Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone play Star Wars Galaxies?

Options
  • 09-01-2007 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone is still playing this. I got it when it first came out and although I enjoyed, I didn't play it that much as my internet connection was crap.

But I saw it for sale for about €30 with all it's expansions and was wondering what it's like. I've read a few forums where people go on about how bad it is without actually saying what's wrong with it. In fact, the only thing that they really go on about is the combat system which was changed. I must of been the only one who hated the original system (as I do all MMORPG combat systems) so the change seems like a good thing for me :)

I'll probably download the trial tongiht to see, but anyone else have any experience with it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

humanji wrote:
    I was wondering if anyone is still playing this. I got it when it first came out and although I enjoyed, I didn't play it that much as my internet connection was crap.

But I saw it for sale for about €30 with all it's expansions and was wondering what it's like. I've read a few forums where people go on about how bad it is without actually saying what's wrong with it. In fact, the only thing that they really go on about is the combat system which was changed. I must of been the only one who hated the original system (as I do all MMORPG combat systems) so the change seems like a good thing for me :)

I'll probably download the trial tongiht to see, but anyone else have any experience with it?

I played it for a while cause I'm a big Star Wars fan, but it's really not that good, hard to explain why really. I think the guys who got the license see it as a great way to cash in on Star Wars, they don't really seem to know what they want the game to be. Star Wars is a hard place for mmorpg, because it's all about lasers etc, and they seem to be afraid of letting people have to work for anything, everyhting is handed on a plate to you. They saw Wow and thought that would be good for our game.

SWG isn't terrible but the only reason I played it was because it was Star Wars, that wears off after a while. I use to play Final Fantasy XI which is ridiculously casual gamer unfriendly, unless you have 4 or 5 hours to play forget about it (I've waitetd that length of time for a party).

World of Warcraft is without doubt the best game of it's type, you can play for 20 minutes and get loads done or spend 4-5 Hours on a quest. It has perfect balance in everything. I resisted buying it for ages cause I thought it would be too easy cause Americans are scared off if they don't get everything straight away, but then I saw a 14-Day trial disk for €2 and thought they must be confident in their product to offer that as well as a 10-day trial download. Wow also has a few books and comics you can read also.

Star Wars should of been the best, but they listen too much to consumer research, and it just seems that the accountants have as much say in the game as the designers and programmers. World of warcraft is perfect spend your money on that instead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

been playing it over 3 years now with 4 active accounts ... alot of people are pissed off about a major revamping of the game last year and continue to flame it endlessly, it isnt as bad as they make out, Im having plenty of fun with it.

Best advice i can give you is try the trial, youll either love it or hate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

alot of people are pissed off about a major revamping of the game last year

SOE fail. SWG gets a revamp over the last year, while we Planetside players get snowmen props for christmas (the only change since last summer). Yay! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

There was supposed to be funky new stuff in the works for us (Planetside) but it hasn't appeared yet. Might be something on the official forums, but I don't read those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

You can play planetside for free so its not surprising that there's not a huge amount of development in it.

I played this before WoW came out and I didn't think it was as bad as people were saying either. The guild setting up and controlling villages and building your own house thing was a nice diversion. To be fair I only played it like 3/4 months so I wouldn't probably have seen the problems that seemed to drive some people insane. As said above, give it a go on the trial and see whether its the thing for you.

If you read the official wow forums people there are always complaining about grinding, class balance, content etc. Its the same with every game, the people who don't like the game are the ones you hear the most from.

WoW, EQ2, Planetside, Eve and SWG all have free trials, so play the field a bit and see which one you like.

• Advertisement

There was supposed to be funky new stuff in the works for us (Planetside) but it hasn't appeared yet. Might be something on the official forums, but I don't read those.

We are set to get new CE deployables, in the year 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Yeah new CE deployables, new latice system and tons more weapon and vehicle variants are "ment" to be coming soon :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well, I'm sure you don't want an update, but you're getting one anyway.

I downloaded the client last tuesday and started downloading the patches. It's still going...

humanji wrote:
    Well, I'm sure you don't want an update, but you're getting one anyway.

I downloaded the client last tuesday and started downloading the patches. It's still going...

Many still play it? There was a time when I was interested in getting it. Then read the reviews :/

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Kirijoleth

I was thinking of trying it too, but heard so many bad things about a lot of old players leaving due to game changes. So in the end I stuck with Saga of Ryzom and my first person shooters. Ryzom has seen a good influx of players from SWG and there are even guilds who actively seek out former SWG players.

I found a good youtube clip of Fett's Vette - quite amusing and made using the SWG MMO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z9XTeeA43o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I still play as well, with three characters on the european Farstar server. I've bumped into Monty a few times :)

After the second game revamp (which a lot of flaming is directed at), the developers basically pulled a load of the game out with some sort of "lets get the basics working and add stuff bit-by-bit" mentality, so they're adding content back in with each update and it's been improving steadily as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

SWG has been so gutted by retarded developers its almost criminal that the bastards are allowed work on games. Its just so sad to see what they did to the game when it had so much potential :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I won't go into details of why I hate SWG but I will say this. Because of my experience with that game I will NEVER EVER buy or play ANYTHING with the SoE tag on it.

If I did it would be like going back to a restaurant where the waiters spat in my food in front of me and then laughed.

(and I played it exhaustively, had a Jedi and everything, unlocked the old fashioned way by grinding professions - before SOE made them a starter class)

Memnoch wrote:
    I won't go into details of why I hate SWG but I will say this. Because of my experience with that game I will NEVER EVER buy or play ANYTHING with the SoE tag on it.

If I did it would be like going back to a restaurant where the waiters spat in my food in front of me and then laughed.

(and I played it exhaustively, had a Jedi and everything, unlocked the old fashioned way by grinding professions - before SOE made them a starter class)

If only I was as strong as you sir, and canceled my Planetside sub...
    I hate SOE, but I love the game, despite its many bugs that have been there since 2004.

I finally managed to get the SWG trial updated (my mate somehow got all of them on disk for me!) and I'm actually really enjoying it. I actually prefer the combat now that the way it was before and the missions seem to have more context than the usual mmorpg where you simply do your quest and it's never mentioned again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

just trying the quests is a pain at the moment te lag is soooo bad when conversing with characters. I only bought this a few weeks ago and I'm considering dumping it.

Just found out now that the server I'm on (Flurry) is in the us west coast. Think I need to jump on a european server.

Tippex wrote:
    just trying the quests is a pain at the moment te lag is soooo bad when conversing with characters. I only bought this a few weeks ago and I'm considering dumping it.

Just found out now that the server I'm on (Flurry) is in the us west coast. Think I need to jump on a european server.

I've tried a couple of servers and had a bit of lag on the American servers. The European ones work fine for me at the moment.

I'm actually really enjoying this now. I'm quite tempted to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Used to play it myself, thought it was an unreal game except for the server overload...once you hit the cities yer screwed, the game practically freezes (and it wasnt my machine, trust me).Wow was released and I got hooked on that, was going to go back to SWG but I heard they overhauled the whole combat system so I didnt go back to it in the end.

It's worth a try. I actually really like the combat. Can't stand the WoW kind where you just type a macro to do the same repetative combat over and over. And the light saber fights look pretty impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dawnie

Hm well it could b the start of a vry exciting time atm for SWG players, the lead designer Helios has got the boot, Helios was the designer behind most of the changes which lead to the moaning that goes on on the forums, all in all its a great game, ive played for over 3 yrs now, through all the changes when ppl were leavin the game left right and center and if I had to fault it on any one thing it would b for me after 3 yrs theres a lack of content issue, theres vry few quests in the game that r high end and require a grp, we need more of thoose. To anyone who played it b4 and had the lag issues i would say comeback, its diffrent now, no more walking through coronet looking at the ground cause u were getting 1 fps from the ppl and spamming, only time i have any lag issues now is when im in a lrg Imperial grp kicking a large grp of Rebels asses. As MMO's go u wont find one better tbh and ive tried, got bored with the babysitting involved with grpin with 12 yr olds playing WoW, luckily for the most part SWG attracts the more mature gamer (well post pubesent anyway) and for every 3 ppl that left because of the changes, ppl cryin because anyone can pick jedi from starting proffession now to ppl crying over the change in combat systems call a waambulance cause most of them end up comming back to game anyway, or more times than not they still play, just still like to bitch on the forums lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Pre-cu the game was one of the best I've ever played, then the "Combat Upgrade" came and in mine, and alot of players opinions totally destroyed the game, a while later the New Game Enhancements was brought it which truly put the nail in the coffin.

The game as it stands now is a pile of **** and a shadow of it's former self, hopefully the emu will be out soon enough, then you'd be able to see the game at it's peak. But right now I would not recommend it at all, look at all the reviews of the game, total disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dawnie

I think its human nature to look back with rose tinted glasses, I also played in pre-cu, I started playing and grinding on holos, while I do look back and think yeah it was good, Im not saying the changes now r better, hell there not, but to compare it to a pile of **** lol, how long is it since u played? did u leave after CU hit? and the EMU, its a bit cloudy, yeah id like to try it but couldnt b arsed grinding for servers to just decide to shut down, mate of mines been asked a apply for possition of lead GM on EMU so pro will try it, I do miss the diversity and co-dependency f pre-cu, but theres no way its ever goin back there so for us the still enjoy the game we change with the changes, those that dont dont play

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Indeed, thats quite a fair assessment Dawnie, however I think you will find that the people who left far outweight the people who stayed... or came back...

Just dont let Memnoch hear you defend SWG or SoE for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Heh I don't mind people defending the game/SoE that's their choice/opinion to which they are more than entitled.

My opinions are based on my experiences with the game and have given me the concrete impression that SoE are not trustworthy as a company on numerous levels. I'm not talking about just their willingness to change the entire mechanics of the game but for..

their horrible customer service
    constant attempts to pro-long the grind
    endless carrots on a stick that don't turn up
    dishonesty
    lack of respect for their players as gamers and people
    release unfinished, buggy games (yes i know, most MMO's are 'unfinished' at release, but with SoE this takes on a whole new meaning)

The worst thing though is the dishonesty. They show absolutely no interest in holding themselves to account over any promises they make. They lie in a way that makes you feel stupid for having believed them.

I could go on, but i've ranted and vented enough. Time to 'let it go.' Still, I do consider it my duty to warn potential players of what to expect if they decide to purchase a SoE product.

I'm not just bitter, if a game is good then I recommend it also.

WoW is probably the best MMO currently, and blizzard at least try to listen to their players, even though their response time is usually in months. A great example of this is the elimination of 40 man raids from WoW to a new cap of 25 man raids. Also, it looks like the kind of PvP system I'd originally dreamed of is finally being implemented in the game. I feel it's one and a half years too late, but there is nothing comparable out there currently.

Advertisement