Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic Or Premium?

• 09-01-2007 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

Out of everyone here who is getting the Playstation 3, what model are you going to get?And why are you choosing that model?Is it money or features?
    If you choose one model will you ever settle for the other for whatever reason in the future?

Premium all the way for me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Is it still on for a march rls?

:EDIT:

Premium for me too, if u are going to spend the money on one
    you should get the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

There have been no changes made to the March release date.
    More information will most probably be given at events in February.
    And I agree with you completely if you're going to buy a PS3 you may as well spend the extra €150 for all the extra features, most of which I need anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭andyps2.5

Premium just for the Wi-Fi. I want the online multiplayer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Afaik, the Europe launch is going to be mostly premium PS3's and only a small amount of basic ones. I think Sony said that somewhere, then again most of what they seem to say these days is bull****

If I was to get one, it would be the Premium. Why would someone bother with the sub standard basic package I do not know.

However, for me to get one I would need to be persuaded. As it is the PS3 is losing out to the x360 in quality on most HDTV's due to the Xbox's ANA upscaling chip. The x360 will upscale a 720p signal to 1080i where a ps3 can only down scale the signal, a.k.a only run 720p on a 1080i screen etc. I can see a future hardware revision on the PS3 in the not too distant future. That is, unless through some magical fluke everyone buys 1080p screens and every ps3 game is released in 1080p.

Also, their PS3 to PSP connectivity still seems bollix, well, until their expected March firmware update. I want my PSP to control my ps3 and other such class stuff. They could have a *real* winner with it if they do it right. A wireless video remote control ... or something awesome! Please sony, stop overhyping **** and not delivering and actually do something smart with the amazing technology at your disposal :(

[sorry for the rant]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

I have it pre booked. But wondering what prices are wel looking at... I'm now saving looking at 600euro. And is it a Paddys Day release (17th march)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

It'll be about €630 for just the console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Balls.

Its not about the HD. It about the games. The price is just something we have to put up with.

andyps2.5 wrote:
    Its not about the HD. It about the games.
    Huh :confused:

What do you mean "Huh"? I want ps3 for the games. I don't care about the HD.

• Advertisement

andyps2.5 wrote:
    What do you mean "Huh"? I want ps3 for the games. I don't care about the HD.
    HD = High Definition
    HDD = Hard disk drive

I assume you mean HDD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Premium............ deffo, same as with the 360, why settle for less?? Won't be getting one at launch though, may have to wait untill 2008.
    I know it can be tempting to get the lower spec versions to save a bit of money, but the higher spec ones are well worth the bit extra, its like cars, you are always much happier with the higher spec one.

Winters............ the 1080i res is viewable on any tv/monitor capable of 720p, as it is a lower res. so why or how would the 360 have to upscale to a lower res??

Premium............ deffo, same as with the 360, why settle for less?? Won't be getting one at launch though, may have to wait untill 2008.
    2008?? I know their is high antisipation for the ps3 but 2007 is just of the ground. If you don't book your ps3 I'm guessing a month waiting. Month and half tops.

andyps2.5 wrote:
    2008?? I know their is high antisipation for the ps3 but 2007 is just of the ground. If you don't book your ps3 I'm guessing a month waiting. Month and half tops.

I mean when I will have the time to play with it and the cash to buy it will probably be 2008, or maybe Christmas this year if I am lucky.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

andyps2.5 wrote:

The Wii is out over a month and people are still strugglin to get them and they are very easy to manufacture compared to the PS3.

You'd get one in 2007 but i'd say it'll be very very tough to get one due to the Sony fan base in Ireland snapping them up

Winters............ the 1080i res is viewable on any tv/monitor capable of 720p, as it is a lower res. so why or how would the 360 have to upscale to a lower res??
    The problem is not every TV before the HD standards were used can display 720p but only accept interlaced signals.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    The problem is not every TV before the HD standards were used can display 720p but only accept interlaced signals.
    Well yeah, a TV would have to have a verticle res of 720 or higher to display a 720p image. But as 1080i only outputs 540 lines of info per frame or field. So why would 720 have to be upscaled??

Anyway, it was just a small question to winters, I don't want to hi-jack this thread!!

Sorry AceCard

Well yeah, a TV would have to have a verticle res of 720 or higher to display a 720p image. But as 1080i only outputs 540 lines of info per frame or field. So why would 720 have to be upscaled??

We're not talking about fixed pixel displays LCD/Plasma

Sorry I think thats my fault were supposed to talking about which version of ps3 were getting then I think I changed topic to HD.

Sorry AceCard
    And as for FuzzyWuzzyWazza I guess I hijacked the thread first.:D

Ciaran500 wrote:
    We're not talking about fixed pixel displays LCD/Plasma
    Is there any other kind?????

• Advertisement

The thick chunky CRT TV's aren't fixed pixel displays.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    The thick chunky CRT TV's aren't fixed pixel displays.
    Ok, so a CRT is not a 'FPD', I don't know much abour CRT's, so I don't see how this effects the signal.

How can a CRT display a 1080i signal that has bee upscaled from 720p? Or to put it another way if it can't display 720p signal how is the signal that it can display upscaled?

How can a CRT display a 1080i signal that has bee upscaled from 720p? Or to put it another way if it can't display 720p signal how is the signal that it can display upscaled?
    Because most CRT's display images interlaced, so some are only setup to accept interlaced images. If they want to accept a progressive image they need to interlace the image first which some TV's can't do. But any modern CRT TV will either display the image progressively or interlace before it displays it.

But I'd probably go for the basic version ;)

The Playstation 3 however can’t go up, only down. So a 720p native game can only display at 720p, 540p or 480p at the moment.

http://www.2old2play.com/News/ANA__Microsoft_s_Ace_In_The_Hole

Effectivly, unless *all* developers produce their games in 1080p, the PS3 is only going to be showing them in 720p. It will not be upscaling them to 1080i/p ... unlike the Xbox 360. What is also surprising is that the Xbox360 games are apparently proving better then PS3 games, even after upscaling.

1080i is not a lower resolution then 720p. 1080i/p run at a resolution of 1,920x1,080, 720p runs at a resolution of 1,280x720. TV's that support 720p will usually be able to support a 1080i/p input but will only be showing it at the lower resolution of 720. The difference is between the type of scan, either progressive [p] or interlaced . Interlaced works by only refreshing every other line on a display on each refresh url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlace]wiki[/url. Progressive works by refreshing the entire image on each refresh url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_scan]wiki[/url. Interlaced images are fine for static objects but for fast moving objects/sports etc. progressive scan is better. A lot of people however may notice notice the difference, particularly depending on the game in question.

So, 1080p/i are a larger resolution then 720p. But 720p HDTV's will accecpt a 1080i/p image and just downscale it to 720p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

No reason to apologise, this happens to every thread made.
    I can't wait for this machine though, I think if it does somehow for whatever reason get delayed again I'll be crushed.I have had it booked since August for God's sake!!!

I don’t think they can delay it now. For one thing the US and Japan have their machines. The second reason is some shops have started pre-ordering.

andyps2.5 wrote:
    I don’t think they can delay it now. For one thing the US and Japan have their machines. The second reason is some shops have started pre-ordering.
    It was 2 months before launch when they originally announced the European delay.

Winters wrote:
    Effectivly, unless *all* developers produce their games in 1080p, the PS3 is only going to be showing them in 720p

Just to add ... looks like MotorStorm is only running at 30fps 720p and not the Sony hyped up 60fps at 1080p :( Kudos to Sony's wonderful PR with the PS3 console. They really keep overhyping themselves. Its a pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Winters wrote:
    Just to add ... looks like MotorStorm is only running at 30fps 720p and not the Sony hyped up 60fps at 1080p :( Kudos to Sony's wonderful PR with the PS3 console. They really keep overhyping themselves. Its a pity.

While I'm not overly impressed with what I've seen of gameplay, it is an excellent game graphically... I just wish people (ie sony) would get over this 60 fps 1080p bull****. :confused: First Resistance, now this... They still look pretty!!!

Edge put it pretty well in their Resistance review... When people learned that PGR3 was gonna be 30 fps a lot of them complained or commented, but few complained upon release.

To add something meaningful to the thread... Neither for me, as I'm saving for a HDTV.

• Advertisement

Sony won't stop talking about HD this or 1080p that. Their hypeing us up to sell us the ps3. I just wish they would us the ps3 and let us find out for ourselves. But because of blu-ray problems and tranlations problems we have wait for March.

Advertisement