Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheres the unemployment figures gone?

Options
  • 09-01-2007 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

have been searching the web for information on jobs etc but have noticed that the unemployment figures statistics seem to have stopped being made public.

The last thing I can find anywhere is from September 2006 where the CNS state that whilst people claiming Job seekers allowance has dropped slightly, the number of people out of work has increased!

However I can find no statistics for then after. This is quite intreasting for several reasons.

October to January is retails busiest time of year with Haloween, Christmas and January sales. Normally in retail employers seek extra employees to help with the increase in retail sales during this busy period. Economically there is a temporary drop in unemployment during this period because of all these temporary jobs created. In past years these jobs have been given to students etc.

However I would be intreasted to know what has happened this year due to the massive influx of migration. 1, has this been the first year on record that unemployment hasnt dropped over the Christmas period?, and 2 the rules of claiming State benefits is that migrants must have worked before they are allowed to claim state help. Now if this is the case that means migrants will be able to claim state benefits from the end of there employment despite the fact they have only worked in the country for a a few months. Thus also increasing the unemployment figures.

Because the statistics seem to only go to September I am quite puzzled as to why! Or are the Goverment afraid of telling us the Yes Unemployment has risen again due to mass immigration!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

have been searching the web for information on jobs etc but have noticed that the unemployment figures statistics seem to have stopped being made public.

The last thing I can find anywhere is from September 2006 where the CNS state that whilst people claiming Job seekers allowance has dropped slightly, the number of people out of work has increased!

However I can find no statistics for then after. This is quite intreasting for several reasons.

October to January is retails busiest time of year with Haloween, Christmas and January sales. Normally in retail employers seek extra employees to help with the increase in retail sales during this busy period. Economically there is a temporary drop in unemployment during this period because of all these temporary jobs created. In past years these jobs have been given to students etc.

However I would be intreasted to know what has happened this year due to the massive influx of migration. 1, has this been the first year on record that unemployment hasnt dropped over the Christmas period?, and 2 the rules of claiming State benefits is that migrants must have worked before they are allowed to claim state help. Now if this is the case that means migrants will be able to claim state benefits from the end of there employment despite the fact they have only worked in the country for a a few months. Thus also increasing the unemployment figures.

Because the statistics seem to only go to September I am quite puzzled as to why! Or are the Goverment afraid of telling us the Yes Unemployment has risen again due to mass immigration!

Are you trying to make an argument about the way Gov. publish info or are you trying to make a point on immigration, the latter I suspect.

I'd also asseume that the numbers for unemployment for Sept - Dec are not yet availabe so if it's what you are really after hang tight for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Smells a lot like an anti-immigration thread.

From a quick google I can get.

2006 figures Ireland. (Eurostat, the Statistical Office of the European Commission.)
    March = 4.2%
    November = 4.2%

I can find a newspaper article (English Sunday Times) that says 4.4% but doesn't mention its source for the figure at all.

Other figures..
    2005 4.3%
    1996 11%

I'm sure you could find more if you bothered to look.

In answer to your migration question it looks like that unemployment went down despite the influx.

I think the only real threat to the figures is the housing industry (which is covered in a different thread).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 irishlordknight

Im Looking for the figures for December 2006. Hobbes the figure you quote for November are unchanged from October. Which does suggest that immigration in this cuntry is having a bad effect. THe Normality for November figures would show immigration normally lowering at this time of year. But the figures you state show no difference.

And My other point is that for any migrant to claim state benefits they must have first worked. This then suggest that any migrant working as a Christmas temp in retail will in January of this year be able to claim state benefits. Thus also increasing the unemployment figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'm sure you said you wouldn't post here again. Oh wait here we go.
    but Like I have stated, I no longer will use these boards because of reasons stated above!

As stated in this thread http://82.195.136.250/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52335933. Looks like you aren't a man of your word.

Its too early for Unemployment figures for December to be published. Why don't you wait until they are published and then attempt to come back with your arguement properly formulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Im Looking for the figures for December 2006. Hobbes the figure you quote for November are unchanged from October.

Well that was 5 seconds google. How about you do some research before asking as you would find they aren't released yet. Even so you can take a reasonable guess of the figures by looking at the figures up to that point.

And My other point is that for any migrant to claim state benefits they must have first worked. This then suggest that any migrant working as a Christmas temp in retail will in January of this year be able to claim state benefits. Thus also increasing the unemployment figures.

It isn't as easy as you make it out to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Now if this is the case that means migrants will be able to claim state benefits from the end of there employment despite the fact they have only worked in the country for a a few months. Thus also increasing the unemployment figures.

You have to pay into PAYE for two years before earning unemployment and you have to be available for work...which means that you have to have a work permit...which you don't have if you don't have a job...which means you can't claim essentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What is the CNS? Did you copy and paste this from somewhere else? Some other country?

If you couldn't find it, why didn't you e-mail the CSO or the Department of Social Welfare?
    The Live Register figures are published by the CSO, on the first Friday of every month at 11am by the CSO.
    http://www.cso.ie/newsevents/weekly_release_calendar.htm
    Friday 12th January Live Register, December 2006
    I can only assume there was a conspiracy running over the new year to delay the December figures, which you will soon (Friday!!!) find here: http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/labour_market/current/lreg.pdf
    the CNS state that whilst people claiming Job seekers allowance has dropped slightly, the number of people out of work has increased!
    Perfectly normal, if you actually read the reports, they say:
    The Live Register is not designed to measure unemployment. It includes part-time workers (those who work up to three days a week), seasonal and casual workers entitled to Jobseekers Benefit or Assistance. Unemployment is measured by the Quarterly National Household Survey and the latest seasonally adjusted figure, for June to August 2006, is 96,500 persons unemployed.
    Im Looking for the figures for December 2006. Hobbes the figure you quote for November are unchanged from October.
    I can't see this, but unemployment is only measured 4 times a year and estimated for the rest of the year.
    Which does suggest that immigration in this cuntry is having a bad effect.
    Does it, please explain in not less than 50 words.
    THe Normality for November figures would show immigration normally lowering at this time of year.
    I'm not sure, but I suspect immigration only gets measured quarterly (in the QNHS) or annually.
    And My other point is that for any migrant to claim state benefits they must have first worked.
    Essentially yes, for 2 years.
    This then suggest that any migrant working as a Christmas temp in retail will in January of this year be able to claim state benefits.
    Only if they are here 2 years and unemployed and fulfilling the DSW's requirements. Its OK, scrounging niggers just off the boat from Africa, won't be getting the dole.
    Thus also increasing the unemployment figures.
    No, once more unemployment figures and the live register are quite different and have been for close to 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In less than 12 hours they came back to me by e-mail with the new calendar http://www.cso.ie/newsevents/fourmonthcalendar.htm

Why didn't you e-mail them?

Looks like he has decided to not post again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

for ****s sake can you blame him, grow the **** up you lot. youve been around long enough to know you attack the post not the poster yet here you are making snide remarks and innuendo.

newsflash, not everybody thinks like you do but it doesnt invalidate their argument. christ its no wonder the post rate's fallen in this forum:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

newsflash, not everybody thinks like you do but it doesnt invalidate their argument.
    By the same token, having a contrarian viewpoint doesn't necessarily lend any validity to an argument. Some posters work hard at earning the snide innuendo they receive here.
    christ its no wonder the post rate's fallen in this forum:rolleyes:
    I hadn't noticed. Even if it were the case, I'd rather have a smaller number of well thought out posts than a spammy torrent of incoherent rants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

really? i thought the idea was to have honest debate on issues. not establish a conformist clique of sycophants who run people they don't like off the forum

Is it a ban you are looking for?
    Grand so
    Have a month off,this not being your first outburst.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

really? i thought the idea was to have honest debate on issues. not establish a conformist clique of sycophants who run people they don't like off the forum
    Coherent debate. Or I'd prefer coherent discussion. Honesty is optional.

Sycophancy discussion belongs in Feedback, repeatedly raising that here is just trolling. Especially when I've mentioned more than once that I'm not anti-anything discussionwise apart from anti-stupidity. I'm sure the Feedback thread will be interesting.

Closing this thread as the OP is unable to argue his points. Which tbh was expected.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement