Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Bombs Somlalia

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Can always run at them with a plank with a nail in it, that'll put the $hits up those pesky extremeists!!

Did i mention its a poison nail?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

No No No thats not what i said , I said a Special operations team

Yeah, they tried that before - didnt work out so great.
    Sand you also mentioned that to the military civilians are collateral damage in order to achieve there objective.

No, I didnt. I said civillian deaths were a terrorist objective, hence the tube train bombings or the madrid bombings and so on. Military forces do not target civillians as a rule and tend to investigate and punish those who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Sand wrote:
    Military forces do not target civillians as a rule .

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52526195&postcount=41

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Frederico

Sand wrote:

No, I didnt. I said civillian deaths were a terrorist objective, hence the tube train bombings or the madrid bombings and so on. Military forces do not target civillians as a rule and tend to investigate and punish those who do.

If you are in the military and you kill some civilians and there's a furore about it then you _may_ be investigated and _may_ be punished. The reality is, you can nearly always class it as "collateral damage" or "we were fired upon". So unless you commit a Haditha style bloodbath, then chances are you can get away with popping civilians for fun.

I forget which city it was, but some insurgents took out a US Bradley (troop tank type thing). Within a short time there was Iraqi kids and teenagers and whatnot crawling all over it, there was also an Iraqi camera crew and reporter there. About a minute later, wham, missiles started pounding the scene from a US chopper. The guy doing the report actually died of his wounds later on and there was alot of casualties. Official American military line "we were trying to stop looting", later changed to "we were fired upon".

Anyhow, the US military are pathological liars, whats new, and I can't wait till they win the war on terror - so theres no more terrorism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Sand wrote:
    Eh, no. If someone picks up a gun and starts shooting, they are no longer civillians, uniformed or otherwise.
    Yes, but they are now armed and dangerous civilians and can justifiably be shot to protect the unarmed and innocent civilians. Possesion of a gun does not make you a soldier.
    Sand wrote:
    Someone wearing a nurses uniform wouldnt be a civillian by your definition.
    facetious
    disingenuous
    Sand wrote:
    So if they sent in ground troops there would be no civillian casualties? You should memo the Iraqis, theyd be very interested in your views. Any time military action occurs, the possibility of civillian deaths approaches inevitabilty given the firepower flying around and human beings ability to make errors and/or panick. And thats just the guys who dont deliberately shoot civillians.
    A soldier operates as an aiming device for his gun as well as it's trigger mechanism. This allows the possibility of choosing not to shoot if the person at the lethal end of the barrel clearly poses no threat.

No bomb has yet been developed which can make this distinction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Sand wrote:
    Wow, lucky thing I referenced the contradiction to surgery then isnt it. Fits all the better.

In an opposing universe.

Havent they got round to putting the figure at 6.85 million yet?

I suppose so when it gets to that stage.

All theyre required to do is not to deliberately attack civillians, to only attack what they believe to be valid military targets.

NO that is not all they are required to do. Read the relevant part of the Geneva Convention.

Ah, white mans burden, version 2.0, new and more politically correct.

Ignoring it and apologizing for it ain't gonna make it go away.

So if they sent in ground troops there would be no civillian casualties? You should memo the Iraqis, theyd be very interested in your views. Any time military action occurs, the possibility of civillian deaths approaches inevitabilty given the firepower flying around and human beings ability to make errors and/or panick. And thats just the guys who dont deliberately shoot civillians.

that previously referenced quote is coming to mind again.

The other two options I can think of are a helicopter gunship in the same manner as the Israelis do things,

...because that works so well :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Sand wrote:

If your quoting the Mogadishu operation portrayed in Black hawk down , then that was actually a success according to the men who went and did it. There objective was a load of high ranking warlord staff who they catured and took. Yes they lost men but that happens in warfare. At least every shot taken was a decision by someone with eyes on knowledge of the threat in front of them. The USD does not have the right to kill civilians in a country that is not at open war with them , for the sake of keeping its own men safe. At the time there was no uproar over how many somalias died that day as there was no indiscriminite fire. That we know of.

Sand wrote:

And I said the exact opposite civilian deaths are not a terrorist objective in the larger scheme of things. Case in piont the IRA killed civialians to further the cause of of united Ireland not "just to kill civilians". The Madrid bombings where an attempt to push spain out of the conflict in iraq, which they did. As a good case in piont no more civilians in spain have been targeted by Al Queda.

The US killed 27 civiians trying to kill three bad guys in this case.

Depends on your interpretation of the end justifys the means.

Zambia232 wrote:
    If your quoting the Mogadishu operation portrayed in Black hawk down , then that was actually a success according to the men who went and did it. There objective was a load of high ranking warlord staff who they catured and took. Yes they lost men but that happens in warfare. At least every shot taken was a decision by someone with eyes on knowledge of the threat in front of them. The USD does not have the right to kill civilians in a country that is not at open war with them , for the sake of keeping its own men safe. At the time there was no uproar over how many somalias died that day as there was no indiscriminite fire. That we know of.

Nevermind that Somalia at the time was also being occupied...ie also not a good correlation.

Alleged bad guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

sovtek wrote:
    Alleged bad guys.
    Well they didn't get who they were looking for it seems:
    http://news.independent.co.uk/world/africa/article2145150.ece
    The FBI still have the main one listed as wanted too.
    I'm sure the families of the dead will take comfort in knowing they weren't deliberately killed and died in order to defend "our" freedom.

• Advertisement

sovtek wrote:
    Nevermind that Somalia at the time was also being occupied...ie also not a good correlation.

Alleged bad guys.

The corralation is merely between the use of an airborne cannon that fires either a 7.62 gatling gun or a 20mm bofors into a civilian area. Or a strike force of well trained operatives that is sent the same area to capture them.

So in answer to your question yes I dont mind that Somalia was occupied at the time.

Alleged ,,, granted I will give you the. Piont I am making is the method of dealing with the three men not their innocents or guilt.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Zambia232 wrote:
    The corralation is merely between the use of an airborne cannon that fires either a 7.62 gatling gun or a 20mm bofors into a civilian area. Or a strike force of well trained operatives that is sent the same area to capture them.

40mm bofors. Or maybe the 105mm howitzer. They have a few options.

SpecOps operations such as you advocate cannot be done on the fly as you evidently believe from watching too many Chuck Norris movies, particularly if the intelligence is time-sensitive. Have a think about just how much time and preparation is necessary to get a hit squad to a certain place without having its cover blown. An airstrike is much more feasible, and though it's easier to just drop a laser-guided 500lb bomb on the target, at least an AC-130 makes a smaller bang.
    ...because that works so well

Um.. it does. Israeli gunship strikes in the Gaza area are pretty common news items.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

that previously referenced quote is coming to mind again.

That rather irrelevant quote from a medical oath? There is a point where you will support military action, and if youre honest with yourself you will accept that civillians will probably die as a result of that military action. You may for example not support the targeting of terrorist groups in anarchic regions of Somalia but maybe you support the defence of Darfur civillians by military forces. Or maybe you dont. Your "first do no harm" dogma would simply lead to paralysis for fear of making a mistake. Nice for camping out on the high moral ground, but not much else. Not even medical practice.
    I suppose so when it gets to that stage.

Which should be about the next US presidential elections..
    If your quoting the Mogadishu operation portrayed in Black hawk down , then that was actually a success....The USD does not have the right to kill civilians in a country that is not at open war with them , for the sake of keeping its own men safe.

I'm aware that it was nominally successful, but when I was referring to it not working so great I was referring to the impact on civillians of 18 hours or so of a firefight in their neighbourhood, with automatic weapons, grenades, RPGs, helicopters crashing and gunships strafing streets. AFAIK, theres no accurate body count for either Somali militiamen or Somali civillians for that day - I've seen figures that range from the high hundreds to the low thousands. Whats practically certain is that it would be miraculous if civillians werent killed with all that firepower flying around.

Again, that particular raid was intended to be a quick in and out, but it didnt work out that way. This doesnt bode well for your concept of a team of ninjas sneaking into and out of anarchic, heavily armed Somalia without being caught. Any time, absolutely any time at all military action is carried out you have to accept civillian casualties are practically inevitable.
    And I said the exact opposite civilian deaths are not a terrorist objective in the larger scheme of things.

They are what terrorist operations seek though, to murder civillians. Sometimes military forces are targeted, but their stock in trade is people going to work, kids out shopping with their parents or families mourning their dead at rememberance cermonies. Civillians arent a valid military target. I cant really understand why people would try to claim civillians are valid military targets? My Lai was wrong because they targeted civillians, not because their overall objective (defeating the VC) was wrong.

That figure has jumped all over the shop. The Somalis are now saying that 10 fighters linked to AQ were killed [not including the 3 the US were hoping to get] and 0 civillians.
    Yes, but they are now armed and dangerous civilians and can justifiably be shot to protect the unarmed and innocent civilians. Possesion of a gun does not make you a soldier.

Good christ. Civillians have particular rights and protections in warfare. If somebody picks up a gun and takes part in a conflict, they are not a civillian. End of.
    A soldier operates as an aiming device for his gun as well as it's trigger mechanism. This allows the possibility of choosing not to shoot if the person at the lethal end of the barrel clearly poses no threat.

No bomb has yet been developed which can make this distinction.

No bullet either. Human beings still retain authority over the targeting and release of bombs though decisions tend to be based more on trust in the accuracy of provided information given the person releasing the bomb often doesnt see the target.

But soldiers with rifles can miss, they can panick, bullets can ricochet or pass through bodies and walls and hit people behind their intended target. They can make errors in judgement like the US soldiers who shot Iraqis who they thought were attacking them when they were apparently only test firing assault rifles into the air, or indeed the US football star who was apparently killed by his own unit in friendly fire in Afghanistan. You can tear their judgement to shreds after the fact, but it highlights that civillians can be killed as a result of soldiers making a bad call in the split-seconds they have to evaluate a perceived threat.

Again, do not kid yourself about the risk of civillian casualties when *any* military action occurs.

SpecOps operations such as you advocate cannot be done on the fly as you evidently believe from watching too many Chuck Norris movies, particularly if the intelligence is time-sensitive. Have a think about just how much time and preparation is necessary to get a hit squad to a certain place without having its cover blown. An airstrike is much more feasible, and though it's easier to just drop a laser-guided 500lb bomb on the target, at least an AC-130 makes a smaller bang.

So what your saying is the US killed 27 innocents or (non proved combatants) because killing the correct three was just too hard.

Your flippancy is misplaced in this we all know if you dropped Chuck Norris in Somalia there would not be a tick left alive till you reached the Border to Kenya. :p

I do not percieve to know the time it takes for a special operations team to get to a location. if it takes to long then the target should go free, till they are in a position to do so.

I refuse to believe that you should kill innocents just because they are standing near someone who some goverment believes deserving of summary execution. These 27 people may have 2 parents (54) possibly at least one sibling (54+27= 81). So they have in one attack created 81 possible further terrorists.

If the British goverment killed 27 Irish citizens in an attempt to kill three suspected IRA members what would the result be worldwide, never mind just in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I don't think America acts out of greed or evil like alot of posters here seem to be suggesting. I half agree with the person who said that the war is for two reasons, oil and a war on Islam, perhaps it is a war on Islam, Radical Islam for sure anyways but America hasn't got Oil from Iraq in over 10 years and still isn't getting Oil from Iraq, Of Course I'd imagine that will change if the region changes but I don't think it was the whole driving point of the war. As for Islam, they compare non-Islams to cows and justify the murder of non-Islams in Islamic regions simply for not sharing their beliefs..I think the word if Kufour, in honesty I saw that a long time ago and am a little to busy at the moment to look it up.
    Anyhow I beleive the majority of Americans and yes even most in the U.S goverment are good people who are doing what they think is right for the world and I for one am greatful, because if they don't do it I don't think anybody will

I think this link is a tell of how American people are, their caring compasionate people, I don't think many other countrymen would bond together as well as American did during the attack on 9/11 and the memorys this audio stirs up reminds me why 'preemptive' strikes against Terrorists, like the one in Somolia are justified: http://www.mancow.com/pg/jsp/charts/streamingAudioMaster.jsp?dispid=302&headerDest=L3BnL2pzcC9tZWRpYS9mbGFzaHdlbGNvbWUuanNwP3BpZD0yNjk1JnBsYXlsaXN0PXRydWUmY2hhcnR0eXBlPWNoYXJ0JmNoYXJ0SUQ9MzAyJnBsYXlsaXN0U2l6ZT05MA==&size=90

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Of note, the 7th World Social Forum will be held from January 20 to 25, in Nairobi, Kenya.

The Americans attacking Somalia are Kenya based.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Zambia232 wrote:
    I refuse to believe that you should kill innocents just because they are standing near someone who some goverment believes deserving of summary execution. These 27 people may have 2 parents (54) possibly at least one sibling (54+27= 81). So they have in one attack created 81 possible further terrorists.

If the British goverment killed 27 Irish citizens in an attempt to kill three suspected IRA members what would the result be worldwide, never mind just in Ireland?

Those are two very good points.

Back in the rather innocent days of my Junior Cert, about 2001, I remember a history teacher (speaking of the IRA during the Irish War of Independence) saying 'guerilla warfare is the hardest method to beat, and it is also the most unreliable for victory'. You can interconvert the the words guerrila warfare and terrorism, they are one and the same.
    Now if a middle aged history teacher can teach that to a classroom of yawning 14 year old boys, why can the most advanced military in the world not realise it?

From the Cold war to Iraq, Afghanistan to Vietnam, The USA has a shocking record of creating trouble for themselves. They are keeping true to form with Somalia. If there were ten men in the region who wanted to shoot an American before, there must be a hundred now. Nobody likes the warmonger. They will never realize this as long as they continue their offensive tactics on irrelevant nations.

When the last thread on Somalia began I said that I believed the USA would realize their culpability in the fighting in Somalia and true to form they would either ignore it completely or push for UN Peacekeepers to be sent to the region, especially after the "government" took control. Did anyone expect them to start bombing Somalis?
    They hadn't even began indicating a significant enough Al Qaeda presence there to justify bombing. They are still doing nothing to prevent the flow of arms into Somalia, particularly across the Gulf of Aden. Is it not obvious how this is a disaster waiting to happen? Is it not asking for trouble?

As far as I am aware, the last time the USA had significant dealings with Somalia (after Somalia actually came to the UN looking for help) was to blandly vote for the 1992 resolutions and demanded it would not be followed up with a peacekeeping-security presence.
    Now on the otherhand, they are pushing in the military, and doing nothing diplomatic whatsoever about those on the ground! It seems to be law without order or else order with no law.

Why did they initially reject the idea of sending in active peacekeepers?
    Too expensive. Save face. War with Iraq was bloody
    Why are they bombing the place now instead of promoting diplomacy?
    Too expensive. Save face. War with Iraq was bloody

I think it's well overdue that Americans who are too lazy to realize what is going on with regard to their own foreign policy woke up and stopped being taken for fools, to be blunt. That that is an overly-optimistic thing to even desire about that country.
    Originally posted by wompa1
    As for Islam, they compare non-Islams to cows and justify the murder of non-Islams in Islamic regions simply for not sharing their beliefs

I wonder what the possibility of boards installing an automated reply to these statements are?
    I have never hard of a Muslim refer to anyone of another religion (well maybe a particularly obstinate female) as "a cow". In fact in Al-Baqara, a chapter of the Qur'an which translates as "The Cow" we are assured that Christians and Jews who believe in the last day and do good deeds should have no fears of Allah. This forum is hardly for theology, interested though I just know you are. So the Qur'an is available here for your benefit and there is an article on Kafir here.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Wompa1 wrote:
    America hasn't got Oil from Iraq in over 10 years and still isn't getting Oil from Iraq,
    Ever hear of the "Oil for Food" program? The last oil out of Iraq before the 2003 invasion went to American customers.

Wompa1 wrote:
    I think this link is a tell of how American people are, their caring compasionate people, I don't think many other countrymen would bond together as well as American did during the attack on 9/11 and the memorys this audio stirs up reminds me why 'preemptive' strikes against Terrorists, like the one in Somolia are justified: QUOTE]

I do not dispute the caring nature of american people and i also have no problem with america taking pre-emptive action to eliminate its ememys. I in no way am an anti-war activist.

However imagine if Somalia went out brought a Gunship flew over a small town in Ohio and unleashed a wave of cannon fire killing 27 citizens and justified it by saying that three residents where feverant anti-Somalians. Oh and then justify it by saying did not trust the Ohio authoritys to arrest the three suspects.

As for saying that many other countrymen wouldnt bond like America did. Lets hope more countries are not put to the test like it.

I took the time to listen to this broadcast.

By the way what sort of a DJ is this minutes after the first plane crashs this twat plays the chilli peppers "Music is my Aeroplane".

Advertisement