Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learning to drive the best way?

Options
  • 09-01-2007 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I would like to learn how to drive. A few years ago I got a provisional license at the time I had no access to a car and could only afford a few lessons. This license expired about 5 years ago and I have not been on the road since. My new year’s resolution is to get my full license. Can I take driving lessons with registered instructor without any provisional license? What advice would you give me to get my license as soon as possible taking into account that I still don’t have a car to practise on I want to take maximum lessons. Could I go to UK or France for a residential intensive lessons then sit the test here? I have an approx budget of 3000 towards this, will it be enough? I don’t intend to purchase a car (yet) but would like to have my license so that I can rent a car when abroad and maybe join a carclub like in London or NYC (do these exist in Dublin?)

I have tried phoning the Motor Tax Office but they never reply, who could I phone to talk about the options.

Thanks for help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

the one thing i can tell you is that you need a provisional licence to get lessons. at an average price of 30 per lesson and using the testers car etc you should be able to get 10-15 lessons as an absolute beginner and pass the test after that. A driving instructor will best advise you when you are ready to sit your test. look at www.drivingtest.ie for waiting times in your area, plus these are cut a bit if there is a sgs test centre in your location too.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

AFAIK you can renew your old provisional licence as long as its not expired over 5 years. This will mean you don't have to go through the theory test. you can hire a car from your driving school to take the test in after you feel you've taken enough lessons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 eamon1

:) I got my info from www.irishmotoring.ie the have a list of driving schools all over Ireland and the instructors are rated also. To me the instructor is the no.1 pick make sure they know their stuff so they can teach you to a high standard so you pass your test asap.
    Another website is www.drivingtestinstructor.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

the simplest way is get a new provisional (you will need it for lessons), apply for your test, get lessons 10-15 should do if you have basic driving abilities already and then apply for a cancellation or get a letter from "your employer" (anyone you know that has a business) to get a quick test..pass and hey presto you're done....

P.S. An Irish provisional is the same as a learners permit in other countries, it's only valid within the state if you are accompanied by a fully licenced driver(unless 2nd provisional) and insured

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What do you mean by apply for a cancellation or get an employer's letter? Can you apply for a cancellation without the employer's letter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

You can apply for a cancellation anyway, but people with employer's letters get preference for cancellations, due to "needing" the licence for work

Advertisement