Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question on cams

Options
  • 09-01-2007 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

Hello all.

I have a 99 Ka, she's well reliable I've had her a few years, but lately I am doing a lot more long distance driving. Now I dont want to be breaking the speed limit, but I'd like to get a better speed going on her without feeling the car shaking on me at 70miles an hour.

I've been told I could get the cam followers changed and that would add a bit more power. But I've not got a clue about it really.

Would anyone have any advice or information on what I can do??

Much appreciated!

Rsta *

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

well if you have a ka going 70mph shes going to be shaking anyway ;) more power wont make a differance shel still shake.But if you want more power get an induction kit or k&n performance filter you should see an extra 5-10hp which is noticeable.But also bear in mind she will guzzle a lot more fuel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

hi, to be honest there's pretty much feck all you can do to make the car run effortlessly at 70mph/120kmh.

I wuldnt bother looking at the cams.

I think you would need at least 75 bhp if i understand correctly and the only way i would see that possible in the KA would be an after market turbocharger HAHA.

If youre doing a lot of motorway driving i would seriously consider a new car 1.3 or above

• Registered Users Posts: 12 trixiem

Had a Ford Ka and she could do over 80mph without shaking (on good roads though)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

If your car is shaking/vibrating at high speeds your wheels probably need balancing. Take your car to a tyre shop/garage :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

I don't know much about Ford kas so some of this mightn't be applicable but the following will strangle an extra bit of speed out of most cars:

1.Fit a straight through exhaust: Basically its just a straight exhaust pipe and because there aren't any twists and turns in it the exhaust fumes can escape faster, meaning it can take a little more air in faster, meaning more speed.

2. Get a port polish: This just makes the ports smoother meaning they offer less drag to the air moving in and out of them, which gives you a tiny bit better performance.

3. Fit a racing filter: Like car mad says, it'll give you a little better performance also.

4. Get it chipped: This is just changing a chip in the cars ECU to tell it to inject more fuel at certain revs, but on a non-turbo car this will only give you a tiny increase in performance, and its expensive.

5. Reduce the weight of the car: Basically remove as much weight as you can from the car, take out the rear seats if you don't use them, all the crap(if any) you have in the boot, the floor mats, the panels inside, the spare wheel, ect. Although that probably isn't practicle.

Do all that and you'll get a notacible improvement in speed but for the relatively small improvement for the cost of the parts and labour it wouldn't really be worth it in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Assuming a halfway decent road and no extreme weather conditions, a Ka should be pretty comfortable & quiet at 70mph. What's the mileage on the car? I'd be looking for things like poor tyres, wheels out of balance and worn suspension components. Don't bother messing with the engine unless there's something wrong with it.

Advertisement