Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much do you think..

Options
  • 09-01-2007 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    How much do you think these two are worth:

A 2004 Silver Hyundai Sonata, 2.7 litre petrol, Automatic, 4 door, full options (electric drivers seat, leather interior etc. ) with 18k on the clock.

A 2004 Silver Renault Megane (hatchback), 1.6 litre petrol, Automatic, 21k on the clock.

Cheers,
    Quad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭UsedtobePC

A Megane 2004 (saloon), 1.6 litre petrol with 16k on the clock bout 3 months ago was approx 14500 from the Renault dealer in Liffey Valey

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Hyundai is worth about 8 grand. and the Megane around 12

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

04 Sonatas on carzone are priced between €15500 and €20000, but they are all 2.0ltr I'd imagine you'd have to take a big hit on it due to it being a 2.7 and people in this country being afraid of big engined cars.

colm_mcm wrote:
    The Hyundai is worth about 8 grand.

Not questioning your knowledge, but are the peopl eon carzone that far off with their valuations? As above the cheapest on carzone is near €16k. How much are they new? Carzone only lists a 2.0 petrol and a 2.0 diesel at 30-32k. I'd assume the 2.7 would 34-35k? Thats some depreciation in 2/3 years.

trust me. nobody will buy a 2.7 Sonata, or a 2.7 Coupe or Santa Fe for that matter. I have worked in a Hyundai dealership. How much the car cost when new is irrelevant. It's worth what someone's willing to pay for it.

An example, 3 years ago I appraised a trade in. It was a Golf base model (no equipment whatsoever) and it had a 2.0 PETROL engine. I didn't even know such a model existed. it was worth about 4 grand less than a 1.4 even though it was significantly more expensive when new.

Trust me, a Hyundai Sonata is a hard enough sell with a 2.0 petrol, the 2.7 kills it.

Also, the question is "how much is it worth", not "how much should I ask for it"

ot but seeing as you worked in a hyundai dealership, what are the sonata like as a 2nd hand buy seeing as they are so cheap. There are 00 ones on carzone for €2-3k. My dad will be looking for a new work car, he's a plumber and it will be wrecked with carrying loads of tools and he's a smoker. Will it take a bit of bashing or fall to pieces. Would he be better off looking elswhere for something cheap to last him a year or two.

• Advertisement

I"d have more faith in Hyundais of that age than a lot of European stuff. The Hyundai Sonata and Kia Magentis are unfashionable, but huge bargains with high spec and good reliability. The trim is durable enough but very badly finished. almost 90's Jap style.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Stekelly wrote:
    ot but seeing as you worked in a hyundai dealership, what are the sonata like as a 2nd hand buy seeing as they are so cheap. There are 00 ones on carzone for €2-3k. My dad will be looking for a new work car, he's a plumber and it will be wrecked with carrying loads of tools and he's a smoker. Will it take a bit of bashing or fall to pieces. Would he be better off looking elswhere for something cheap to last him a year or two.

The Hyundai Sonata has zero image so that makes them a very good bargin second hand. They are very well equipped, even early 2000 models come with climate control and leather seats. They are very comfortable cruisers, looks are a matter of opinion but this works to keep the price down. I have heard the 2.0 litre is a bit thirsty compared to other similar cars but I have still seen a good few Sonatas going around as taxis or hackneys. Definately worth a second look.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Slight off topic but a guy at work who moved here from abroad, brought his lhd Trajet 2.7 litre V6 petrol over with him, he was looking at trading up. He literally cannot give it away. It is like he or the car has the plague. 2.7 litre petrol is bad enough but left hand drive too is just killing.

bazz26 wrote:
    The Hyundai Sonata has zero image so that makes them a very good bargin second hand. They are very well equipped, even early 2000 models come with climate control and leather seats. They are very comfortable cruisers, looks are a matter of opinion but this works to keep the price down. I have heard the 2.0 litre is a bit thirsty compared to other similar cars but I have still seen a good few Sonatas going around as taxis or hackneys. Definately worth a second look.

Yeah its going on the list. Looks are the last thing on the checklist. Seeing as it'll be atradesmans car all he's worried about is reliability and that its comfy and roomy. It'll be lugging a bit of weight around in the boot so the 2.0ltr will be ideal. The hyundai seems a good option as he wont spend much on a car because it's onyl for work and willl probably only be used for 2 years or so.

reliability wise there isn't too much to worry about apart from niggly things like keys dropping their code and causing starting problems and other minor electrical woes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

colm_mcm wrote:
    trust me. nobody will buy a 2.7 Sonata, or a 2.7 Coupe or Santa Fe for that matter. I have worked in a Hyundai dealership. How much the car cost when new is irrelevant. It's worth what someone's willing to pay for it.

An example, 3 years ago I appraised a trade in. It was a Golf base model (no equipment whatsoever) and it had a 2.0 PETROL engine. I didn't even know such a model existed. it was worth about 4 grand less than a 1.4 even though it was significantly more expensive when new.

Trust me, a Hyundai Sonata is a hard enough sell with a 2.0 petrol, the 2.7 kills it.

Also, the question is "how much is it worth", not "how much should I ask for it"

Holy crap!

He ain't gonna like that.

Since I've never had a car, I'm completely clueless.

Hence, me being asked to finding realistic prices for these things is turning out to be alot more complicated than I'd feared.

Don't go on Carzone prices for what a car is worth. those prices are based on optimism more than anything else.

Advertisement