Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Right price tile ads? who did it?

• 09-01-2007 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi
    You know the deadly right priced tile ads with dave and the monkey? who did it?
    Monkey! why aren't you in uniform?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

God. I now refuse on principle to ever buy anything from Right Price Tiles as a result of those Daft Dave ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I think those ads are brilliant. Not many share my enthusiasm however.

I find the Harvey Norman and Eurocycle/Eurobaby ads really annoying.

These are really good though.

"I want a skip. I want a skip full of ice cream."
    "What's that for Dave?"
    "We're making the world's biggest sundae."

That was an ad for a sunday sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

Has anybody noticed that daft Dave sounds like Vincent Browne!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Monkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

They were made by a relatively new agency called The Hive. Take a look at the creative work on the site, as they have the Right Price radio ads on there and some nice stuff for Rabo Direct as well.

http://www.thehive.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭REDZ

Thanks Ducksoup
    I will check them out post haste.
    James

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

The TV ad is a RIPOFF!!!

The character Daft Dave is portraited using a silhouette of the main character from MAD Magazine - I already sent an email to the editor with the details for The Hive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Mario Rosenstock (Gift Grub) is the voice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Branoic wrote:
    God. I now refuse on principle to ever buy anything from Right Price Tiles as a result of those Daft Dave ads.

I agree. I feel like contacting them saying they must not have anything worth buying since there is ALWAYS a sale on. Daft Dave being such ana annoying character doesn't help either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

Branoic wrote:

Amusing how people decide to never buy from them becasue their ads are annoying. (I'm not getting at you Brainoc, I do it myself). The most important thing is that people remember your name. But for all that's holy, back up your campaigns with a point of reference.

Imagine the scene

"We need tiles, where will we go?"
    "Lets check out that Dopey Dan ... eh ... mad Mike ... eh ... whathisname ... MONKEY fellah"

"Yeah, yeah, come on I think they've a branch on Long Mile Road."

"Are you sure thats them?"

Looks in the Golden Pages.

Page 1604 TILES

"TILE MARKET. Kylemore Rd, that'll do."

BTW, the display ad for Right Price Tiles to back up their very entertaining / annoying radio ads in the 01 Golden Pages is on page ... hmmm. Looks like somebody f*ucked up.

BTW, aren't they breaking some law by always having a sale on?

• Advertisement

DubTony wrote:
    BTW, aren't they breaking some law by always having a sale on?

I'd almost say you were an employee. While its not against the law to always have a sale on it does not bolster confidence in their products. Let's face reality if a store is always liquidating [their words not mine] their inventory that seems to be a bad sign. Every Monday Daft Dave is on saying the sale is being extended and the products are now over 50% off a prospective buyer can go from "Great I thought I missed their sale and would have to wait months for another one" to "God their products must be crap if they have to have a sale on every week."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

6th wrote:
    The TV ad is a RIPOFF!!!

The character Daft Dave is portraited using a silhouette of the main character from MAD Magazine - I already sent an email to the editor with the details for The Hive.
    Thats the first thing I thought as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

JohnMc1 wrote:
    I'd almost say you were an employee.

:confused::confused: Can't understand why?

Anyway, the reason I asked about breaking the law by always having a sale, is that there is a law in the UK that states that any products listed for sale must have been sold at a higher price in a percentage of branches for a specific period of time. IIRC it was introduced in the late 80s / early 90s when the Office of Fair Trading received a lot of complaints about big companies sticking SALE tags on products but never actually reducing the price. The OFT investigated and the law was put in place. I just thought that maybe there was a similar law here.

DubTony wrote:
    :confused::confused: Can't understand why?

Anyway, the reason I asked about breaking the law by always having a sale, is that there is a law in the UK that states that any products listed for sale must have been sold at a higher price in a percentage of branches for a specific period of time. IIRC it was introduced in the late 80s / early 90s when the Office of Fair Trading received a lot of complaints about big companies sticking SALE tags on products but never actually reducing the price. The OFT investigated and the law was put in place. I just thought that maybe there was a similar law here.

Sorry. The way you had the question about it being against the law it was almost like you were being snide or sarcastic. I was born in the US so I can't yell you if its illegal or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

jhegarty wrote:
    Monkey

No no no no ... it's ...

Muuung-kay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 lbourkey

what about that ad for cold sore cream that was filmed in somebody's flat! Shocking! Really bad script/acting/camera work!!! Shoe-string? Yer havin a laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭information

lbourkey wrote:
    what about that ad for cold sore cream that was filmed in somebody's flat! Shocking! Really bad script/acting/camera work!!! Shoe-string? Yer havin a laugh
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054983561
    post 11

Have you done anything better that you want to share ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

6th wrote:
    The TV ad is a RIPOFF!!!

Image0241.jpg

daftdaveripoff.jpg

These ads were designed by The Hive ... rip-off fcukers.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭tonyagrey

The ads are run to create awarness around the brand, and i think it is fair to say from the amount of comments and discussions about the "dam monkey" that the objective has been achieved! When the ads are off the airwaves in 6n months time you will no longer be annoyed by the ads but will still remember "Right Price Tiles"

Tony

tonyagrey wrote: »
    The ads are run to create awarness around the brand, and i think it is fair to say from the amount of comments and discussions about the "dam monkey" that the objective has been achieved! When the ads are off the airwaves in 6n months time you will no longer be annoyed by the ads but will still remember "Right Price Tiles"

Tony

They made me aware that they nothing but garbage since they they have to run a sale from one end of the year to the other [The Half price sale from January is still going on.] If they have to have a sale on that long they must be selling complete and total ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭antog86

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    They made me aware that they nothing but garbage since they they have to run a sale from one end of the year to the other [The Half price sale from January is still going on.] If they have to have a sale on that long they must be selling complete and total ****.

I dont know what they are selling as i have never had a need to visit the place. However if i was to buy tiles in the morning i would go to RPT just to see what they have available.
    Have you been there? Or are you just being snobbish?

antog86 wrote: »
    I dont know what they are selling as i have never had a need to visit the place. However if i was to buy tiles in the morning i would go to RPT just to see what they have available.
    Have you been there? Or are you just being snobbish?

If you want to buy crap go ahead. If a store has to have a sale from one end of the year to the other there is something wrong somewhere. If the products were good they would sell themselves. Obviously RPT's products aren't that good.

If you want to buy crap go ahead. If a store has to have a sale from one end of the year to the other there is something wrong somewhere. If the products were good they would sell themselves. Obviously RPT's products aren't that good.

Sorry to tell you, but no product in the world sells itself. Thats why you see Coke,Nike,Heineken,addidas,ben&jerrys all spending over E300 million euro a year on marketing and avdertising. Products dont sell themselves, MARKETING does. Just because the price of all cars in a garage falls after 6 months on the forcourt doesnt mean that the are cra*, it just means that they have been unable to shift them and need to come upi with a new way of doing so. Almost all products are on sale at some stage!

Sorry to tell you, but no product in the world sells itself. Thats why you see Coke,Nike,Heineken,addidas,ben&jerrys all spending over E300 million euro a year on marketing and avdertising. Products dont sell themselves, MARKETING does. Just because the price of all cars in a garage falls after 6 months on the forcourt doesnt mean that the are cra*, it just means that they have been unable to shift them and need to come upi with a new way of doing so. Almost all products are on sale at some stage!

While you are correct about advertising and marketing you are wrong in thinking a year long sale bolsters confidence. RPT obviously has the right to advertise their product but when a sale is extended for 10 months there is an issue. There advertising firm is failing them and making them seem like horrible shop with horrible merchandise. Like an overglorifed euro chop.

While you are correct about advertising and marketing you are worng in thinking a year long sale bolsters confidence. RPT obviously had the advertise their product but when a sale is extended for 10 months there is an issue. There advertising firm is failing them and making them seem like horrible shop with horrible merchandise. Like an overglorifed euro chop.

You are right to an extent. But what you are not factoring in is that in the ads "Dave" says that this is new stock. Therefore it is not the same sale going on for the last 10 months as it has been new stock!

You are right to an extent. But what you are not factoring in is that in the ads "Dave" says that this is new stock. Therefore it is not the same sale going on for the last 10 months as it has been new stock!

The ads that run hear every Monday are they are liquidating their stock and everything is half off [again]. Which is advertising slang for "We can't move this stuff." I only hear the radio ads since I'm not home alot to watch so I'm not sure if the tv ads tell a whole different story.

The ads that run hear every Monday are they are liquidating their stock and everything is half off [again]. Which is advertising slang for "We can't move this stuff." I only hear the radio ads since I'm not home alot to watch so I'm not sure if the tv ads tell a whole different story.

Never saw the TV ad myself (is there one?). Like i said it is different stock. They have new stock every month. As i said almost all products go on sale at some stage.

Advertisement