Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple iphone!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Eh wont the screen get filthy with your fingers having to touch it all the time, not to mentioned how scratched its going to get? This will all mean it'll probably have to be a protective case permanently which will end up making it unwieldy. Sorry for being negative but I'm just being realistic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

It might not do anything new, but it is revolutionary.

Name me one other device that is handheld, is a phone, has wifi (a/b), bluetooth 2.0, 4 or 8gig hard drive and is actually good looking and slim?

Read this also

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/revolutionary

I do however agree that it will go the way of the original iPod. Scratch. Scratch. Scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

The full screen display naturally has to come to the ipod. Coverflow on an ipod.. nice. :)
    Question is...when!
    Whoever are supplying the screens no doubt have a contract for something like 10m+, but adding full screen display to the ipod will take some of the thunder from the iphone launch in june...but public outcry may force their hand a bit?? Its a toughie.
    I want storage space.. 100GB full screen ipod!
    Toshiba (or someone, can't remember) has just unveiled the 1/8th" 100GB drive so its a matter of time.. seeing the fabled full screen pod style is going to make a lot of ipod upgraders impatient!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It's about time somebody took the step to integrate these things into 1 item. It can only get better. For me that would mean:

80GB, not 8;)

I wonder is it possible to have Sat Nav on it as it is now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Eh wont the screen get filthy with your fingers having to touch it all the time, not to mentioned how scratched its going to get? This will all mean it'll probably have to be a protective case permanently which will end up making it unwieldy. Sorry for being negative but I'm just being realistic

Yes. Because all the Engineers in Apple testing the phone for months didn't notice theirs getting scratched, or fingerprinted :rolleyes: There was an article 3 years ago about a UK company who invented a clear liquid that hardened on CD surfaces, on LCDs, and on touchscreens - it hardened to be almost an unscratchable surface, and co-incidentally, Apple bought a lot of this company immediately. Whether or not this tech makes it into the iPhone, who knows? But don't you think Apple will realise this is going to be going in and out of pockets, getting scratched by denim rivets, coins, etc? They'll surely have come up with either replaceable transfers over the screen, or a permenant solution.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

ned78 wrote:
    Yes. Because all the Engineers in Apple testing the phone for months didn't notice theirs getting scratched, or fingerprinted :rolleyes:

Well, going by all the ipods to date, scratching is a major issue.

Anyway, I do have the same concern as stevic, the lack of tactile buttons... I don't see it being a problem for dialing really, but texting could be a nightmare - that said I'd have to wait and see tbh - going by using pictochat on the NDS (the closest comparison I have), it will be a bit labourious, but maybe bigger keys and finger (rather than stylus) control will improve that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭wanabe

i want one now!

flogen wrote:
    Well, going by all the ipods to date, scratching is a major issue.

To be fair to Apple, the iPod is designed to be left in a pocket, it doesn't have a touchscreen interface. I'm sure they've thought of something for this. For the record, I'm not sure about texting either, I'm a lighting fast T9 texter, but I also bought a Bluetooth Laser Keyboard for sh*ts and giggles, it's very uncomfortable tapping against a flat unmoving desk surface, and I'm sure the surface of the iPhone will be the same.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Here is what the market thinks of it all (mak'e sense if you look at it today 9th jan)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

any pictures of this from it's side view?

• Advertisement

Yup, on apple.com/iphone, along with interactive demos of how conference calling works, etc. There's a qwerty keyboard for texting, which corrects mistakes. Neat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Think secret say that o2 got the Rokr phones and will proably get this phone aswell.

Well, buying the phone in the States might not be such a good idea anyway. First of all, Apple are releasing the phone with Cingular initially, and with a 2 year contract. Secondly, and I'm out of date on this stuff, I believe the States uses EDGE broadband, whereas here we use UMTS. So there will probably be different transceivers in the phones themselves.

I'd buy Sim Free (If poss), and in Asia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

ned78 wrote:
    Yes. Because all the Engineers in Apple testing the phone for months didn't notice theirs getting scratched, or fingerprinted :rolleyes: There was an article 3 years ago about a UK company who invented a clear liquid that hardened on CD surfaces, on LCDs, and on touchscreens - it hardened to be almost an unscratchable surface, and co-incidentally, Apple bought a lot of this company immediately. Whether or not this tech makes it into the iPhone, who knows? But don't you think Apple will realise this is going to be going in and out of pockets, getting scratched by denim rivets, coins, etc? They'll surely have come up with either replaceable transfers over the screen, or a permenant solution.

Oh yeah just like they did with the Nano otherwise known as the iScratch

Still want one though!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭storka

Maybe i'm making this up ut i'm nearly sure i read somewhere that they would be sim free so that they can be sold freely worldwide?!?

storka wrote:
    Maybe i'm making this up ut i'm nearly sure i read somewhere that they would be sim free so that they can be sold freely worldwide?!?

So far US prices have been based on 2 year contracts. I would imagine, like all phones, you will be able to buy them Sim Free, at a premium. I couldn't care. I'd gladly pay up to 800 quid for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'd like to see the sim free price if that's the bill pay 2-year contract price they are quoting?

any bids for over €1000?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

ned78 wrote:
    Well, buying the phone in the States might not be such a good idea anyway. First of all, Apple are releasing the phone with Cingular initially, and with a 2 year contract. Secondly, and I'm out of date on this stuff, I believe the States uses EDGE broadband, whereas here we use UMTS. So there will probably be different transceivers in the phones themselves.

I'd buy Sim Free (If poss), and in Asia.

The phone is GSM. It will work over here. Meteor use EDGE for GPRS in most major cities now, soon to be rolled out nationwide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Oh its the Apple one :(

chrislad wrote:
    The phone is GSM. It will work over here. Meteor use EDGE for GPRS in most major cities now, soon to be rolled out nationwide.

I thought the States was primarily PCN1900 Chris? If the phone is Triband, then it's not a problem. I haven't read if it's dual, or tri band yet.

• Advertisement

Its quad band. Nice if it were used with a package like 3's x-series. Oh wait it doesn't have 3G :(
    Though by the time its out here there will probably be cosmetic changes and inclusion of 3G for european market. possibly..
    By the time it comes out for xmas 07 other networks should have an unlimited data plan "answer" to 3's upcoming xseries... we live in hope.
    Keynote up now on apple site btw:
    http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/j47d52oo/event/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Nice phone, but it wont be as successful as everyone points out. It NEEDS better battery life and the 5/16 hours quoted by Apple are optimistic. Most phones now can go for a week. Plus, as usual us here in Europe will get shafted with prices, so you can forget about buying it contract/sim free unless you are willing to spend closer to €1k.

I guarantee you by the time June rolls around Nokia will have a similar new phone on the market to compete. They will not go quietly. And it will be cheaper.

Elessar wrote:
    Nice phone, but it wont be as successful as everyone points out. It NEEDS better battery life and the 5/16 hours quoted by Apple are optimistic. Most phones now can go for a week.

To be honest, most top end phones don't go for too long either. I'm lucky to get a day and a half out of my n93, and I used to be delighted with a day on my n90
    Elessar wrote:
    I guarantee you by the time June rolls around Nokia will have a similar new phone on the market to compete. They will not go quietly. And it will be cheaper.

I've lost all faith in Nokia. I've been using Nokia since 96, and have gone through 40 handsets. My n93 is the most expensive phone I've had, and Nokia have abandoned it with dodgy firmware, and no sign of updates. Plus, they've released the Nokia n93 which now seems to be their Bug Fix, nice eh?

I like premium phones, and I will wait for the 3G version of this. Price wise, it won't be a whole lot more than what the n93 was when it was first launched and Sim Free too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Whats the actual standby time of the phone?

Just watching the keynote.
    There are plans to make variations in models tp have 3G etc. Jobs said it himself while talking about the phone functions.

Quote:
    "We plan to make 3G phones and all sorts of other things in the future...."

Sounds good. HSDPA hopefully by the time it rolls around here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

3G in the same form factor? For whatever reason, 3G phones tend to be a lot thicker than 2G phones and suck juice like nothing else.

I can't say I'm too bothered with convergence. Right now it's a lot cheaper to buy two devices and they each have a user interface optimized for their specific purpose. That said, I would think the touchscreen is probably the only realistic way to make it all work on the one device so Apple is probably onto a good thing.

3G will make zero diff to form factor. look at the new 3G handsets from Samsung etc they are super thin. THey are not as fat/heavy as they used to be. True a lot of 3G smartphones in Ireland are still big but its not indicitive of the world market for 3G handsets..

Using any data factor heavily will suck juice.
    I just hope there is a removable battery though it doesn't look likely.
    It would need a 1600mA batt min I'd say..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,695 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

damo86 wrote:
    "i don't think its that revolutionary" ...jeez your picky,defo my next phone.its STUNNING,defo will have to get an iskin or something for that.

"i think Sony will offer serious competition"...me arse!!!

No doubt Apples marketing is in overdrive , after years of serious misfiring through the ninties -- and many will be lured to buy the iphone -- but value for money today -- i think i will be sticking to my Sony --

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

ned78 wrote:
    To be fair to Apple, the iPod is designed to be left in a pocket, it doesn't have a touchscreen interface.

From my own ipod experience, my pocket is going to do 100 times more damage than my hands... I'm sure there'll be cases for it, but just like with the ipod, it defeats the purpose somewhat (and it might infringe a little on the touch-capabilities in this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icemanjimbo04

chrislad wrote:
    It might not do anything new, but it is revolutionary.

Name me one other device that is handheld, is a phone, has wifi (a/b), bluetooth 2.0, 4 or 8gig hard drive and is actually good looking and slim?

Nokia N80, Has all these features with only 2gb memory card available.
    Ok its not all that slim but its not as long as this phone looks.

Its looks like it was made for me aul man, with big huge icons to navigate the menu, and a full keyboard would take ages to txt.

Im sure you could put movies on it and it would be great, but with a 2mp camera pics taken from this phone would look crap on such a clear screen.

Just doesnt do it for me.
    Just gona wait for me Nokia N95 I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement