works, thanks a lot! Any idea why it wouldn't work without the adapter?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

id imagine the adapter has dodgy wiring or perhaps a bridging of part of the two ports.

• Advertisement

Problems again.

When I attached the adapter I tested it by phoning the house and it was fine, the internet was still working. I noticed that tonight my internet was still being interrupted quite a bit and switching off and on the router was the quickest way of getting the connection back. I phoned the house again and left the phone off the hook. The internet connection went. Basically, I might aswell just have the phone and internet directly into the ordinary adapter as the filter doesn't change anything.

I actually think the socket may be broken. It's not holding the cables in properly and they can be pulled out without pressing the clip down. Even though the phone and internet are working, could a dodgy socket cause the problems I have? Do BT have technicians to fix them?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 juice79

eirebhoy wrote:
    could a dodgy socket cause the problems I have? Do BT have technicians to fix them?

Yes it could & No they don't

Thanks. Stupid question but who do I get to fix it now that I'm not with Eircom? :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Your best bet might to try and get someone to do a nixer for you?

Advertisement