Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steve Claridge-idiot

• 09-01-2007 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1985942,00.html
    Hoolahan has taken his time to make it in the professional game, having been signed a year ago by Livingston from Shelbourne, but, if he continues to play the way he is on his loan season at Blackpool, it won't take him long to make his mark.

That's right Steve.

3 League of Ireland winners medals.

Under21 caps won with rave reviews.

Senior squad call-up.

Motm performance against Deportivo La Coruna in CL qualifier.

But he's 'making his mark' now cos he's doing it against Port Vale. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ha! Steve's not Irish so proberly is'nt familair with the heroics of the U21 and Shels 3rd round qualifier!

And he's given the "kid" a rave review so I'd hold my tongue. :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I would agree with Mike65, he is in all fairness giving him praise at the end of the day. I dont think Claridge would have a great knowledge of the "achievements" of Shelbourne as would many English people and U21 caps are good and all but there is a big gulf between playing well at u21 level and senior.
    Impressive as 3 league of Ireland medals are, it is still a big step up crossing the channel and trying to achieve success there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I really don't see the problem here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

i agree with others -- hardly deserves to be termed an idiot cause he is not knowledgeable of football in another counrty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I really don't see the problem here...

I agree. :confused:

How has he made his mark excactly with all those stats Zebra?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

a bit of an over reaction there OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Will he be in any upcoming senior Irish squads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Claridge is trying to pass himself off as some up to speed football hack. He thinks Weso is 'making his mark now' against the likes of Port Vale. Yet he's done it against the likes of Depor.

If you're gonna write for a national newspaper like the Guardian, at least research your subject-not too difficult these days, is it? :confused:

If Wes "made his mark" for Shels, why did he leave for a side that were dead certs for relegation in the SPL. He was probably the best player I've ever seen for Shels, but I can't see how you are criticising Claridge for giving an honest impression of the players recent performances. You are picking on one fairly throw-away remark and making a big deal out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Worst rant ever.

• Advertisement

You don't put a throw away remark in a column in a national newspaper ffs.

He makes it sound like his performances against the likes of Cheltenham are the start of his career.

The fact that other British clubs weren't in for him is irrelevant. Is that what a LoI player needs to prove his worth? Have a British clubs falling around the place over them???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Zebra3 wrote:
    You don't put a throw away remark in a column in a national newspaper ffs.

How so? Some newspapers are made up entirely of them.

You really need to stop getting so worked up about these silly things.

Zebra3 wrote:
    Claridge is trying to pass himself off as some up to speed football hack. He thinks Weso is 'making his mark now' against the likes of Port Vale. Yet he's done it against the likes of Depor.

If you're gonna write for a national newspaper like the Guardian, at least research your subject-not too difficult these days, is it? :confused:

sorry -- your still way off terming him an idiot

Stekelly wrote:
    How so? Some newspapers are made up entirely of them.

You really need to stop getting so worked up about these silly things.

The Guardian is meant to be respectable paper with decent journalists unlike the Sun and Mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Zebra3 wrote:
    Yet he's done it against the likes of Depor

You make it seem like he was up against teams like Depor week in week out, very rare occasion in all fairness and it was a team effort not just hoolandinho on his own. Its admirable that you hold the player in high regard but he still has a long way to go dont you think

You make it seem like he was up against teams like Depor week in week out, very rare occasion in all fairness and it was a team effort not just hoolandinho on his own.

I don't make it sound like he was up against the likes of them every week. :rolleyes: Just pointing out that Claridge is getting excited cos he's doing it in England's third division when he played in countless European games over the years against far better teams while with Shels.

And I never made it sound like Weso done a solo against Depor. Of course everyone played well (even Crawley!! :eek: ), I just pointed out he got motm.
    Its admirable that you hold the player in high regard but he still has a long way to go dont you think

Yes I do hold Weso in high regard, but it's the ignorance of the pre-British part of his career by Claridge that irks me. Claridge praises him for what he's doing for Blackpool and then insults him by ignoring most of his previous career.

Zebra3 wrote:

Yes I do hold Weso in high regard, but it's the ignorance of the pre-British part of his career by Claridge that irks me. Claridge praises him for what he's doing for Blackpool and then insults him by ignoring most of his previous career.

He hardly insulted him -- i'm sure if Claridge read your post he would feal insulted - and rightly so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Wow, that must been one long piss some chap took in your conrflakes this morning Zebra.

To me Steve Claridge is saying that he doesnt think it will be long for a team from the championship make a move for him.

also, if you ask Wesley hoolihan if he thinks he has "made a mark in the game" chances are he would say not yet.

Zebra3 wrote:
    England's third division

I don't get why people call it this, whats wrong with League One or "the old Division Two".

We don't call the Irish First Division the Irish Second Division...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

What a stupid post, think of players who have come from bigger leagues than eircom league, who only made their mark after leaving them. One example being Ole Gunnar Solskjaer with 115 goals in 109 appearances for F.C. Clausenengen in Norways (a country which has had representatives IN the champions league rather than one good qualifying for display). Did he "make his mark" before moving to Manutd or not?

If anything, this post shows your ignorance of the world beyond your own little sphere Zebra3. I suspect a better title would be: Zebra3-idiot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement