Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple iphone!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I would say yes Cormie, it's running OSX, so it just needs someone to port an app, and have a Bluetooth GPS receiver in your car/backpack.

The reason it only has 8 gigs, is because it's not using a Hard Drive, it's using Flash Memory, so no moving parts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

This just in... it also makes tea... barrys tea (on the o2 network).

I'm sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

ned78 wrote:
    What part of your body did you pull this Statistic out of? I'm guessing it's your ass.

Play nice, ned78.

Sorry Pythia, I just get ... frustrated when people make arguments with absolutely no basis, and expect them to be received as Gospel. I keep forgetting I'm only an admin on my own site, not here ... :D

ned78 wrote:
    Sorry Pythia, I just get ... frustrated when people make arguments with absolutely no basis, and expect them to be received as Gospel. I keep forgetting I'm only an admin on my own site, not here ... :D

np

That phone does look mighty sexy.
    Might make an investment myself. Compared to anything else on the market, it's streets ahead.

• Advertisement

Pythia wrote:
    Might make an investment myself. Compared to anything else on the market, it's streets ahead.

I hear you! Perhaps us Boardsies should group buy them ... once a 3G model has been announced of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Here's a question that nobody seems to have thought about: Does it come with a radio? A MAJOR ommission if it doesn't.

You could stream radio... on an unlimited data plan of course, which should be more of a reality here come xmas '07.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,316 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Looks like a cool device, and really good to see a device which trys to take some big steps forward. I think it does have a few problems though. I think its more a pda style than a phone, it's going to be expensive plus it's tied into to the apple ipod itunes closed system. I'd say it will be a sucess with people wanting it and hopefully it will lead to some smaller form devices with similar features both from apple and other makers.

The one thing that could be revolutionary is the user interface, really looks easy and clever, other than that though I can't see anything that would make me want to spend a lot of money on it. It's just too big, the screen is nice, but i wouldn't mind a smaller screen if the device could be smaller, the resolutions probably okay but really would like a higher resolution screen, after owning an ipod i grew to hate itunes and the ipod way of managing music, just not for me.

Anybody else think it looks like an axim x50? might be a good upgrade from the axim if you want a phone feature, but then the axim is a more open platform.

I disagree with others that say the battery life aint good, battery life sounds at least average for this type of device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭mollser

Personally, I can't stand the idolisation of Apple everytime they bring out a new product. Although the iPhone is a very swanky product, I think it falls down on 2 crucial areas.

Heres a Sony that does pretty much everything that the iPhone does, was launched last Feb, so almost a year before Apple.

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/sonyericsson-w950-en.shtml

2 things lacking with iPhone:

Ability to control with one hand
    FM Radio

I will be getting a SE950 some day! :)

• Advertisement

mollser wrote:

Jaysus, I dunno. With the 'video' capabilities, I'd say there'd be more than a few lonely Sales Reps in Hotel rooms mastering the iPhone with one hand :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

NYTimes as a hands on with the iPhone here http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/01/09/some-hands-on-time-with-the-iphone/
    Looks like finger marks on the scren wont be a huge problem.Also anyone else having touble streaming the iPhone intoduction from the apple website.It keeps saying try later.Anywhere else i can watch it?

(Read the last bullet point. Now thats dumb! and if third party software vendors are not able to write for the platform now, thats not very smart either... I can't see it happening... or can it? )

From Engadget:

And the reality slowly sets in about what the iPhone is and is not. Noted analyst and Engadget pal Michael Gartenberg stated that the iPhone is first party software ONLY -- i.e. not a smartphone by conventional terms, being that a smartphone is a platform device that allows software to be installed. That means hungry power-users -- you know, those people ready and willing to plunk down $600 for an 8GB musicphone -- won't be able to extend the functionality of their phone any more than Apple (but thankfully not Cingular) dictates. Other unfortunate realities about the device:

* No 3G. We know you know, but still, it hurts man.
    * No over the air iTunes Store downloads or WiFi syncing to your host machine.
    * No expandable memory.
    * No removable battery.
    * No Exchange or Office support.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icemanjimbo04

ned78 wrote:

The n80 has an onscreen resolution of 416x352. The n90 and n93 are more power consuming as they have 2 displays, both of which have backlights. As an engineer, I can tell you right now, powering two backlights is much more of a drain on a battery, than having 1 large display with 1 backlight. To counter your point of the N95 being any different than the n80 ... (And I can't believe I have to go to the trouble of writing this again) ... Nokia can't even write solid Firmware for the n93 - which was the Flagship model before the n95 was released. What makes you think the battery life on the n80 will be so amazing, and what also makes you believe Nokia will back it up?

Oh, by the way, Nokia list the talk time of the n80 as 3 hours. So try looking at the respective websites and tech specs before you make an argument.

I am comparing the n80 to the iphone as it has a larger screen than the phones you mentioned. 'Mate'.
    I didnt mention battery life either, but i know the N80 battery is useless, and im sure the iphone will be just as bad.
    Duno what your ranting on for. But il leave you to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Bloody brilliant - O2 only id say? they sell ipods as it is....

Price sure wont they just do the 'oul swap $ for € ? 599 for 8GB expensive but look at the thing its like a prototype broke free except 2 years early !

Just got ipod video but come Jan 08 ill be getting this.....now let the wait, build up and hype be gone....

And will ye stop with the Nokia this and that they dont compare !! and wont for a long while either

they just do the 'oul swap $ for € ? 599 for 8GB expensive but look at the thing its like a prototype broke free except 2 years early !

your getting tied into a phone contract too though on top of 599
    when it finally comes out apple will be one of the last big companies to come out with a phone with wifi and music video playback. Looks like apple have a great product but apart maybe from the user interface the're not very far ahead of the rest of them if they are at all. It kind of still is a prototype since it will be a while yet before its ready for the shops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

As I thought might happen.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

yup,so it coming too, apple must known about this but still they went ahead,they could of asked them nicely! imob/icell the new name for iphone!!!

irlrobins wrote:
    As I thought might happen.....

sounds like a pretty big screw up, if apple don't own the name they shouldn't have used it. ipod is an original sounding product name, iphone isn't anything special, they should have come up with a better name or just called it the apple phone

How about ifone?

• Advertisement

how bout "iCom"? its close to both "icon" and "icome".. the latter a reference to alleged activity stateside circa iphone launch.... :rolleyes: :p

ifone is already a registered trademark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,695 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

What about icell

Since that what Americans call mobiles, and it is primarily been marketed to the States for now !

Also gone.

Try searching here

the saxamaphone... or maybe ipodamaphone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Does the iPhone have any significant functional improvements over a PDA such as one of those HP Pocket PCs that can take a SIM card? IE they can both play movies, music, make phone calls, have a touch screen, contacts list etc etc.

(OK, I appreciate the iPhone looks a lot nicer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The main thing with the iphone is the user interface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,695 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I wonder will Microsoft respond - the zune looks pretty dated now -- theyd want to react quicker than normal -- but i'd expect to see a microsoft zune phone in the coming months -- at a cheaper price !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

thebaz wrote:
    I wonder will Microsoft respond - the zune looks pretty dated now -- theyd want to react quicker than normal -- but i'd expect to see a microsoft zune phone in the coming months -- at a cheaper price !
    Obligatory fanboi video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

mollser wrote:
    Heres a Sony that does pretty much everything that the iPhone does, was launched last Feb, so almost a year before Apple.

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/sonyericsson-w950-en.shtml

2 things lacking with iPhone:

FM Radio

I will be getting a SE950 some day! :)

I think it is a combination of the interface and the touchscreen that really sets it apart. They way they have implemented that touchscreen for browsing through the phone (have you seen the footage where you can literally "flip" through the cover art in landscape mode?) is the best I have ever seen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement