Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool - Arsenal CC

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Almunia is having a great game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ooooooooooh! Carra nearly

/Grasping straws\

Mike.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Its still 6-3 with one offside goal disallowed. In fairness, it was even more offside than arsenal's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

SUPER save!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If Arsenal had dudek in goal it would be 5-6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

DaveMcG wrote:
    SUPER save!!!

In fairness it was right above his head. Lets not get carried away.

Stekelly wrote:
    In fairness it was right above his head. Lets not get carried away.
    It was a roaster and came out of nowhere, it was a good save.

"A classic" says mr. Tyler. A classic? Both teams have been awful, both sets of defences have been laughable, tactics a joke, far from a classic, this is more of a freak, a lone, standout, always to be remembered freak of a game where both sets of defenders would have been better served staying in the shower. Of course it's incredible to watch, but for all the wrong reasons. Now who has baptista in their Fantasy football team?

4 shots - 4 on target - 4 goals! The Beast!

DaveMcG wrote:
    It was a roaster and came out of nowhere, it was a good save.

Good yes, but not SUPER!!!!

Hyzepher wrote:

I'd be willing to bet Wenger would swap this one performance for a good 10-15 goal season though.

• Advertisement

I'll laugh if it ends 5-6, then I'll cry though.

This has been a damned expensive game, Hyypia exposed thoroughly, Paletta must be a bag of nerves, two injuries which look medium to lengthy lay-offs,
    Rafa's own motivations and reasoning clearly open to question.

Next game is against Watford thank Gawd.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Hyzepher wrote:

Missed the peno then did you?

Stekelly wrote:
    Good yes, but not SUPER!!!!

I'd be willing to bet Wenger would swap this one performance for a good 10-15 goal season though.
    If you say so buddy.

Finishes 6-3

*gets texting a few people :D*

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Missed the peno then did you?
    They actually dont count them ;)

DaveMcG wrote:
    If you say so buddy.

Well you yourself changed from super (in caps) to "it was a good save".

He showboated with the big jump. He could have just as easily stood there and saved it without leaving the ground.

Stekelly wrote:
    Well you yourself changed from super (in caps) to "it was a good save"
    Yes this one save. That was the most important aspect of the game for post game discussion.

:rolleyes:

Fair play to the Liverpool fans for sticking it out and signing at the end. Some amount bull**** came flowing out of andy gray's mouth tonight, i know thats not a surpise.

RAWK forum is on verge of server collapse.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Fair play to the Liverpool fans for sticking it out and signing at the end. Some amount bull**** came flowing out of andy gray's mouth tonight, i know thats not a surpise.
    Quoted for truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Well at least Fowler scored had a few quid on him at 3/1, Paletta cannot defend full stop for a big fella he gets muscled out of it a lot. Dudek can still save penalties but still dodgy as ****. Gerrard can still strike the ball sweetly but watching him limping off he may not be doing it on Saturday. Terrible defending by Liverpool, very static and the young players and old were caught out badly holding the line.

Stekelly wrote:

He showboated with the big jump. He could have just as easily stood there and saved it without leaving the ground.
    jesus h christ, do you scrutinise every word that comes out of your mates' mouth in the pub, too? Get over it, better luck next time FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Stekelly wrote:

I was a great save. Look at all your posts, a serious case of sour grapes. Give it a rest will ya?

Yeah its always good to see. Hopefully we never get so used to losing by 3 or 4 goals that it stops. It has a strange effect on you though. Just before the end of the Chelsea game last season at 1-4 I was in the kop when YNWA broke out. You almost forget about the score and get caught up in it. Great feeling.

I was a great save. Look at all your posts, a serious case of sour grapes. Give it a rest will ya?

I'm willing to bet the majority of my posts on this thread are criticising Liverpool players. Harldy sour grapes.

The one from the free kick was a great save. The one from Carras shot was bread and butter. If it had went in it was a massive goalkeeping error. It cant be both.

DaveMcG wrote:
    jesus h christ, do you scrutinise every word that comes out of your mates' mouth in the pub, too? Get over it, better luck next time FFS.

I made a comment about you well overstating a simple act. You kept it going after that.

Aside from all that. Peltier is far too easily beaten for a right full, young or not. Rafaf shouldnt have left him on for 90 mins to get roasted. He should have at least tried somethign, like maybe stuck paletta out on the right to try cut out the balls coming in.

The amount of ball that is given away up front is ridiculous. You can get away with it in a lot of games, but the fact that Arseanl punished it by breaking so ofeten and well shows that you just cant do that sort of sloppy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Until it finishes then realise the score again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

For all the Dudek bashing again, I can only really fault him for the third goal. Same with the weekend game, I fail to see how a vast majority of the goals can be attributed to him.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

erm...

erm...

Aliadiere was as brilliant tonight as Paletta was terrible. Well done lad.

That game was er, strange.

There are much bigger issues than Dudek at hand. Still thats for the Liverpool thread.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Jamie Redknapp "they can beat barcelona" .lol

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Oh what a game, that was such fun. I went to the pub with 2 mates to watch the game, they both predicted a Liverpool win, so I figured I'd give the same prediction I gave for the FA Cup game, and then Baptista exploded, it was great :)
    After half time we had a bet on what the score would be, I went for 7-3, so I was cheering for both sides in the 2nd half, and the people next to me thought I was insane.

This is why you watch football, what a game!

The FA should impose a rule that you have to field 4 under 18 year old players in every game, it'd make the league so much more interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

When was the last time Liverpool let in 6? I don't remember it ever happening as long as I've been following the game anyway.

I'm betting someone is doing research right now to find that out.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Pigman II wrote:
    When was the last time Liverpool let in 6? I don't remember it ever happening as long as I've been following the game anyway.

Apparently not since 1914 at home.

KdjaCL wrote:
    Jamie Redknapp "they can beat barcelona" .lol

kdjac

Carefull now. There were threads like that before each round in 2005.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Stekelly is a Liverpool fan. therefore he has an automatic gift in the art of understanding the game of football.:p

Strange match by all accounts. Didn't see much of it I must admit but it was exhibition stuff at times.

A few goals in the premiership now please for the beast!!

Spurs up next, it will be interesting to see if Arsenal put out the same team.

Nice to see Diaby back though.

Now if only a few of these kids can break into the Arsenal first team.
    Ali can still **** off. Sell him now Wenger his price just went up by £1m!
    Doesn't inspire confidence in Liverpools youth set up though.

Arsenal cup double on the cards!? Would have taken that at the start of the season but a long way to go yet in both.

Liverpool 1 - 9 Birmingham in 1954

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

6-3

it'll do. bring on Spurs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

These things happen. I wouldn't get too carried away as an Arsenal fan, but as a pool fan I think twice in a week is a bit ominous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

cashback wrote:
    Not expecting much from Ali tonight. If he doesn't do anything, how many more chances can Wenger give him?!
    Hope 'The Beast' can make a claim for a regular starting place.

classic quote right there :D:D

The most worrying thing for Liverpool is the apparent lack of quality coming through the youth system currently.

Arsenal on the other hand appear to have some great quality coming through. All of them are so athletic and strong, any mistakes or lapses can be made back up throw raw pace and power, thus building their confidence.

• Advertisement

jank wrote:
    Stekelly is a Liverpool fan. therefore he has an automatic gift in the art of understanding the game of football.:p

Well if you think that was an exhibition game , I have a head start. It was muck from a football point of view. It could have been 8-8 the defences were that bad. Kevin Keegan would have loved it mind.:)

In fairness to the youth set up, there was only 2 playing (3 at a stretch if you include Paletta). Which says more about the first team and/or rafas ideas.

As far as Arsenal winning the cups, I honestly dont think they will win either. Thats not sour grapes or anything like it, I just really dotn think they will. Thats whats makes this weeks games all the worse.

The most worrying thing for Liverpool is the apparent lack of quality coming through the youth system currently. .

As above, I wouldnt go that far. They did win the youth cup and this was only 2 of them not having a great night. Paletta left Peltier horribly exposed all night. I wouldnt have fancied Finnan much to have a good game playing against 2 Arsenal attackers al night. Guthrie could have had a goal if he hadnt needlesly stepped offside. He would have had to run the middle to have had a good game, he didnt have much support and I dont think him running the game was ever on the cards. He could doing with being a bit more Level headed but he is young.

Gerrard not having a head on his shoulders is more worrying, I think he's hit his level, he's not going to develope into the very top level because he seems to lack the ability to stop and slow a game down.HE needs someone to do his thinking and reel him in a bit.

At the end of the day it's very hard for a couple of kids to come in and shine in a team playing so badly.

Arsenal on the other hand appear to have some great quality coming through. All of them are so athletic and strong, any mistakes or lapses can be made back up throw raw pace and power, thus building their confidence.

The biggest problem tonight was the lapses. Strong, quick players can be dealt with by being clever. Paul McGrath did it for years. A lot of the best Centre Halve swere notathletic sprinters, but clever players. Trying to catch them offside is always goign to backfire and supposed experienced players like Hyypia nd Paletta should know better. Sami was all over the place tonight. Simple things like getting the ball out of the box whens it's lyign at his feet seemed beyond him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Liverpool B 3-6 Arsenal B

After the 1-3 loss and knockout from the FA Cup on Sat I was of the opinion that Liverpool needed to win this game, and our strongest team should be put out. Stevie Gerrard's article and many other Liverpool opinions were along the same line.

HOW ON EARTH could Benitez pick such a team! Granted, it was Arsenal's B team, but this was Liverpool's B team, and being weaker than Arsenal's squad was asking for trouble. A loss in such a way would possibly be forgiven if this was a nothing match, but this was not the case. The effect will also be psychological on the whole team and the whole fan base. This IS a disaster.

And whether a B team or not, this will not only be a case of being knocked out of the Carling Cup, the only Cup where we had a reasonable chance to win something, and trophies ARE important as much as money is, but getting hammered as well.

The mistake was made before any ball was even kicked. I blame the result 100% on Benitez. He selected a very weak team. I applaud the likes of Stevie Gerrard who must be very very frustrated and angry tonight. He must have been pulling his hair out in the dressing room before he even went out on the pitch.

No Finnan, No Reina, No Riise, No Carragher, No Agger
    No Alonso, No Kuyt .....

Dudek
    Peltier Hyypia Paletta Warnock
    Guthrie Gerrard Aurelio Gonzalez
    Fowler Bellamy

Aurelio in centre midfield is not a CM player

The mistakes in the selection are obvious. Dudek was woeful.

Okay, with this selection it seems like Benitez wanted Liverpool out of the cup. Why? You can talk about the big picture, etc, but ....

The selection was crazy and its cheating the fans and followers. Arsenal put out their u-25 team. Benitez could have put out the u-12's just to make sure we lost.

not happy ....

Redspider

Well if you think that was an exhibition game

Maybe you dont understand the term "exhibition" when used in conjunction with a football match. Watch a World XI vs Europe XI. Thats an exhibition match, it doesnt have to be an "exhibition" of defending per say. Offensive football usually takes precedence.

Maybe Arsenal wont win either but at least they are in there with a shout, unlike *cough*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

lol

jank wrote:
    Maybe you dont understand the term "exhibition" when used in conjunction with a football match. Watch a World XI vs Europe XI. Thats an exhibition match, it doesnt have to be an "exhibition" of defending per say. Offensive football usually takes precedence.

Yes but it wasnt even an exhibition of great attackinf football. It was mostly about wastfull football and defensive mistakes.

You said yourself you didnt see much of it. We all know matches viewed selectivly can look very different from the reality.

If you watch Liverpools cl highlights from 2005 Harry Kewell looks like a legend.:) I swear its true, i have the video, otherwise I wouldnt believe it myslef.

If you watch Liverpools cl highlights from 2005 Harry Kewell looks like a legend

Ah classic liverpool!

jank wrote:
    Ah classic liverpool!

why did you stop the quote halfway through to make it out like I sai dHarry Kewell is great?

He's been pure muck since he signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm sorry, I watched the whole match, and it was a wonderful display of attacking football.
    Yes Liverpool were defensivly poor, but to be honest, some absolute brilliance from Ali and Baptista breaking apart a defense in the way only top class players can.

This was a fantastic game, but it wasn't just due to poor defending that the goals were scored, and honastly, how can somebody claim that a game that had 9 goals in it wasn't a wonderdul display of attacking football.
    That said,
    It was mostly about wastfull football and defensive mistakes.
    Is accurate to Liverpools preformance, not Arsenals.

I don't get why Rafa didn't put out a top team, especially considering this is the best chance for Liverpool to win some silverware this year, especially considering the fact that Arsenal was guarenteed to put out a 2nd strength team.

I think the difference tonight was between the choice of 1st teams for each team.
    Wenger choose Toure and Fabregas to ensure that there was a strong defender in the center, and a player to keep the passing movement going.
    Rafa choose Bellamy and Gerrard, who aren't exactly players who make the team play better, as they are more focused on end product. The choice of Carragher and Alonso would have been much better. Hindsight 20/20 etc.

He choose Bellamy for match fitness. I dont care about winning the carling cup with a full team and i doubt rafa does either.

Disappointed with the result, but i am happy to see some of our reserve squad got a run out and played a competitive match.

I would of been disappointed to see a full strength 11 tonight.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:
    As above, I wouldnt go that far. They did win the youth cup and this was only 2 of them not having a great night.
    But that is the point, surely if they were good enough they would be old enough?

It's been six years since a player of any quality has broken through properly to the first team, and plenty have fallen to the wayside since. Hopefully this will change when Benitez has been in the job long enough to put his stamp on the set-up (a la Ferguson and Wenger) but until then it will worry me.

I couldn't even tell you who the "next big thing" tipped to come out of the academy is, because there doesn't seem to be any major hopes. Andersen is supposed to be good, but how come he is not good enough when Arsenal can field a team of teenagers and win, comfortably.

Advertisement