Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic Or Premium?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

Wasn't it not the issue of longer manufacturing times of the BluRay Diode, rather than actual problems with the Diodes themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭andyps2.5

I don't know. All I heard was there problems with the european version of BluRay and problems with general translation software. The translation software I understand but I'm starting to is BluRay worth the wait. Even if we had the hardware we probably won't see a BluRay disc for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

I can see the PS3 winning this war.. it has so much to offer
    with linux running on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

ricey wrote:
    I can see the PS3 winning this war.. it has so much to offer
    with linux running on it.
    The original Xbox can run Linux, so can the Dreamcast, the gamecube and certain modified PS2's. It's just Sony trying to class the thing as a computer for lower taxes. It's hardly a reason to love the machine and think it's going to win out, much as I love linux it's hardly gonna save a console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Ya of im not going to doubt that linux will save it
    but im looking at the ps3 as a total media center
    kind of console.

• Advertisement

ricey wrote:
    Ya of im not going to doubt that linux will save it
    but im looking at the ps3 as a total media center
    kind of console.

Well with BluRay you will get your total media center. I just hope BluRay is worth the wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Winters wrote:
    Effectivly, unless *all* developers produce their games in 1080p, the PS3 is only going to be showing them in 720p.

Hmmm...?

If a game is 1080p, regardless of what other developers will do, it will be output at 1080p if you have a 1080p screen.

If you don't, it will output at 1080i. If your TV cannot accept a 1080i signal (rare), it will output at SD.

The developer, regardless, can choose to support multiple resolutions if they wish, including 720p explicitly for those few TVs that are 720p but don't accept a 1080i signal. Of course, most games are rendering natively at 720p anyway.

The only place this is a noteable issue is perhaps with Blu-ray. Where if you have a 720p TV, the PS3 will pass a 1080i signal and leave your TV to do the scaling. You'll have seen some complaints about that from videophiles, but I have this exact setup at home, and the movies look absolutely fantastic to me, so I'm not too concerned about that.
    Achilles wrote:
    The original Xbox can run Linux, so can the Dreamcast, the gamecube and certain modified PS2's. It's just Sony trying to class the thing as a computer for lower taxes. It's hardly a reason to love the machine and think it's going to win out, much as I love linux it's hardly gonna save a console.

It's not about taxes, as those taxes no longer apply to game consoles at all. The difference between PS3 and Xbox is that PS3 does not require any modification. Linux installation is actively encouraged, and made very easy. I agree it won't save a system, but for some people it is a very attractive bonus. It could be more attractive for many more if certain software is developed for it - media, HTPC style software etc. If the software for that emerges, you could have a great games machine and a great HTPC in one, which would be very nice.

As for the original poster's question, I went for a 20GB PS3, and I'd recommend it unless you really want wireless. Personally I prefer wired networking for a games system, I think it's more reliable. If you want more hard disk space, a HDD upgrade will cost you far less than the €100 price difference between the two versions. All of that said, I think you should wait to see if the 20GB PS3 will even be available in Ireland - there's talk that only the 60GB model will be available in the UK (and so probably Ireland too).

What version of Linux is everyone here installing?
    I have decided to just go with Yellow Dog, it looks really good.

Yellow Dog looks like the most suitable right now. I have it burned on a disc and ready to install, but waiting for a wireless keyboard/mouse.

Right now it's probably only gonna be of interest if you want to develop on the system. Designed-for-PS3 applications will take a little while to emerge but when they do there'll probably be more interesting stuff for just the general end user. It'd be really great to see some high def media centre software for example.

I seen it available to download also, but I figured what's the point when you can just download the latest build when the PS3 comes out.
    There are sure to be a few tweaks made by the time March gets here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

LookingFor wrote:
    The only place this is a noteable issue is perhaps with Blu-ray. Where if you have a 720p TV, the PS3 will pass a 1080i signal and leave your TV to do the scaling. You'll have seen some complaints about that from videophiles, but I have this exact setup at home, and the movies look absolutely fantastic to me, so I'm not too concerned about that.
    It will be a problem if people want to play their PS3 on their PC monitor if they want a cheap HD experience. Unless they have a wide screen monitor they will be stuck with a horribly squashed and stretched image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Linux is a draw for people like us, but I would be surprised if such people constitute more than a tiny fraction of a percentage point of the potential market. In other words, Linux is not going to save the PS3. In fact, it is looking unlikely that anything will save the PS3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kaizersoze123

Agreed. PS3 is looking in a lot of trouble right now..

from ign.com

"According to an interview in Game Informer magazine, Valve co-founder Gabe Newell has a few bitter words to share on the PlayStation 3. He doesn't pull his punches, calling the system a 'total disaster'.

The quote, sourced from the NeoGAF forums, must be a bitter pill for Sony to swallow, considering the prominence of the source from which it came. Newell is unquestionably a heavyweight in the industry - and another high profile name added to a list of developers voicing dissent against Sony's console.

According to Newell, "The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think It's really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted. I'd say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a "do over". Just say, "This was a horrible disaster and we're sorry and we're going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it". The happy story is the Wii. I'm betting that by Christmas of next year, Nintendo Wii has a larger installed base than the 360. Other people think I'm crazy. I really like everything that Nintendo is doing."

Them's fightin' words, we think. "

According to Newell, "The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think It's really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted. I'd say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a "do over". Just say, "This was a horrible disaster and we're sorry and we're going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it". The happy story is the Wii. I'm betting that by Christmas of next year, Nintendo Wii has a larger installed base than the 360. Other people think I'm crazy. I really like everything that Nintendo is doing."

Them's fightin' words, we think. "

They are fighting words. I don't know who this Newell is but he sounds like someone playing favorites. And a reviewer or critic who play favorites are the worst type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Newell is co-founder of Valve which developed Half-Life. He is not the only game developer to voice dissatisfaction.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    It will be a problem if people want to play their PS3 on their PC monitor if they want a cheap HD experience. Unless they have a wide screen monitor they will be stuck with a horribly squashed and stretched image.

The same would be true even if the PS3 rescaled the image to 720p itself, since 720p is a widescreen aspect ratio. If you view that on a non-widescreen display, then you'll have a squashed/stretched image regardless.

Unless you are suggesting the PS3 ought to scale to any custom resolution and support PC monitor resolutions etc. which would be great. But the most common complaint is the lack of native 720p output for Blu-ray movies - which I'm pointing out is a small complaint as is, IMO, judging how good the movies look anyway when passed as 1080i to a 720p display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

LookingFor wrote:
    The same would be true even if the PS3 rescaled the image to 720p itself, since 720p is a widescreen aspect ratio. If you view that on a non-widescreen display, then you'll have a squashed/stretched image regardless.

Unless you are suggesting the PS3 ought to scale to any custom resolution and support PC monitor resolutions etc. which would be great.
    I mean do it like the 360 where any 4:3 images are scaled to the resolution of the monitor and it adds bars to the top and bottom of a 16:9 image so that its displays at the native res of the monitor and is in the proper format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kaizersoze123

blorg wrote:
    Newell is co-founder of Valve which developed Half-Life. He is not the only game developer to voice dissatisfaction.
    Indeed. John Carmack, of Doom fame, expressed similiar comments recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Wow ign.com have picked up that Newell story? I heard about it a few days ago, and someone who actually bothered to do some investigation found it originated on some random forum claiming it was in an interview on Game Informer which there isn't actually any trace of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

According to this tidbit of information, it looks like it's Premium only for Ireland at launch time.

Don't forget to buy some lube at the same time as you put your deposit down :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Im goin into GAME today, I have it prebooked since bloody August, but Im gonna put down a deposit today.

Well if Ireland are just getting Premium that fine with me. Just means that my odds in getting a ps3 with wi-fi are high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

The Wi-Fi is what would sell the premium to me, what are my options at getting a basic and what do i need to get wi fi on that?

Not sure myself. I'm sure in time you sony may come out with an extenal wi-fi. However this is not garanteed. If you want more info you're best option is to go to the "ps3 question" thead.

Here's the link: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055035516

Advertisement