Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make a book using Word

Options
  • 09-01-2007 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Has anyone information or tips on how to create a brochure or booklet using Microsoft Word?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Like a tri fold brochure or something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Microsoft Publisher is your best bet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

dont use either of those if you want them printed, its gonna have to be redone anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭sdssarah

use adobe indesign, it will make your job and the printers ten times easier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

inDesign is an expensive professional program and is not really for newbies. Commercial printers usually accept inDesign, Pagemaker, Quark xPress docs for page layout and Photoshop/Illustratorfor graphics. These are out of the range of amateurs so the solution is to conver to PDF format.

There are programs which let you convert documents to PDF format which can then be used as is by commercial printers

Can you tell us exactly what form of booklet you want to design and we can then help you.

Ball in your court

• Advertisement

just keep in mind, any graphics from the likes of publisher will be unsuitable for print. You'd probably be better to just write it in word or a plain text format and get the printers or a prepress house to set it for you in a professional package. Don't convert to pdf, i see it every day and it always looks crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

What are the downsides to converting to pdf ?

We've been told to stay away from inDesign as most printers will 'laugh at you' if we present files to them in inDesign. I'm trying to learn it in my spare time outside of my studies, the joys of our education system, eh ?

i know what you mean, the lack of indesign capable printers here is a joke! but what I was getting at, is use indesign and convert to pdf from that, rather than from word, that way colours can be assigned properly, also so can bleeds etc (less applicable to books). Publisher is a nightmare and should be avoided at all costs, images will only be 72dpi for starters.

The pdf format itself is fine, what matters is where the files originated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

*wipes sweat from brow*

Was getting worried there for a while !

Advertisement