Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackhall Place...

Options
  • 09-01-2007 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking about buying a place in Blackhall Place. What's the area like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Depends what you are looking for in an area? or not? as the case may be...

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=16&ll=53.348348,-6.282763&spn=0.007263,0.017338&t=h&om=1

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Depends what you are looking for in an area? or not? as the case may be...

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=16&ll=53.348348,-6.282763&spn=0.007263,0.017338&t=h&om=1
    well, I know it a little rough and ready, but would my car be safe on the street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

Zulu wrote:
    well, I know it a little rough and ready, but would my car be safe on the street?

Not really. Is it an apartment or a house?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Used to be quite famous as a spot for on-street prostitution. Don't know if it still is or not but doesn't really bode well for an area. TBH, Zulu, I'd recommend renting in the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sleepy wrote:
    Used to be quite famous as a spot for on-street prostitution.
    Darned lawyers. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Victor wrote:
    Darned lawyers. ;)

LOL :D

I actually had a look at a place there during the summer (for renting). The guy who owned the place said it was a grand area - no problems, really nice neighbours. Major community spirit going on, as in they'd look out for you whether you were living there all your life or a blow-in. Any sign of trouble, the long-term residents would be on to them immediately - not in a lynch mob manner, but just firm enough to let troublemakers know what's what. The guy was lovely too - very unlikely he was trying to pull the wool over my eyes. His sis lived there anyway. She'd been there three years and some kids messed with one of the side mirrors on her car, but that's it. Not an ounce of trouble besides that. The thing is, though, I just find the area quite grim. I know: you can't be choosy buying in Dublin. But I couldn't see any facilities like, for example, a Centra or Spar. If you needed to get groceries, you'd probably have to go down to Jervis Street. Plus, I wouldn't fancy getting the night bus to the quays and walking from there on my own. As an area it seems to be a mixed bag. A similar area maybe worth investigating would be the Cork Street/Patrick Street area. Inner-city too and relatively affordable, but a bit nicer. Although, again, not much in the line of Tesco etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Dudess wrote:

The guy who owned the place said it was a grand area - no problems, really nice neighbours.

Infairness he isnt gona tell you that dealers are setup in every corner & if you fancy paying for a bit of action Shirley next door is well up for it.

Try asking people who dont have a vested interest in the place what they think like the people here have all ready done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

But I couldn't see any facilities like, for example, a Centra or Spar. If you needed to get groceries, you'd probably have to go down to Jervis Street

There is a 24 hour Centra just a few minutes walk away from Blackhall Place.. in stoneybatter... Also there is a Tesco in the Park Shopping Centre up in Prussia St (about 10 minutes walk) I havnt lived in the area for a while but never had any trouble when i did.. great pubs in Stonebatter and a nice village type atmosphere i thought.

kearnsr, come on, I'm not stupid! You can tell when someone is a genuinely decent person and this guy was. Plus, as I said, his sister was living there three years. I had to ask around myself when I was considering moving in there. A few of my brother's mates live there and they've never had any problems. My friend's mate lives there too and ditto for her. A lot of young people, especially trainee solicitors, live there. My brother's a solicitor and knows tons of them. None of those he asked had anything bad to report. But it's a fairly dreary area in my opinion. Despite the positive feedback, it does look dodgy. And, I don't know, you might feel a bit on edge the whole time, waiting for something to happen.

Edit: Actually that's true, gazzer. Stoneybatter is a lovely area. It's up a small bit from Smithfield. Maybe that might be worth investigating, Zulu? And above it is North Circular Road. A gorgeous part of Dublin, imo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Dudess wrote:
    kearnsr, come on, I'm not stupid! You can tell when someone is a genuinely decent person and this guy was. Plus, as I said, his sister was living there three years. I had to ask around myself when I was considering moving in there. A few of my brother's mates live there and they've never had any problems. My friend's mate lives there too and ditto for her. A lot of young people, especially trainee solicitors, live there. My brother's a solicitor and knows tons of them. None of those he asked had anything bad to report. But it's a fairly dreary area in my opinion. Despite the positive feedback, it does look dodgy. And, I don't know, you might feel a bit on edge the whole time, waiting for something to happen.

Edit: Actually that's true, gazzer. Stoneybatter is a lovely area. It's up a small bit from Smithfield. Maybe that might be worth investigating, Zulu? And above it is North Circular Road. A gorgeous part of Dublin, imo.

I was just pointing out that you shouldnt just take his word for it. He may well have been telling the truth but he could just have easily not be.

• Advertisement

Lived there about 10 years ago, when those apartment blocks on the quays had just gone up. Used to drink in McGettigans. Thought it was a fine area, bit tough maybe but never had any hassle there.

And of course the prostitutes were an unexpected bonus for an innocent fellow up from the country...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I live around there, seems grand to me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Vis- is it safe to park on-street- well, once you exercised all the usual precautions i.e. Do not leave valuables on display (you could also leave the glove compartment open and empty to show there is nothing in it) and have a reasonable alarm and immobiliser installed, any determined thief would most probably go for easier targets.

Blackhall Place has, along with many many areas of Dublin that were previously off-limits to all barr the terminally insane, changed beyond all recognition, and is very much an up-and-coming area.

Ps- no, I'm not trying to sell you anything :)

kearnsr wrote:
    I was just pointing out that you shouldnt just take his word for it. He may well have been telling the truth but he could just have easily not be.

Oh I know. Sorry for being harsh. But I was quite probing :) in my questioning of the guy. In fairness, he did admit that his sister's side mirror had been messed with.

Advertisement