Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple iphone!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'll take 7 please. F*cking savage. Search for 'Macworld keynote speech' on YouTube, and go to part 3 (near the end) to see Jobs introducing it and demoing it. Looks amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

Anyone care to take a guess on which networks will actually offer the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Just after having a look at some of the videos on youtube.

I think it seems a bit too nice. Sure, browsing through your albums by album cover is a very nice touch alright, but at the end of the day, I just want to listen to music, a lot of music which wont be on itunes and a lot of music I wont have album art for. Plus I hate browsing by artist/genre etc, give me file tree any day. I'm assuming it has an option to switch to text menus for music:confused:

They say it's easy, but unless you're willing to do everything through iTunes, including buying music/videos etc, it's not going to be so easy, if you want the fancy feel that was portrayed in the video, and you have a load of albums you ripped/obtained elsewhere without album art etc, you're going to have to spend a lot of time and effort searching for the right album art, tagging the files properly and everything else.

Another thing is that this doesn't seem like you'll be able to control it without looking at it or using two hands. This will be a pain for driving with. With my iRiver at the moment, I can pick it up and press once or twice etc on the joystick and I know where I will be and how to navigate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

nick23 wrote:

Probably O2. Moviestar will be offering it in Spain and they own O2.

The more I read about this phone the more disappointing it is. Doesn't have anything that a 1 year old phone can do plus it's not even out for another year. People will say the design is nice but it's basically a copy of this phone. They will also claim how great the multi-touch is, but it's not as innovative as Apple make out. Neonode's z-force more or less does this (implemented differently) and it's been around for years. And the FIC does it exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

nick23 wrote:

I would say vodafone or o2 as they are the biggest.

I hate the way Steve Jobs says all the other models are garbage compared to the iPhone(I guess all companies are going to big up their own product). Most of them are good at what they do and wouldn't be popular if they weren't any use.

I'm not as excited about the iphone as I was initially.

It has a lot of good things going for it. It's very stylish, has multitouch, proximity detector, OS X, google maps, visual voicemail etc.

But there are a few things about it that bother me.

Edge instead of 3g. (Not that big a deal though)
    Only 2 MP camera which isn't as good as some camera phones out already.
    2 year contract with the service provider. Whether it will be the same over here or not is not known, but i've never had a contract phone and i'm not going to start getting one.

This is only the first release though. However, in Jobs' keynote he says they hope to achieve 1% market share by the end 2008, i think it was something like that, anyway so a newer version probably won't be released until then.

Still a cool device and I can't wait to get my hands on one. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

jester77 wrote:

The more I read about this phone the more disappointing it is. Doesn't have anything that a 1 year old phone can do plus it's not even out for another year. People will say the design is nice but it's basically a copy of this phone. They will also claim how great the multi-touch is, but it's not as innovative as Apple make out. Neonode's z-force more or less does this (implemented differently) and it's been around for years. And the FIC does it exactly.

The design of the ke850 is really nice as well. They are both really nice. What is your point here?

And when can I buy that fic thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

The simple thing is this, for all intents and purposes, there is no 3GSM networks in the US. And since Jobs did the right thing by sticking with a global standard, there is no point in producing the device with "euro3G" only for it to be of no use in the initial launch market. I would hazard a guess that the versions we see here will not feature 3G support, but then again, it is possible that they will have UMTS (R99) to replace EDGE in the version they launch in europe and asia, since it would make sence here, but not in the US. Since part of the 2100 band has been freed up in the US as well as 1700, operators there can setup "euro3G" networks using the 2100/1900 bands we are using here, or they can setup a "US3G" 2100/1700 band 3G network. In any case, said 3G networks in the US wont be operational until the iPhone is launched here, if not later, so the second version of the handset will have 3G support in the US and will likly be multiband also, so in addition to Quad band GSM, it could also support both 3G frequency sets allowing for global roaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭JimmNeutron

i want i want i want i want i want i want i want i want i want i want.
    It has probably already been asked but any ideas when this MIGHT be released in ireland on prepaid networks??
    Did i mention i want one, lol:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

jester77 wrote:
    Moviestar?? Aren't they the irish company that post DVD's to your door (ala netflix)?

I think you mean Telefonica?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

daveyjoe wrote:
    Moviestar?? Aren't they the irish company that post DVD's to your door (ala netflix)?

I think you mean Telefonica?

No, he means Movistar (No E), they sponsor a lot of Motorsport too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Movistar is Telefonica's other mobile brand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

As far as it not having 3G, that's not really a problem because Apple has already said that a 3G version is coming. I am also told that this might be as early as December.

The quad band EDGE version will supposedly be available in Ireland in October. My current issues with the iPhone are: it won't be available here for some time, there won't be a 3G version for at least a year.

BuffyBot wrote:
    Movistar is Telefonica's other mobile brand

So it is, you're correct.
    As far as it not having 3G, that's not really a problem because Apple has already said that a 3G version is coming. I am also told that this might be as early as December.

The quad band EDGE version will supposedly be available in Ireland in October. My current issues with the iPhone are: it won't be available here for some time, there won't be a 3G version for at least a year.

Do you really expect Apple to release an iPhone in October and then cripple it 2 months later with a 3g version?

The more that I think about it the more I think that although I want 3g, I don't think it would make much of a difference. I would only use it to check if the odd e-mail came in and to check google maps every now and then. I'm not going to be streaming videos with this thing. Anyway, I will have a WiFi signal at home, at college and at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Loved that! good find

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

All I want is IP to a device with an upgradeable HD (100GB for starters), upgradeable battery, big color screen, 5Mpx CCD, USB re-charging, USB host port, Wi-Fi, and open development platform (preferably Linux) so upgrades can be downloaded for random USB peripherals.

I want to be able to make voip calls, email, browse the web, IM etc over the wi-fi OR cell network. I'm fed up reading juicy tech specs of new phones only to get a slap in the face disclaimer warning that the cellco may not enable all features. And stick the contract syphon, cash will only be forthcoming on a PAYG basis.

That's all I want, apart from the solid gold house and rocket car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It'll have to be 3G here in Ireland. There are no EDGE networks, unless meteor rolls out the EDGE services they've been murmering about for years. Although, now that they've got the former Smart licence, it's looking way less likely.

Solair wrote:
    It'll have to be 3G here in Ireland. There are no EDGE network, unless meteor rolls out the EDGE services they've been murmering about for years. Although, now that they've got the former Smart licence, it's looking way less likely.
    They'll probably give us GPRS, I can't imagine that they would give us 3g while our American counterparts were stuck on EDGE.

Doubt it, they'll have to give us 3G. US networks are about 2+ years behind their European counterparts due to an FCC mess up with frequency allocations for 3G. EDGE in the US is bascially a stopgap measure to provide "2.75G" services until they can get 3G rolled out. A 3G iPhone in America simply woudln't have had any network to support it at this stage.

It's not really a question of what they'll "give us". It's more question of what will simply not sell in Europe. It's 3G or bust. No network in Europe would take a smartphone that only supported GPRS, particularly not one that has video functionality. They didn't invest billions in their 3G stuff just to send the message that it's totally useless.

Situation is exactly the same in Japan too. It will simply have to be 3G, otherwise they might as well not launch it at all.
    Likewise in most of Asia and Australia/NZ etc.

That iPhone might be market leading and revolutionary in the US context, but it's nothing at all new in Europe. Take a look at the Sony Ericsson W950i for example.. (due to launch on 3 soon)

If apple want to make a BIG splash in Europe they'll launch iPhone with HSPDA and be one of the first onto serious mobile broadband type applications.

It also *must* support network-standard features like MMS, Videocalling etc..

A smart phone in Europe without 3G would be like a launching a new Ferrai and putting in an engine from a toyota corolla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Solair wrote:
    It's 3G or bust. No network in Europe would take a smartphone that only supported GPRS, particularly not one that has video functionality. They didn't invest billions in their 3G stuff just to send the message that it's totally useless.

Not all networks have 3G yet, like Meteor here.

• Advertisement

A few points in response to Solair.

First of all, 3G is available in pretty much all big U.S. cities and the rollout continues. It is fair to say that they are behind the rest of the world though when it comes to 3g rollout.

Apple would not release a 3g phone here without it also being available in the U.S. They would simply not do it.

They're are still plenty of GPRS (2.5g) phones coming out and selling well. Most people don't need 3g.

The iPhone is revoloutionary from a user interface (not in terms of straight features) point of view: 320x480 multi-touch display, OS X, integration with yahoo and google apps, Safari, accelerometer, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor. Things like Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) and bluetooth 2.0 are just a bonus.

3G will come to the iPhone but not before the Americans have it in their iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

daveyjoe wrote:
    A few points in response to Solair.

First of all, 3G is available in pretty much all big U.S. cities and the rollout continues. It is fair to say that they are behind the rest of the world though when it comes to 3g rollout.

Apple would not release a 3g phone here without it also being available in the U.S. They would simply not do it.

They're are still plenty of GPRS (2.5g) phones coming out and selling well. Most people don't need 3g.

The iPhone is revoloutionary from a user interface (not in terms of straight features) point of view: 320x480 multi-touch display, OS X, integration with yahoo and google apps, Safari, accelerometer, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor. Things like Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) and bluetooth 2.0 are just a bonus.

3G will come to the iPhone but not before the Americans have it in their iPhone.
    Apple just need to bring out a phone that supports both 2g and 3g like most 3g phones and that will keep everybody happy. i think no 3g capability at that price is a m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Dman001 wrote:
    Actually thats $499 with a 2 year contract

thats not expensive for a phone like this one

Well, if they stick with US specs in Europe they can expect the iPhone to have zero impact and crash and burn in the European market.

If it launches as 2.5G in Japan it will pretty much be a laughing stock.

I would be *very* wary of the fact that it seems to have an unremovable battery, just like the iPod.
    You could easily end up with a very expensive paperweight!

You can look forward to simple little battery changes like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Um4fH7rMk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

without a removable battery or acess port how do you ge the sim in???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Yeah the iPod has totally tanked because you can't change the battery. What were Apple thinking.

The iPhone strikes me as a WiFi iPod with phone capabilities. It might be more of a threat to mobile operators than anything else. You never know, Apple might launch an iPhone-like device without the phone bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

jrey1981 wrote:
    Very similar to Nokia's new N800...

N800 only does wi-fi internet its not a phone......:D

Will a USA bought iphone work ok here on O2? quad band so should be fine right ? Im gettin one sent over- June aint that far off ! Im not too pushed on having 3G....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,582 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

without a removable battery or acess port how do you ge the sim in???

There's a sim bay at the top of the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

For anyone who don't know, you can get a plastic clip to open up the iPod, plus a new battery, for about $30.

• Advertisement

N800 only does wi-fi internet its not a phone......:D

Will a USA bought iphone work ok here on O2? quad band so should be fine right ? Im gettin one sent over- June aint that far off ! Im not too pushed on having 3G....

The O2 network uses normal European standard GSM.
    i.e. GSM on 900mhz and 1800mhz with GPRS for data.
    Any quadband phone that includes those frequencies will be fine.
    However, be aware that the US now uses GSM on 850Mhz, so quadband can sometimes include 2 US frequencies + 1 European. Just check carefully before paying lots of money!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement