Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment for disabled?

Options
  • 09-01-2007 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what organisations assist people with disabilities in securing emplyment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 petamour.com

Check out...

Workways
    Learningpoint.ie - this was just launched by the Wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Also the National Training and Development Institute offer courses where disabled people can gain skills. Not sure if they do work placements though, but I am sure that they would know who do.

http://www.rehab.ie/nln/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Try

http://www.accessability.ie
    Louise Milicevic Access Ability Gandon Villa Sandymount Dublin 4

Tel: 01 2057306 Fax: 01 2057219
    Email louise.milicevic@accessibility.ie

She has very useful contacts to real not just chief stamp-licker positions!

Also apply to disability organisations for jobs also. Believe it or not they have a serious lack of disabled applicants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

If employers over here recognised the value of home based workers it would make a big difference to the situation.

The fact is there are plenty of highly qualified people with disabilities (like myslf) who would be very capable of working (and getting off state benefit), if employers took the time to research the benefit of having some home-based workers.

B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

If employers over here recognised the value of home based workers it would make a big difference to the situation.

The fact is there are plenty of highly qualified people with disabilities (like myslf) who would be very capable of working (and getting off state benefit), if employers took the time to research the benefit of having some home-based workers.

B

A lot would depend on the nature of the work and whether you would have to attend office meetings etc...

I have a friend with a disability who is able to work 3 or 4 days a week from home, but who needs to go into the office once or twice a week to meet clients.

Personally, I would find it very hard to stay motivated if I worked from home. However, if it's the only option (for physical and/or other reasons), then I'm sure certain employers would be flexible and arrange something?

ctrlsource,
    Personally, I have a fully equipped home office, an entire room with more equipment (and higher standard equipment), than you would find in most offices. I am highly trained in a variety of areas and consider myself a highly competant potential employee.

Obviously the ability to stay motivated would have to be assessed by any interviewer, personally Im somone who tends to keep going with anything I start till the bitter end, and I in all my previous work, never missed a single deadline.

As for attending meetings, the main problem (for wheelchair users), is the lack of available public transport.
    Dublin Bus are in the process of changing their fleet to wheelchair accessible, but as they neglected to choose new routes based on any kinds of needs assessment, it is very hit and miss.
    In most cases the areas who have people in dire need of transport, are overlooked in favour of areas of "light usage" ("Light usage = under two wheelchair return users per week) as they many have only a single bus to place on that route. As they only "retire" their non-accessible buses every 7 years, its unlikely there will be total coverage in Dublin till 2010 at least. (More likely estimate is 2011-2012).

There is a solution though, there is a service called "Vantastic!" and "LDAG" who provide wheelchair accesible transport. However they charge taxi rates and this would have to be included in any wage assesment depending on how often the employer would wish the employee to attend the office.

Either way, the employer gains a valuable worker, who takes up no office space, uses no office resources as such, and most studies show that home based workers have a much higher production rate than in house employees.
    They also tend to be better at paying attention to detail as they have no office "distraction".

B

Sounds like you've a good setup there!

Transport is always a challenge. Because of the lack of accessible buses in my area, I ended up having to fork out on a car loan. When I started with my current employer, I used to make my way 2 miles to the Stillorgan Road in my chair to catch the 46A to work, because my local route was (and still is) using the older style double-deckers. I'd then have about a 15 minute 'walk' to the office. Total travelling time was about 1 hr, 45 mins, which included waiting for a bus.

The mornings weren't so bad, but repeating it late in the evenings when tired was a killer. Taxis were an occasional luxury, but the vans were starting to become thin on the ground too (this was in 2003). I stuck the commute for about 3 months before I went and got my own car. Only recently however, have I been in a position to get a vehicle that actually meets my needs and now I'm finally fully mobile :)

Do you live in an area where there would be companies / potential employers located nearby, like in the CC?

It's great that you're the type who would maintain productivity at home. I'd be okay for a while (and for as long as the work interested me), but I'd probably get bored. I also thrive on the social contact of the workplace. Each to their own...

Unfortunately I live in the only part of Clondalkin that isnt covered by an accessible bus yet and taxi's would be my only option. And they are extremely unreliable (when looking for a wheelchair one), and too expensive.

The only potential jobs nearby are in shops, and while at this point, id be happy to work in any shop, very few have accessible *staff* areas.

I used to work in the city center, temple bar to be exact. I had to get a train into heuston at 6am then "walk" from heuston station to temple bar to work.
    Total travelling time 3 hours, mostly by "arm power"! ;)

In the end, I had arms like hulk hogan but was constantly exhausted. After three years I began using an electric wheelchair, but the problem was most of them can only travel 6 miles (being realistic 5), a day between a 9 hour charge.
    I would have needed twice that between travelling, working, and travelling home.
    There were nights when just as I was getting home my battery would run out 100m away from the house, leaving me stranded and having to phone a taxi or ask a member of the public for assistance (Very embarrasing).

Just makes me angry that home based workers are not seen as an option in this country.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

i think your local fas office may also have some adivce about government supports etc offered.

• Advertisement

Just makes me angry that home based workers are not seen as an option in this country.

I don't know much about working full time from home, but I know people who work part of, or even the majority of their week from home.

Have you discussed this issue with a potential employer in an interview situation and got a negative response? What makes you think it's not an option?

I took this from the FÁS newsletter. It might be of some use, hopefully.
    A......FÁS eCollege. While it was emphasised that remote learning requires planning and self discipline and may not suit everyone, the flexible nature of training delivery would suit many people, not least those with disabilities. FÁS is examining how tutorial support for trainees can be facilitated and when in place, it hopefully will remove the final barrier deterring disabled people from accessing this mode of learning with FÁS.

Training fees for FÁS eCollege are waived for trainees in receipt of a disability income. The courses range from the basic to the advanced, covering such areas as business studies, IT and computer applications, Personal Development etc. More information is available at www.ecollege.ie or by telephone at (01) 2043600.

I know this crowd in based in Mayo, but they might be able to lead you in the right direction.
    Irish Assocation of Supported Employment (IASE)
    IASE is a national voluntary organisation which was established in February 1994 with the aim of promoting and developing supported employment throughout Ireland.
    For further information on IASE, please contact Sarah Togher, Development Officer, IASE, Muing, Belmullet, Co. Mayo, Tel: 097 82894 / 086 8173631 or online at www.iase.ie

Ive spoken to most of the "employment for people with disabilities" orgs, including the various people in Fas.
    And what I find is that all they are really interested in doing, is getting people into "supported employment" which is all well and good for some, thing is, I dont need or want Supported Employment, aside from anything else, think of how that would look to another potential employer "was helped by fas to find supported employment"
    whatever you may say about that, there are many employers who would see that in a potentially negative way.

It is also very well known in the community sector that these orgs *sometimes* want "bums on seats" in their "courses" so that they will get another years funding to keep themselves in employment.

I feel, (and maybe its my arrogance or ego at work), that that undermines my training and ability. No matter how Un-PC it is to say that, its how I see it.
    I dont see why I should compromise my mainstream working ability by having to go the "disabled employee who needs experience" route.

The simple plain truth is I have lots of experience and academic qualifications in the areas I want to work in, and I'm more than willing and capable to do any training that is required of me or any other applicant. (I always have been, I bet I'm one of the very few wheelchair users who actually have a diploma in Manual Handling (How to lift and manipulate heavy or difficult objects properly and safely) from working in retail and then working in one of the caring professions, included in my various training LOL . ;)

Problem is, their definition of same seems to mean getting an employer to take you on as almost a favor to the org, or "for experience" or sending you on some training scheme which you really don't require or want.

Not all of us are into that. I have a degree I worked hard to get and do I want to waste 6 months getting a qualification I dont want, or (in most cases need) by taking a FAS run "pre-employment course" that will teach me such things such as, (and I quote), "how to tell your employer what you want"....

Nope, ....I spent years traveling the country giving workshops to potential employers about how they could make their services more disability-friendly. And now, its these organizations who claim to do that.

As I say, fine for some who wants it or needs it, but I spent 9 years teaching people with disabilities how to get what they want from their employers and skill sets. Its not something I want or need to be taught as, having done all that for so long already, it has no relevance to me at this stage.

It just sometimes seems to me that most of the "get a job for a disabled person" orgs and services are hauled out as a "cover-all" when a person with a disability is job-hunting.

(Just as a side-note, have a look sometime at how many actual people with disabilities are employed *by* the organization itself in key roles, tends to be few or none).

A lot of us are reasonably well educated, responsible and highly capable workers and dont want to go through the "special person" route and get it on our own merits using mainstream methods.

Its almost like saying, an able-bodied student leaves school and gets a temporary part time job in McDonald's for a while, but a wheelchair using student should leave college and then have to go through months of "pre-employment training" so they can have some disability organization try to find him or her the same job.

B

(If you are thinking I have a "chip on my shoulder" you may be right. I do resent not having the same employment opportunities as my peers, having gone through the exact same education process as them.
    But its not, a "pride" issue. I am educated, capable and unlike everyone I know, cannot find even the most basic of jobs. I would be more then willing to work at a shop checkout, or answering phones if the option was offered to me and was nearby, (unfortunately it is not).
    And, I would also be more than happy to work at any other area I was qualified to work in and be appropriately trained by said company along with their other employees).

Well...! :D

You make a several interesting arguments there. I agree with most of what you said about the employment orgs. It sounds like you have more experience dealing with them than I do, but even though I'm no expert, a lot of what you said resonated with my impression of them. Especially what you mentioned about "bums on seats". I know a few people who are in 'supported jobs' and can't help feeling that they're selling themselves short or have been sold short by those who have supposedly tried to help them into positions of employment.

Regarding your own situation, you sound well trained and capable! I am a bit confused therefore as to why you would be more than happy to take basically anything, as long as it's nearby. Earlier in your post you talked about not wanting to take something in the 'supported employment' line because it would undermine your skills, qualifications and past job experience. Would taking a menial job at this stage not be selling yourself a bit short in a similar way? Sure, it would pay a few bills and there's nothing wrong with working at a checkout, but what you have detailed about your own situation seems to indicate that you are rightly looking for a bigger challenge!

Without knowing you, it's hard to understand why someone who is articulate, apparently skilled and motivated hasn't been snapped-up by some company. It may be that, for various reasons (you mentioned transport and access to staff facilities in a previous post), working in an office environment would be challenging for you geographically and/or physically.

Have you talked to a recruitment agency in your area?

When I read: "I do resent not having the same employment opportunities as my peers, having gone through the exact same education process as them.", my first reaction was "He's wrong. The Ireland of today doesn't allow for any employer to discriminate on the grounds of disability." But then I thought about it and about all the people I know of, have known in the past, who have not been afforded the same opportunities as their able bodied peers. Then I pondered the times when I've detected prejudice, however subtle, in my own career. Basically, I can see where you're coming from and the chip on your shoulder, if there is one, is understandable (I'm sure it's not really a chip, more of a little shadow based on life's experience ;))

So yeah, a good recruiter, who will listen to your needs / aspirations and maybe get your CV out there with the right people?

CtrlSource wrote:

Regarding your own situation, you sound well trained and capable! I am a bit confused therefore as to why you would be more than happy to take basically anything, as long as it's nearby.

Oh I would be very excited if I had an offer that was in an area I enjoy. Unfortunately my reality dictates that while I can only work from home, here in Ireland, this is unlikely.
    So yep, I would basically take anything if it was nearby / from home, pretty much because I cannot afford to be choosy anymore. Im living way below the so-called "poverty line" and barely have enough money each week to cover groceries. I haven't even been able to afford to buy myself an outdoor jacket in 2 years, I'm still using one that was bought for me by a relative as a gift for a family function in 2004. For basically the last 5+ years my idea of "a treat" money-wise has meant buying myself a second hand pda from adverts.ie......

Thats my reality for now, and I accept it, and continue to survive within its boundries, but yes, I would definitely love the opportunity to change it.
    Unfortunately, until employers in this country recognize the value of home based workers, this is unlikely to happen.

(Oh, and yes, I have sent out many CV's and have had to turn down a number of offers due to location. Had I had access to accessible public transport this may not have been the case).

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

The following info from today's Activelink.ie email bulletin might be of interest;

Paid mentored work placements for graduates with disabilities (Dublin) *

AHEAD, in partnership with other organisations is currently running an EU EQUAL Community funded initiative, WAM - The Willing Able Mentoring Project. This is a three year pilot project seeking to identify and challenge the barriers facing graduates with disabilities entering employment.

The placements are primarily Dublin based and are scheduled to start in May 2007.
    Final closing dates for applications for placements is the 15th February.

http://www.activelink.ie/ce/active.php?id=3957

(i know the closing date has passed for the above - but you never know)
    As part of the project, paid mentored work placements of 6 months duration are being offered in partner companies (Civil Service, HOK, BOI, IBM, FAS, Irish Life.

The Wam Project,
    AHEAD,
    Anglesea House,
    63 Carysfort Ave,
    Blackrock, County Dublin. Tel: 01-2789325, email: niamh-hayes@ahead.ie
    Final closig dates for applications is the 15th February.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Maybe explain to people who are not familiar with the WAM project what it entails. Not everyone would be aware of who is elligable etc. For example it's only open to graduates with disabilities.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

WHERE: THE MORRISSON HOTEL, Ormond Quay, D2.

WHEN: Wednesday 14th March 2007

TIME: 2.00 p.m. – 6.00 p.m.

Graduates with disabilities interested in participating in the WAM Mentored Work Placement Programme are invited to attend this up coming RECRUITMENT EVENT. Attendants will get the opportunity to liaise directly with the project team and chat with participating employers regarding the scope of the Placement Programme and their general company profile of career opportunities. All of this will take place in a friendly encouraging environment as this recruitment event is specifically targeted at graduates with disabilities seeking to gain first hand paid mainstream work experience.

There will also be workshops throughout the course of the afternoon focusing on CV preparation and interview skills and techniques. So if you have already registered your interest in the WAM Placement Programme come along to learn more about the opportunities this project may have for you. If you have not registered yet you are welcome to join us and make sure to bring an up-to-date CV with you.

Placement Details

The WAM Project is working with Irish employers to provide unique work opportunities for graduates with disabilities during 2007. This exciting initiative is supporting major Irish employers to positively embrace diversity and benefit from the qualifications and skills of graduates with disabilities.

The WAM Project is offering graduates the opportunity to apply for a paid mentored work placement for up to six months in one of the six partner companies listed above.

If you are a recent graduate with a disability looking for practical work experience in a work placement programme during 2007 then contact the WAM Project for more details: Tel: 01 278 9325

niamh.hayes@ahead.ie

(If you have any questions regarding the project in general or application for Round 2 of the WAM Work Placement Programme please do not hesitate to contact us; Tel; (01) 2789325 email; niamh.hayes@ahead.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lushballs

Hope this is approriate for this thread. Had an interview recently for a job in the Disability Sector. It was evidence based interviewing. At the end they asked if I had any other info that i would like them to know. I said that I had a disability myself (may not be obvious when initially meeting someone). At this point I was told 'that does not concern us here'. 'If you want to pursue this somewhere else'. I was taken aback and apologisesd immediately.
    I had wanted to say that having a disability myself gave me some additional knowledge, insight and experience that would add to my skills in the area. I have lots of experience and the requested qualifications for the job. I was ambivalent about bringing up the issue and have never mentioned it in previous interviews. But I thought/felt it was relevant to the job. The job was created from legislation from the Disability Act 2005 which states that 3% of employees should be hired from the Disability sector. Is this mixed messages? And have I sabotaged my chance of getting the job? I am open to discussion around this for my own learning and personal awareness. Thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

lushballs wrote:
    Hope this is approriate for this thread. Had an interview recently for a job in the Disability Sector. It was evidence based interviewing. At the end they asked if I had any other info that i would like them to know. I said that I had a disability myself (may not be obvious when initially meeting someone). At this point I was told 'that does not concern us here'. 'If you want to pursue this somewhere else'. I was taken aback and apologisesd immediately.
    I had wanted to say that having a disability myself gave me some additional knowledge, insight and experience that would add to my skills in the area. I have lots of experience and the requested qualifications for the job. I was ambivalent about bringing up the issue and have never mentioned it in previous interviews. But I thought/felt it was relevant to the job. The job was created from legislation from the Disability Act 2005 which states that 3% of employees should be hired from the Disability sector. Is this mixed messages? And have I sabotaged my chance of getting the job? I am open to discussion around this for my own learning and personal awareness. Thx

It sounds like they felt (rightly or wrongly) that you were bringing up the issue of your disablity to get extra points/credits. Equality is a double-edged sword. You would rightly expect to compete on your own merit against people who don't have disabilities. Therefore, you can't expect to get extra credits solely for having a disability.

They may well have missed your point that your knowledge, insights & experience would have been useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

hi FADECIL, which is the Fingal awareness for disability and equality , center for independent living ,try golden pages may be able to put you in the right direction. Although yr not Fingal, they are a lovely bunch of people and I am sure will help.
    Cathy

Advertisement