Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh no! Not another snag query!

Options
  • 09-01-2007 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

We were up at the house (3 bed, last row) on Sat to have a nosey round the outside and were very disconcerted to see that it looked far from ready to be snagged! Missing drain pipes, a giant hole in the garden, what looks like a radiator leak on the hall floor, missing brickwork on the steps.....and this was just a five minute peek! The garden looks as if it's got a pretty steep slope too.

We decided to hire the services of a professional snagger - homesnag.ie. Has anyone used them before? Are they good?

Those of you who have snagged recently - was your list long and is there anything obvious that we should look out for?

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

Neets, I've sent you a Private Message, but you shouldn't have to snag any house in that condition, unfortunately, people in Ireland accept the unacceptable. If your solicitor doesn't back you on this, he's no good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

Marcais wrote:
    Neets, I've sent you a Private Message, but you shouldn't have to snag any house in that condition, unfortunately, people in Ireland accept the unacceptable. If your solicitor doesn't back you on this, he's no good!!
    Hi Marcais,

That PM didn't come through. Can you send it again.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

neets wrote:
    Hi Marcais,

That PM didn't come through. Can you send it again.

Cheers

Sorry, sent now.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

Agree 110% with Marcais - when I snagged last year the house was totally unprepared and filthy - bags of cement/builders hat/boots in the sittingroom, house covered in plaster dust, most kitchen cupboard doors missing, stanley knife blades on the floor, smoke alarms not fitted etc etc. my first snag list was 11 A4 pages long!!!

snagging SHOULD mean that as far as the builders are concerned the house is ready to be moved into but you get the chance to look around just incase theres anything small they have missed, not the task of documenting all the things they have yet to do to get the house ready.

get on to your solicitor and also the foreman cos its not acceptable for them to present the house like this - imagine if youd paid someone to snag for you - youd still have to pay them for turning up even though the house clearly sounds like it was far from ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Most times when I've snagged properties on that side of Charlesland I found the properties not to be finished internal (practically complete), not connected to the electricity (sometimes not their fault), gardens not finished, etc, etc. I will say is that on more than one occassion I have visited these properties and I have told the foreman that I cannot snag pointing out the obvious. I then issued a letter to Durkans stating this also that the client has now been charged for an aborted visit (which is nearly as expensive as the snag itself!).

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

Hi folks,

I really appreciate the feedback here. I will certainly get onto Durkans about this. And thank you for the pm Marcais. Astrofluff, I wish I had known you were a snagger earlier as I certainly would have liked to use a fellow poster and a Charleslandian for my snag as you have the inside track.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭sso

Hi Neets,

Only just noticed this thread - I keep checking the older one. We also used home snag in the end and were REALLY happy with them. A friend had used them previously and can't speak highly enough for them. Our list was 7 pages. Like you say it wassn't really ready for inspection. We were told it was ready on a Tuesday, homesnag were in the area and looked in and then asked for it to be ready for the Friday. It was a little better but still not clean or anything near it.

Hope you get sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭cuddydale

We snagged with homesnag also the week before christmas and couldn't recommend them highly enough. Like everyone else the house was no more ready to be snagged, it was in a complete mess. Durkan said we should be ready to re-snag next week so i am really hoping that they have pulled the finger out. Electric is in now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 AshBy

Neets, I was out at the site today for the snag on my duplex. Greg mentioned that only 3 of the houses were not yet connected for ESB along with the 6 duplexes (didn't mention numbers, but I'd say they're the ones closest to the apts). ESB connection is supposed to be completed by Friday.

Probably worth giving Greg a shout to arrange your snag. And expect to come out filthy!

FYI I was told today they only do the contract clean post the initial snag and prior to the paint touch up! And you'll only get the shower heads fitted on Closure as they keep getting nicked!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

as i said in other post i ask them to snag my home but persone came spend only 45 minut on property and i m sure he didnt find much as i did by myself
    i can not recommand them as they are not good (dont forget you will be paying for your property for next 30 to 35 years almost all your life) so snaging is really very important and dont bother to pay high price as it will save lots of hassel.

neets wrote:
    We were up at the house (3 bed, last row) on Sat to have a nosey round the outside and were very disconcerted to see that it looked far from ready to be snagged! Missing drain pipes, a giant hole in the garden, what looks like a radiator leak on the hall floor, missing brickwork on the steps.....and this was just a five minute peek! The garden looks as if it's got a pretty steep slope too.

We decided to hire the services of a professional snagger - homesnag.ie. Has anyone used them before? Are they good?

Those of you who have snagged recently - was your list long and is there anything obvious that we should look out for?

Thanks!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement