Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool - Arsenal CC

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'd like to see Baptista make a mark on this game, he's been surprisingly poor since joining Arsenal this season.

This is genius!!!! Ha, even if he never does anything again, he must be in a pretty small 'I've scored 4 at Anfield' group.

Keepers were main difference for me. Almunia made some excellent saves, Dudek made one meangiful movement in the whole game.

Liverpool fans, you are lucky Garcia got injured. I know he's scored a few important goals for you but he's such a waster of posession.. Get the ball, lose it, foul someone was his pattern for last night.

Get Risse back in there and start playing football like you mean it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

TheMonster wrote:
    Only 3 players could not be described as first team squad players far less than the opoositions.

Can you remember the last time the mancs lost 6-3? (not that long ago)
    How did they get on for the rest of that season? (very well!)

But if people want to read all doom and gloom into one freak result with the reserve back 5 in place, and ignore the fact that Liverpool have won 6 of their last 7 league games, scoring 17 goals and conceding just one, and had 13 clean sheets in the last 16 games Reina played in - then please feel free to do so.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Can you remember the last time the mancs lost 6-3? (not that long ago)
    How did they get on for the rest of that season? (very well!)

But if people want to read all doom and gloom into one freak result with the reserve back 5 in place, and ignore the fact that Liverpool have won 6 of their last 7 league games, scoring 17 goals and conceding just one, and had 13 clean sheets in the last 16 games Reina played in - then please feel free to do so.
    No actually you're right. Their performance last night was inspiring, and this season is the very zenith of their form in the history of the club.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

KdjaCL wrote:
    Jamie Redknapp "they can beat barcelona" .lol

kdjac

I still reckon they can, Barca are out of sorts and liverpool have the away leg second.

In fairness the problem with the match was the goalies and also that the few youngsters liverpool played weren't really up to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

While it was a terrible performance I think some good will come from it. I doubt we'll ever see Dudek, Warnock, or Peltier play for us again. They'll be moved on pretty quickly. And while Fowler and Hyppia have been great servants to the club and will remain heroes, they'll get moved on in the summer as well. Paletta will hopefully get loaned out so he can get some games under his belt. The best of last years FA Youth squad will be gradually introduced, and they'll be joined by the likes of Insua, and maybe McCarthy and more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

gosplan wrote:
    Barca are out of sorts

Every single year someone says that! Its Barcelona for god sake, they can turn it on when needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

can someone explain how barca are out of sorts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

No actually you're right. Their performance last night was inspiring, and this season is the very zenith of their form in the history of the club.
    :rolleyes:
    He said nothing of the sort. It'd be great if you could read peoples posts before replying such.

Are you serious?
    What is your problem man?
    I even put in the quote in the original post FFS. Just trying to indicate using, OH NO!!!! Not sarcasm.... that if my team conceded 6 in any game, let alone at home, let alone against a bunch of teenagers, that there is a bit more of a problem there than something you can brush aside by saying "Ah sher we'll beat Barca and win the Champions league."
    Good luck with that mate.
    Refusing to believe that liverpool losing 6-3 and getting knocked out of two cups in a week, you're in fact glad because you'd "rather have them set their sights on bigger goals." Its just ridiculous to the extreme to think that this is not a major down turn in Pool's season and a major indication that the squad needs improving and some leadership.....
    Seriously, get the hell over yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

I think people are missing the point here. That display from liverpool last night was a disgrace. What it really shows the world is that liverpool have zero players coming through their academy and youth structure,. Gerrard showed his class last night with the goal, if he wants to achieve a premiership medal before he retires he needs to make a move to one of the big three. United/Arsenal/Chelesea. Yeah liverpool had chances, but they were so poor you always felt if arsenal wanted to score more they might have put away ten. Baptista missed a penalty and they had more chances. Hypia is an old man. yeah he scored a goal, but my word did he look a donkey last night, and i think the magical moment last night was when Aliadiere left the centre back on his arse for the 6th. I think last nights defeat can actually damage liverpool more than they think. Arsenal were not that good last night, they were just effecient, with a good game plan. Liverpool had zero.

Yawn... yeah its the end of the world for them. :rolleyes:

Who would have thought that a mostly reserve team getting beaten in a relatively unimportant competition would create so much anquish, and have so many fans of other clubs thinking it the death knell of the club.

Roll on saturday when some other team comes the crisis club du jour..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Stky10 wrote:
    Yawn... yeah its the end of the world for them. :rolleyes:

Who would have thought that a mostly reserve team getting beaten in a relatively unimportant competition would create so much anquish
    Sorry but that sounds like sour grapes to me. The truth is Liverpool were relegation standard last night, you can pull whatever excuses you want out of the bag but it was really really poor.

And as for it being an "unimportant" competition, I would speculate that many of the 42,000 paying fans at Anfield would say otherwise. If it's so unimportant, why isn't it played behind closed doors?

I can't understand why, when you lose, all of a sudden the tournament is unimportant :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Match Stats:
    Goals: Liverpool 3 Arsenal 6
    Shots: Liverpool 17 Arsenal 7
    On Target: Liverpool 11 Arsenal 6
    Off Target: Liverpool 6 Arsenal 1

The difference between the two sides was in the finishing ability and the relative merits of the two goalkeepers.

This is something that Liverpool fans have been pointing to all season, but it creates a false picture of how they are doing. It's not that they aren't finishing their chances, its that they aren't creating good chances, they are creating lots and lots of half chances. Every time Gerrard belts the ball from 40 yards counts as a chance, but it's not a real chance, it just goes in once in a while, normally in a big game.

Liverpool are not all set in attack bar strikers, there are big parts of their team as a whole that are not producing good chances, and they get a lot of long balls up to Crouch, which leads to a knock down, and a half chance.

The differences between Liverpool and Arsenal as a team are not based on finishing and goalkeeping ability, they are based on the ability of the team to make decent chances through passing movements.

Savman wrote:
    Sorry but that sounds like sour grapes to me.

Nah... just tired of reading lots and lots of rubbish on this all day.
    Savman wrote:
    And as for it being an "unimportant" competition, I would speculate that many of the 42,000 paying fans at Anfield would say otherwise. If it's so unimportant, why isn't it played behind closed doors?

I said it was "relatively unimportant". If Benitez thought it important that they get through to the next round he would have picked a stronger team. He made 9 changes from the match at the weekend. It would have been 10 to make it almost fully reserve-ish, only Dudek played at the weekend as well.
    Savman wrote:
    I can't understand why, when you lose, all of a sudden the tournament is unimportant :rolleyes:

Ehh wrong, I've posts from days before the match referring to it as the "worthless" cup. Here's one for instance

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52590969&postcount=5655

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

iregk wrote:
    Every single year someone says that! Its Barcelona for god sake, they can turn it on when needed.

Did they not need to turn it on in their last match?

La Liga will go down to the last few games this season i think. They wont win the CL either, there not as good as last year. I am not saying liverpool will beat them, but i would be very suprised if they win it again this year.

• Advertisement

Savman wrote:
    Sorry but that sounds like sour grapes to me. The truth is Liverpool were relegation standard last night, you can pull whatever excuses you want out of the bag but it was really really poor.

If thats the case, Manchester united were relegation standard of the championship then.

Yet i dont remember any Uniteds fans calling for fergies head after the match.

Stky10 wrote:

Ehh wrong, I've posts from days before the match referring to it as the "worthless" cup. Here's one for instance

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52590969&postcount=5655
    Fair enough, you're entitled to call it what you want bud. But let me ask an honest question, you're out of the FA Cup now too (dunno if you classify that as worthless) and odds are firmly against you for the Premiership and you have Barcelona in the CL. What do you realistically expect to achieve this season?

Are you serious?
    What is your problem man?
    I even put in the quote in the original post FFS. Just trying to indicate using, OH NO!!!! Not sarcasm.... that if my team conceded 6 in any game, let alone at home, let alone against a bunch of teenagers, that there is a bit more of a problem there than something you can brush aside by saying "Ah sher we'll beat Barca and win the Champions league."
    Good luck with that mate.
    Every Liverpool fan here can accept that the performance last night was very very bad, but the reality of it is that it is not the end of the world.
    Refusing to believe that liverpool losing 6-3 and getting knocked out of two cups in a week, you're in fact glad because you'd "rather have them set their sights on bigger goals." Its just ridiculous to the extreme to think that this is not a major down turn in Pool's season and a major indication that the squad needs improving and some leadership.....
    Seriously, get the hell over yourself.
    I was disappointed going out of the FA Cup, but to be honest I'd rather go out in the third round to Arsenal then to get to the semis and be eliminated. Arsenal's game plan on Saturday was spot on, they were clinical with the few chances they made and deserved to win the game. Arsenal were on top of their (away) game that day and hats off.

Of course I'd love Liverpool to win all and sundry, but it's not going to happen, and to be honest seeing as Liverpool have won all the cups bar the league title in recent years, I'd rather see them push for second than finish some way of second in third or fourth and win the CC or FAC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Laughed hysterically at this match last night. How could you not? That said, games with lots of goals will keep you watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

A relatively meaningless competition but Liverpool's defeat should be put in perspective. They're not gonna win the league this season, and champions league is a very long shot. So they turn their attention to the cups, out of the fa cup on saturday, and now the league cup last night.

If this game hadn't been postponed and Liverpool went out not much would have been said, sure it's only the league cup. But as Liverpool's last chance of winning anything this season, Benitez should have fielded a stronger side. Maybe it was a case of his pride getting the better of him, Liverpool are too big a club to be actually trying to win the league cup etc. It's the fact that they conceded 6 at home for the first time in almost 80 years, and went out of the league cup only days after the f.a. cup, leaving the rest of the season fairly meaningless, that makes people see this as such a bad result. Yes it's only the league cup, and it was a largely second string liverpool side, but the game was an utter disaster for Liverpool and Benitez in particular.

• Advertisement

A relatively meaningless competition but Liverpool's defeat should be put in perspective. They're not gonna win the league this season, and champions league is a very long shot. So they turn their attention to the cups, out of the fa cup on saturday, and now the league cup last night.

If this game hadn't been postponed and Liverpool went out not much would have been said, sure it's only the league cup. But as Liverpool's last chance of winning anything this season, Benitez should have fielded a stronger side. Maybe it was a case of his pride getting the better of him, Liverpool are too big a club to be actually trying to win the league cup etc. It's the fact that they conceded 6 at home for the first time in almost 80 years, and went out of the league cup only days after the f.a. cup, leaving the rest of the season fairly meaningless, that makes people see this as such a bad result. Yes it's only the league cup, and it was a largely second string liverpool side, but the game was an utter disaster for Liverpool and Benitez in particular.

Going out of the cup has no bearing on it at all, it was the performance and result.

if we lost 1-0 we wouldnt have 11 pages on this, and i seriously doubt we would of had a thread asking wether rafa should be sacked.

The only ones who are so obsessed with this result, are people who dont support liverpool

Going out of the cup has no bearing on it at all, it was the performance and result.

if we lost 1-0 we wouldnt have 11 pages on this, and i seriously doubt we would of had a thread asking wether rafa should be sacked.

The only ones who are so obsessed with this result, are people who dont support liverpool

Well obviously, when I said people wouldn't have cared if the game wasn't postponed and Liverpool still lost I meant not losing 6-3. Going out of the cup does matter though, and it's the timing (just after fa cup exit) and the fact they conceded 6 goals that magnify this. Liverpool fans on this forum are trying to shrug this off like it doesn't matter in the slightest, but it does. If they aren't obsessed with this result, they should be.

Well obviously, when I said people wouldn't have cared if the game wasn't postponed and Liverpool still lost I meant not losing 6-3. Going out of the cup does matter though, and it's the timing (just after fa cup exit) and the fact they conceded 6 goals that magnify this. Liverpool fans on this forum are trying to shrug this off like it doesn't matter in the slightest, but it does. If they aren't obsessed with this result, they should be.

Why should the carling cup matter? So if we came 3rd, went on of the FA cup in the 3rd round, lost in the CL in the 2nd round but won the Carling cup are season would be a success?

Most liverpool fans are shurgging it off, not just on this forum. Why should it be obsessed over it? If we concede 6 goals in the premisership or CL with our full team, then i will start obsessing and getting worried, until then i'll leave it to the United fans et all.

The indifference shown by (some of) the Liverpool fans is amazing...take yer head out of the sand!!

The errors by Benitez are a talking point for genuine football fans, but some of you pool fans seem to think people are exploiting the bad result to satistfy their own ego. While that could be true in some cases, there are those among us who are a bit above that and would happily discuss the fall from grace of any of the big teams, especially the one that was recently CL & FA Cup winners and touted for the Premiership title this season.

Why should the carling cup matter? So if we came 3rd, went on of the FA cup in the 3rd round, lost in the CL in the 2nd round but won the Carling cup are season would be a success?

Most liverpool fans are shurgging it off, not just on this forum. Why should it be obsessed over it? If we concede 6 goals in the premisership or CL with our full team, then i will start obsessing and getting worried, until then i'll leave it to the United fans et all.

First of all the attitude that was displayed. 42'000 Liverpool fans singing their hearts out even when they're 5-1 down and Benitez fields that team in the last chance you have this year of winning anything, and they play like utter shíte.

It really just does smack of Liverpool fans thinking they're too good a team to win the carling cup, otherwise they'd actually be a little upset at being dumped out of it 3 days after being dumped out of the fa cup. So if Liverpool go out of both cups and finish 3rd how does that compare with how they did last season? Oh yeah, they've gone backwards. Very successful. A carling cup victory would have salvaged something, it wasn't too long ago Liverpool fans were counting the community shield and intecontinental cup at 2 of the 5 trophies they won in 6 months.

it wasn't too long ago Liverpool fans were counting the community shield and intecontinental cup at 2 of the 5 trophies they won in 6 months.

Excactly, we had moved on from that. Now Liverpool fans wont accept the likes of the community shield etc as being good enough. I'd call that a step in the right dirction.

Obviously its a shame to be out of the FA cup, but winning it 2 years in a row was always going to be vry difficult.

Savman wrote:
    The indifference shown by (some of) the Liverpool fans is amazing...take yer head out of the sand!!

The errors by Benitez are a talking point for genuine football fans, but some of you pool fans seem to think people are exploiting the bad result to satistfy their own ego. While that could be true in some cases, there are those among us who are a bit above that and would happily discuss the fall from grace of any of the big teams, especially the one that was recently CL & FA Cup winners and touted for the Premiership title this season.

This is the kind of comical stuff i am talking about.

Fall from grace? the way your going on you'd swear were in the relegation zone.

This is the kind of comical stuff i am talking about.

Fall from grace? the way your going on you'd swear were in the relegation zone.
    Comical? From the way you're going on you'd swear yiz we're on course for a treble! I guess nobody's allowed criticize Liverpool :rolleyes:

The reaction of Jamie Redknapp said it all and the suggestion they can get past Barca after a performance like that. Merson was trying not to laugh!

But hey, it's a funny old game and all will be revealed ;)

Everybody is allowed and does criticise Liverpool!

But FFS we as fans were slagged when we used to boast about winning the odd cup. LFC have won a huge number of cups in the last 5-7 years, but finally there is a team there that is improving and wasn't far off the league challengers last year. The fans want the team to push for the league, as best they can, as the cups flatter deceive. We know from experience! I'd rather come second than win the Carling Cup TBH.

That said, I'd still celebrate the victory, a cup is always nice, but the determining of the seasons success won't hinge on whether we won the Carling Cup or not.

Savman wrote:
    Comical? From the way you're going on you'd swear yiz we're on course for a treble! I guess nobody's allowed criticize Liverpool :rolleyes:

The reaction of Jamie Redknapp said it all and the suggestion they can get past Barca after a performance like that. Merson was trying not to laugh!

But hey, it's a funny old game and all will be revealed ;)

And in 2005 when if Redknapp suggested they could beat Juve Merson would of being trying hard not to laugh, then again for the chelsea match. I am sure he would of let out a small laugh when we were against AC in the final, cos we'll its AC after all, sure we had no chance?

His sides would of been all over the floor at the suggestion we could of won it at half-time aswell.

I suppose thats the reason football is a funny old game.

• Advertisement

And in 2005 when if Redknapp suggested they could beat Juve Merson would of being trying hard not to laugh, then again for the chelsea match. I am sure he would of let out a small laugh when we were against AC in the final, cos we'll its AC after all, sure we had no chance?

His sides would of been all over the floor at the suggestion we could of won it at half-time aswell.

I suppose thats the reason football is a funny old game.
    No wonder that Merseyside wine is so unpopular when you keep on using them sour grapes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Who would have thought that a mostly reserve team getting beaten
    This was not the reserve team - a few players were. Dudek, Hyppia, Warnock, Gerrard. Garcia, Bellamy, Gonzalez, Fowler, Aurelio and Alonso = 10 1st team players. In fact only 3 of the starting 11 could be considered reserves. Arsenal did play mostly a reserve team.
    The fact of the matter is that Hyppia is past it, Gerrard should shoulder most of the blame for losing the last 2 up games and we just don't have the players despite all the money spent by Houllier and Benitez over the last 6 years.
    thegills

thegills wrote:
    This was not the reserve team - a few players were. Dudek, Hyppia, Warnock, Gerrard. Garcia, Bellamy, Gonzalez, Fowler, Aurelio and Alonso = 10 1st team players. In fact only 3 of the starting 11 could be considered reserves. Arsenal did play mostly a reserve team.
    The fact of the matter is that Hyppia is past it, Gerrard should shoulder most of the blame for losing the last 2 up games and we just don't have the players despite all the money spent by Houllier and Benitez over the last 6 years.
    thegills

first team players? Dudek hasnt played a game all season in the premiership and only featured in the Carling cup and one FA cup match. Warnock hasnt started many games at all this season.(barring Carling cup).

fowler has a handful of starts. Gonzalez came of after 20 minutes or so was it? Aurielo hasnt played alot of games either. alonso couldnt excactly do much. If your going to count him, we might aswell stick in Carragher to your list.

Lets see what Arsenal players qualify under your idea of first team players.
    Almunia - yep, spent probaly the same amount of time on the bench as dudek so hes a first teamer. Toure and Fabregas obviously.

Walcott has made a few starts and came on as a sub a good few times. So has Baptista.

Djourou has made been a bit of a regular lately. Definite first teamer. Hoyte has started the last 3 games i think in the premiership for Arsenal, a regular.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Just watching the highlights again, Paletta's performance really doesn't get any better the second time round.

Don't think Garcia was offside for Liverpools first goal by the way, and I've looked at the fourth Arsenal goal and Aliadiere was in line with Warnock so that was onside too. The linos did well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I rang Anfield last night to ask what time kick-off was at... they replied "Every 10 minutes!"

Rafa has wasted no time in making a few signings after last nights embarrassment anyway! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I rang Anfield last night to ask what time kick-off was at... they replied "Every 10 minutes!"

Deja Vue?

Only a day late. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Stekelly wrote:
    Deja Vue?

Only a day late. :)

:D Hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Yeah, thats exactly what I said Bollocko :rolleyes:

You are very well named Bollocko, because thats what you speak.

Can you read English, or do you just find it difficult to comprehend a point someone is making, or are you just slow?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

tut tut. Attacking the poster usually gets one baned

• Advertisement
Advertisement